Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 08:30 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times

Advertisements

This thread was started in 2008 so maybe the OP can come back and tell us what she has learned.

I thought St. Louis was crime ridden. I don't think Wichita has that many problems. We aren't afraid but we also lock our doors. I don't think anyone leaves their doors open anymore unless you live in a very small town where everyone knows everyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 09:05 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,894,838 times
If I were moving to the Wichita area, I would move to Maize. It is a nice community and is just north of a nice, new shopping district.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:03 PM

Maize and north Wichita are almost one now. Check out the taxes on houses. Maybe one would be better tax wise.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,112 times
I want to move to the witchita area from texas.. I have a 3 yr old daughter and i am a single mother. If anyone knows a cheap and safe area in wichita that wold be a great help

Old 01-06-2011, 01:37 AM

Look at the crime map of Wichita, it will show you what crimes happen and where. Wichita is a relatively safe city.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:07 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,191,352 times
Need more info, budget, housing preferences etc.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:42 PM

41 posts, read 146,835 times
I just moved to Wichita from MA.. so far I LOVE it, weather has been good (minus the past cloudy "colder" days, by cold I mean 60-70 degrees LOL) before it was 75-85 & sunny, not to bad for April! also haven't really seen any of this "rain" you guys speak of, besides a quick 10-15min shower, then the sun comes out again... thought it was rainy season?!? I live in NW Wichita & it feels pretty safe to me, lots of people always out walking, riding bikes, doing outdoor stuff etc.

Have only been here since April 3, so haven't really experienced summer, fall & winter yet but I'm sure its a walk in the park compared to Boston when you say "freezing winters" do you mean 5 degrees outside & its too cold to snow, or do you mean around 30? because back home we stop wearing jackets when it hits 30! lets not forge the fact that last winter it was 50s-60s around xmas & Jan (got flash floods in March/April -it literally rained the ENTIRE month, just DOWN POURED! it was crazy!), then this winter we got over 70in of snow in THREE storms! then we had a week when it was 60s in the beg of March, snow magically disappeared, and we got another snow storm APRIL 1 where it snowed then turned to freezing rain, next day was 60. we also have more rain/downpour days in the summer than we do hot sunny days, so consider yourselves lucky? also, heard someone complaining about the humidity on one of the warmer days.. its not humid until the stuff in you're fridge is sweating the second you open the door! I honestly don't understand how people still even live in MA lol

can't wait to see some awesome storms too!

Old 04-21-2011, 03:31 PM

We have many perfect days in the 70s and 80s so don't listen to the Debbie Downers. Spring and Fall is when you will find them. We do have storms and tornadoes but in recent years it seems other states have them more. Just look at North Carolina now. Last year I think we had maybe 2 or 3 tornado warnings. That is unusual for us so I am enjoying it. Lived here all my life and have had only 2 small ones come near me but not a big one. Take precautions and don't worry.

It can get hot in the summer but with the AC it shouldn't bother you that much. Do yard work in the evenings or mornings. Winter can be cold and snowy but you are probably use to driving in it since you come from snowy country. It usually does not last long like in the NE states. The snows usually melts before another storm comes through.

We are in the middle of the country so we get lots of different weather patterns. Good thing is most don't last long so we don't have the hot or cold for months on end.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:35 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,191,352 times
The previous post stated it will. I've noticed about every 3 hours north or south the temps can vary another 5 or even 10 degrees. It it's 50 degrees here it's 45 in KC and 55 in OKC and 60 in Dallas and 65 in Austin. That's pretty rough. The entire center of the country has very unpredictiable weather patterns. It can be hard to deal with. I don't mind the temps but the relentless wind can be irritating. January and the first half of February were very cold this year, however December and the end of February had some very nice days. I think February had some record setting days near 80 degrees this year. We don't have lots of 80 degree days in the dead of winter but a 3 or 4 times a winter we will get spells of very warm weather. It's not all bad here. I just wish that for the love of God, it would rain here. I've lived here 3 years, this coming August, and I swear it never rains. It always develops east of here. I would bet Augusta gets double the rainfall, or so it seems. If something doesn't change, we will be like Texas very soon.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:39 PM

41 posts, read 146,835 times
no rain works for me I looked up the averages in ma... Boston has an average of 98 clear days in a year & 164 cloudy days... Wichita has only 70 cloudy days & 115 sunny days and the average wind speed is about the same, consider yourselves lucky, i found myself sitting in the house most of the winter bc there was 6ft of snow on the ground, the fall is the rainiest season, spring has its nice days (whenever it decides to show) but last august it was too hot to leave the house.. think they even went into state of emergency bc it was too hot & humid out lol

today was gorgeous!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita