Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 11:15 AM

756 posts, read 1,653,620 times

Advertisements

Thanks md, It is so much better to hear from someone who LIVES there than to speculate or rely on news. Thank you! I'll share with Mrs. Friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 05:30 PM

54 posts, read 122,352 times
What does "parkies" mean? I see that occasionally in these posts. Thanks for the invaluable info on heat pumps. From NYS - who knew?

Old 03-10-2010, 07:34 PM

442 posts, read 1,509,171 times
Default Parkies explained

The Parkies are a couple who shared their move from Sunny San Diego to the mountains of WNC on this forum. They started and participated in numerous threads on many topics that were of interest to others who want to move there. And some of us know them as friends and are blessed.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:19 PM

13 posts, read 33,371 times
Have you looked in the Fairview area outside Asheville? I'm a realtor south in Polk County NC because I'm not a snow fan other than when I'm skiing. Living here in the thermal bel I get the mountains with more temperate weather. I do love the Asheville area and was ECO-certified by the board there so have many ECO realtor friends into green building. I like the Black Mountain/Fairview side of Asheville. My favorite produce stand is in Fairview where you pick out what you want and leave your money in the jar. Not many areas are left where you could do that!

To find properties, Realtor.com is a great source for do-it-yourself buyers and then connect with the listing agent for details. There are so many FSBO internet sites for non-MLS properties and the Zillow's and Craigslist-type, newspaper ads, local bulletin boards to search out. It sounds like you feel you can handle the negotiating part. You may have to get creative. I just had to pay for a $400 new door to make a deal work because the seller would only repair the door and the buyer would only accept a new one. It was listed in the inspection as needing repair.

I'll add my 2 cents on the realtor issue. I DO work with FSBO's and also pocket listings of houses that aren't officially on the market anywhere. So many people knowing I'm a realtor tell me to keep their place in mind because they want to sell but they don't want to list or have it advertised. FSBO's tend to overprice their property and a good realtor won't agree to list for an inflated price that won't appraise. You don't always get a better deal on "by owners". The pay I get for the hours I spend looking for properties for buyers probably would be less than minimum wage if I figured it out but I love doing it. Not all realtors are about the money. I do not sell McMansion properties because I'm an environmentalist. I'm on the Save Our Slopes board so I don't sell on mountain ridges. I am required to disclose to buyers things about an area or a property that the sellers are not and may not even know. The attorney can do your contract for you but will most likely not know anything about what you're buying other than the title search the para-legal does. If you don't go through a realtor, do your research well. Get an appraisal and look at the comps so you know you're getting a fair deal. Get an inspection. Look at the county maps and be sure you're not in a flood plain or landslide area. Get title insurance. If the home is on a septic tank, be sure there is a recorded permit for the number of bedrooms. If it's city water and sewage, verify that. Check the details. And good luck.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:30 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,223,946 times
Fantastic post Stroupek! Thanks for sharing

Old 03-12-2010, 06:03 PM

758 posts, read 2,287,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves mountains View Post
The Parkies are a couple who shared their move from Sunny San Diego to the mountains of WNC on this forum. They started and participated in numerous threads on many topics that were of interest to others who want to move there. And some of us know them as friends and are blessed.
Oh my, Loves mountains, thank you! We certainly share your feeling that we are blessed by friends we have found on this forum--including you and GuyFriendly. We can't wait til you move here! Your for-sale listing starts up again in 19 days, I believe. Please send prayers up, everyone, for Loves mountains, that she and her husband will sell quickly and start living their WNC dream!

Jan

Old 03-12-2010, 08:51 PM

442 posts, read 1,509,171 times
Thanks, Jan. We are hopeful that Spring will be mild and things will green up quickly. All it takes is one buyer who appreciates our private screened porch and the clematis and hydrangea and the yellow finches... see how easy it is to get carried away by Spring Fever? I have daffodils poking their foolish heads up, even though a sticking snow is likely in the next two weeks. We appreciate all of the good vibes sent out by our forum friends. -Liz

Old 03-12-2010, 09:59 PM

758 posts, read 2,287,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves mountains View Post
Thanks, Jan. We are hopeful that Spring will be mild and things will green up quickly. All it takes is one buyer who appreciates our private screened porch and the clematis and hydrangea and the yellow finches... see how easy it is to get carried away by Spring Fever? I have daffodils poking their foolish heads up, even though a sticking snow is likely in the next two weeks. We appreciate all of the good vibes sent out by our forum friends. -Liz
Aha! THAT'S what Guy's got--Spring Fever!--lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina