Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 10:21 AM

44 posts, read 98,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
It shows that Koch Industries has a very poor track record at all when it comes to the environment or conservation. The fact that it spends the most lobbying dollars to deny any human involvement for warming the climate speaks volumes to me. Most large corporations are nothing like Koch Industries. If you say Koch is the largest employer I would watch where the political $$$ are flowing to the Kansas Republican reps. The way the Kansan corporate & political atmosphere is structured is very much like Texas...

Also, if you want to know why Wichita has lagged behind it is due to the fact that the state of Kansas spends massive amounts of corporate welfare to attract more jobs from KC, MO to Johnson County, KS while not really caring about large areas of the rest of the state. A few exceptions do exist but not many.
I have actually noticed that and that is quite concerning to me. I know Johnson County is a very rapidly growing suburban area of Kansas City, but why lure companies away from the main city of the metro area instead of working as a whole unit for the entire metro region? I remember reading a few months ago some large office complex being built in some part of that county and also I think they were trying to lure AMC headquarters over to the Kansas side and they were successful at luring another company that was headquartered in KC over to JO. I mean it would've been better if they lured them to Wichita instead so they could build larger towers in its downtown. I'm just kidding on that last part .

Anyways, back to the main topic. I remember reading and finding some stuff online about some of the current buildings in downtown Wichita. Wichita's tallest building, the Epic Center, was originally supposed to have a twin tower but with the real estate bust that happened in the late 80s, the second tower was scrapped. There's another building in downtown also that currently houses the banking operations for Bank of America of Wichita that was originally supposed to be a 30 story tower and I think 400 to 500 feet tall. I think the developer of that building decided he wanted to save money and reduced it by half making it a 15 story building. I just imagine what Wichita's skyline would be like had the Epic Center's twin been built and that other building had stuck to its orginial design.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 02:13 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,920,852 times
Koch Industries will never relocate downtown. The Koch headquarters is operated like a third world dictator's compound and the employees are under suveillance and their actions controlled from the minute they enter the parking lot. The execs would never be happy with a situation in which their employees could park offsite, leave the campus for lunch and basically have any freedom during the workday. When you work for Koch, it is like being absorbed by the Borg from the minute you get dressed and leave your house each day. They are a horrible company to work for and the last thing they want is to do anything to improve Wichita or the Wichita economy. Koch relies heavily on the fact that the terrible Wichita job market leaves them a captive audience of employees that have no choice but to put up with the crappy working conditions and treatment.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:29 PM

44 posts, read 98,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Koch Industries will never relocate downtown. The Koch headquarters is operated like a third world dictator's compound and the employees are under suveillance and their actions controlled from the minute they enter the parking lot. The execs would never be happy with a situation in which their employees could park offsite, leave the campus for lunch and basically have any freedom during the workday. When you work for Koch, it is like being absorbed by the Borg from the minute you get dressed and leave your house each day. They are a horrible company to work for and the last thing they want is to do anything to improve Wichita or the Wichita economy. Koch relies heavily on the fact that the terrible Wichita job market leaves them a captive audience of employees that have no choice but to put up with the crappy working conditions and treatment.
Were you a former employee there? I've heard mixed things from some people who I've known that had worked there. Some liked it, but others had said some things about Koch similar to you.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:26 PM

26,428 posts, read 46,607,911 times
^
I think a number of people living in Wichita would just be better off if they moved to the Kansas City region instead when it comes to employment opportunities...

Old 09-16-2011, 09:16 AM
Sco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant6 View Post
Were you a former employee there? I've heard mixed things from some people who I've known that had worked there. Some liked it, but others had said some things about Koch similar to you.

I have several friends and a brother that have worked for Koch and they all hated it. If you are considering going to work there, all I can say is make sure you do your research. The turnover rate at Koch is tremendous and most people work there for less than 2 years before moving on. Anybody that would relocate to Wichita for a job at Koch is insane.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
I have several friends and a brother that have worked for Koch and they all hated it. If you are considering going to work there, all I can say is make sure you do your research. The turnover rate at Koch is tremendous and most people work there for less than 2 years before moving on. Anybody that would relocate to Wichita for a job at Koch is insane.
Along with the fact that they deny any human involvement in climate change as well and fund organizations to advance their agenda.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:31 AM
Sco

Quote:
Along with the fact that they deny any human involvement in climate change as well and fund organizations to advance their agenda.

Yes, but to some people that is a feature not a bug. To even survive the interview process you will at least have to pretend to be a far right wing extremist. I know one person that was fired a few days after they decided not to contribute to KochPAC and their boss found out.

Old 09-17-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Yes, but to some people that is a feature not a bug. To even survive the interview process you will at least have to pretend to be a far right wing extremist. I know one person that was fired a few days after they decided not to contribute to KochPAC and their boss found out.
That is just crazy. I really wonder about the legality of them doing something like that...

Old 09-18-2011, 08:26 AM
Sco

Quote:
That is just crazy. I really wonder about the legality of them doing something like that...
At-will employment state, they don't need a reason. I think you would also have an impossible time finding an attorney to take your case since Koch owns most of the politicians and judges in Kansas. They don't keep their headquarters in a mid-size backwater like Wichita because they like the weather and scenery.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
At-will employment state, they don't need a reason. I think you would also have an impossible time finding an attorney to take your case since Koch owns most of the politicians and judges in Kansas. They don't keep their headquarters in a mid-size backwater like Wichita because they like the weather and scenery.
I figured that was the case... Research plutocratic corporatism. It's already occurring in Kansas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita