Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 08:00 PM

44 posts, read 98,747 times

Advertisements

Don't get me wrong, I do like Wichita but for a city its size it really needs a little bit of a taller skyline. While Wichita isn't the smallest city on the I-35 corridor (Only Des Moines is smaller), it defintely has the smallest skyline. I spent some time in Oklahoma this weekend and stopped briefly in Tulsa and OKC and both of their skylines are pretty neat to look at especially with that HUGE new tower going up in downtown OKC. I think it's called the Devon Energy Tower and it's supposed to be close to 60 stories and I think nearly 900 feet when it's done. Tulsa's skyline is a product of the oil companies of the past before they left and went to places like Houston and Dallas. Tulsa has some really cool art deco skyscrapers and one of them is basically a smaller version of the former world trade center of NYC which from what I understand was designed by the same architect.

While I realize Wichita doesn't have some of the bigger named companies headquartered there like those cities, I would've at least thought that with Wichita formerly being home to some of the companies that started here like Pizza Hut, or Rent A Center or some of the aircraft companies before they were sold to larger entities would've built some larger towers downtown. I wish Koch Industries could be convinced to move downtown and build a large gleaming office tower. I know Wichita is getting things going downtown and had the Intrust Arena opened for a year now, but I just want to see some more larger towers go up as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 08:33 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,979,061 times
I used to see you on SkyscraperPage. Glad to see you're still around representing Wichita.

Wichita's skyline suffers from quality as much as quantity. I think a few strategically placed buildings could really change it. As it is now, it's too spread out. Des Moines' skyline is nice, but I think it's as much the placement of buildings as it is quantity.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:37 PM

145 posts, read 609,886 times
I never quite understood why build up when we can build outward on the land? We have plenty of land to go around! Why does a taller building represent a better business culture?

Old 09-13-2011, 02:00 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant6 View Post
. I wish Koch Industries could be convinced to move downtown and build a large gleaming office tower. .
You sound like you have blind allegiance to all things corporate.

Read the facts:

Smithsonian Dragged into Climate Denial Controversy

Old 09-13-2011, 04:54 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post

Read the facts:

Granite we can both agree so does Indianapolis but not going to happen Economy is to rough right now.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:12 PM

44 posts, read 98,747 times
Quote:

Read the facts:

What does that have to do with anything I mentioned? I'm just stating that Koch Inudstries is basically Wichita's largest (private) company and second largest in the US, I just would like to see them build a skyscraper or if not Koch Industries then someone else downtown. No where did I say I just blindly follow them or have allegiance to them and no company has a perfect track record on things. Traditionally speaking, a large company headquartered in a city is the one most likely to build a skyscraper if they decide to move downtown which is why, as an example, I mentioned Oklahoma City and the large high rise going up in its downtown thanks to Devon Energy wanting to move their entire corporate headquarters into a large office tower. If other proposals came in from other places, I could care less about Koch Industries building anything. I just want to see Wichita's skyline get bigger whether that be a condo tower, mixed use high rise, or a straight up office tower.

Hey Mokan, glad to see you still remember me. I tend to agree with you that what Wichita has right now isn't that great either, but at least it's still a skyline. I know the last major mid-rise to high rise built was that Hyatt hotel. I know the city today approved incentives for a new boutique hotel to be built downtown but I think that's just an older building being converted into a hotel. As more things get going downtown, I can only hope that it will eventually lead to something bigger or proposals for newer, taller buildings.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant6 View Post
What does that have to do with anything I mentioned? I'm just stating that Koch Inudstries is basically Wichita's largest (private) company and second largest in the US, I just would like to see them build a skyscraper or if not Koch Industries then someone else downtown. No where did I say I just blindly follow them or have allegiance to them and no company has a perfect track record on things. Traditionally speaking, a large company headquartered in a city is the one most likely to build a skyscraper if they decide to move downtown which is why, as an example, I mentioned Oklahoma City and the large high rise going up in its downtown thanks to Devon Energy wanting to move their entire corporate headquarters into a large office tower. If other proposals came in from other places, I could care less about Koch Industries building anything. I just want to see Wichita's skyline get bigger whether that be a condo tower, mixed use high rise, or a straight up office tower.

Hey Mokan, glad to see you still remember me. I tend to agree with you that what Wichita has right now isn't that great either, but at least it's still a skyline. I know the last major mid-rise to high rise built was that Hyatt hotel. I know the city today approved incentives for a new boutique hotel to be built downtown but I think that's just an older building being converted into a hotel. As more things get going downtown, I can only hope that it will eventually lead to something bigger or proposals for newer, taller buildings.
It shows that Koch Industries has a very poor track record at all when it comes to the environment or conservation. The fact that it spends the most lobbying dollars to deny any human involvement for warming the climate speaks volumes to me. Most large corporations are nothing like Koch Industries. If you say Koch is the largest employer I would watch where the political $$$ are flowing to the Kansas Republican reps. The way the Kansan corporate & political atmosphere is structured is very much like Texas...

Also, if you want to know why Wichita has lagged behind it is due to the fact that the state of Kansas spends massive amounts of corporate welfare to attract more jobs from KC, MO to Johnson County, KS while not really caring about large areas of the rest of the state. A few exceptions do exist but not many.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 09-13-2011 at 08:33 PM..

Old 09-13-2011, 06:19 PM

378 posts, read 1,621,243 times
Quote:
It shows that Koch Industries has a very poor track record at all when it comes to the environment or conservation. The fact that it spends the most lobbying dollars to deny any human involvement for warming the climate speeks volumes to me. Most large corporations are nothing like Koch Industries. If you say Koch is the largest employer I would watch where the political $$$ are flowing to the Kansas Republican reps. The way the Kansan corporate & political atmosphere is structured is very much like Texas...

Also, if you want to know why Wichita has lagged behind it is due to the fact that the state of Kansas spends massive amounts of corporate welfare to attract more jobs from KC, MO to Johnson County, KS while not really caring about large areas of the rest of the state. A few exceptions do exist but not many.
Let's get back on topic, please. Try not to derail threads.

I agree Defiant - new, taller buildings would do wonders for Wichita's skyline.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athfo View Post
Let's get back on topic, please. Try not to derail threads.

I agree Defiant - new, taller buildings would do wonders for Wichita's skyline.
Agreed

Old 09-13-2011, 10:28 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
As for Koch Industries, if the CEO lived in a high rise condo downtown, the headquarters may very well be walking distance to him, or linked by skyway.

As it is now, he may be walking distance to a golf club, and why should he care if his employees live downtown and commute to a suburban headquarters building?

Look at the long list of Fortune 500 companies still located in bankrupt California. Why should the CEO care if his employees have to suffer!

Why isn't at least one relocating to Wichita, or somewhere else, where there's a better business climate?

Last edited by tijlover; 09-13-2011 at 10:28 PM.. Reason: edit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita