Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 03:06 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,772,368 times

Advertisements

The clinic looks like it will not reopen. How badly will this affect the economy and tourisim industries in Wichita? Tiller's clinic brought in thousands of tourist that stayed in Wichita hotels and spent money there. It is probably the biggest tourist draw the city had- being one of only a very few places where a legal third trimester abortion could be had. It could prove to be costly to Wichita's economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 04:07 PM

61 posts, read 269,906 times
I find it odd that Tillers clinic brought in tourists. I would like the ones that came for the service took care of their "business" and left. What they went through clearly was not a "vacation."
Just curious about where you got your information about the relationship between Tillers clinic and tourism in Wichita.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:45 PM

271 posts, read 251,785 times
I am not sure it is a mark against Wichita. It is a mark against the Christian Right that hyped up the hate against these people who do not see the world through the same blinders that they themselfs do. I is bad for people like O'Riley who pushed the hate speech to the limits and helped to push killers like the idiot mad man who shot Tiller. I do not think it helps Wichita, no bad press is good for a town. But in the short and long run I do not think that Wichita will suffer becaues of this. I am sad to see the clinic shut down, but I also think it is a lot like when Wallace sent out his goons to beat the marchers on the Pettis bridge. When the nation saw the violence it was a huge backlash against the racists. The nation is turning away from old polocys, the Republicans have not learned that they are holding to old out dated ways. 70% of the people want a national or public health care system, 69% think that gays should be allowed to marry or have civil unions. The nation is also growing in the number of people who do not believe in talking snakes and a big space god. Republicans think Obama got elected because they were just not conservitave enough. A lot like thinking that we have not won the minds of the Iraq people because we have just not killed and raped enough of them. They are in the woods for a reason.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:28 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,457,595 times
Wichita has a bad reputation nationally due to this and the BTK story on Dateline NBC (and both involved churches!!!). Coming from Houston on I-35, I saw billboards in OKC bashing Wichita as the baby killing capital. I just laughed it off as a inter-city rivalry but it seems to be true after this. Weird things seem to happen there.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:11 PM

So Oklahoma supports Terrorists?

Old 06-09-2009, 07:15 PM

How many brain cells have the Christians killed by making people listen to them drone on sundays about talking snakes.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:25 PM

559 posts, read 1,758,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talbet View Post
So Oklahoma supports Terrorists?
ummm.... no.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansasfornow View Post
I find it odd that Tillers clinic brought in tourists. I would like the ones that came for the service took care of their "business" and left. What they went through clearly was not a "vacation."
Just curious about where you got your information about the relationship between Tillers clinic and tourism in Wichita.
Tiller brought in people from all over the nation because his clinic was one of only three in the country that did late term abortions. I do not know exact numbers but I would guess that well over half of his patients were from other places.

Old 06-13-2009, 04:03 PM

822 posts, read 2,047,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Tiller brought in people from all over the nation because his clinic was one of only three in the country that did late term abortions. I do not know exact numbers but I would guess that well over half of his patients were from other places.
Yes, it is obvious, with Tiller's clinic being one of very few third trimester abortion clinics in the country that many of his patients were from out of state but how does that relate to tourism per se?

Old 06-13-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1969 View Post
Yes, it is obvious, with Tiller's clinic being one of very few third trimester abortion clinics in the country that many of his patients were from out of state but how does that relate to tourism per se?
When people come from other states come to your state and stay in hotels and eat at restaurants they make the local economy better. When they don't the economy suffers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
View detailed profiles of: