Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 07:31 PM

612 posts, read 1,843,766 times

Advertisements

I am deciding between KU and Wichita State as colleges I would like to transfer to. A couple of years ago I was dead set about going to KU but I've been there quite a few times and I don't think there's much to the town. Don't get me wrong, it's an awesome town with great spirits. But I really don't want to go where everyone is going around here.

I currently go to Johnson County CC and I enjoy going to school in a "bigger" town because Overland Park has a lot to offer but not everything.

So if anyone in Wichita or preferably Wichita State could tell me how life is around the campus? I've only been there once for my high school baseball championship a few years ago but only saw the stadium (old Royals minor league team stadium) and the hotel across the river.

I want to be able to go to bars, golf, catch some shows, etc. Plus what good cities to visit nearby for small road trips?

ANY info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Johnny B!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 12:43 AM

378 posts, read 1,621,466 times
I attended Wichita State for 4 years. Watch out, because people will post in here and slam Wichita. I say give it a chance, which you seem to be willing to do. The biggest advantage of Wichita State over KU, in my opinion, is the availability of getting real world job experience while attending school and having a network of people when you graduate. Many Shockers are non-traditional students - most certainly not all, but there is a good chunk of them. Wichita State also has the most diverse student population in Kansas, with only about 65% white. Students and faculty, like most colleges, tend to be liberal. The area immediately around the campus is low-income and prone to crime. However, the neighborhoods of College Hill, Riverside, Delano, Old Town and others are where you'll want to be. You won't get the high percentage of students relative to the overall population that Lawrence has because of KU, but no matter - Wichita has a diverse population. Wichita State students, in my experience, seem to be more focused on their careers and many often work while attending school. Golf? Certainly and yes. Bars? Yep. Catch some shows? Heck yeah.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:04 PM

46 posts, read 230,785 times
I went to WSU for a year before transferring but I will be the first to say the school itself is fantastic! The problem I had with it was the people. The students at WSU are pretty uninteresting and only interested in hanging out with their friends from high school. Most of the students are either from around Wichita or from India and Nigeria. If you can stand to hang out with them, the greek houses are about the only way to meet people at that school.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:56 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,268,829 times
Not that this is that relevant but I was just on the WSU campus a few weeks ago. I liked it and thought it was a nice looking campus. The surrounding area may be a little sketchy but as long as you stay on campus it's nice.

Also a neat surprise was when I walked by the original Pizza Hut that is still standing in the middle of everything. File:FirstPizzaHut.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-08-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athfo View Post
I attended Wichita State for 4 years. Watch out, because people will post in here and slam Wichita. I say give it a chance, which you seem to be willing to do. The biggest advantage of Wichita State over KU, in my opinion, is the availability of getting real world job experience while attending school and having a network of people when you graduate. Many Shockers are non-traditional students - most certainly not all, but there is a good chunk of them. Wichita State also has the most diverse student population in Kansas, with only about 65% white. Students and faculty, like most colleges, tend to be liberal. The area immediately around the campus is low-income and prone to crime. However, the neighborhoods of College Hill, Riverside, Delano, Old Town and others are where you'll want to be. You won't get the high percentage of students relative to the overall population that Lawrence has because of KU, but no matter - Wichita has a diverse population. Wichita State students, in my experience, seem to be more focused on their careers and many often work while attending school. Golf? Certainly and yes. Bars? Yep. Catch some shows? Heck yeah.
I was counting on ya to answer! Thanks! How far is Oldtown from the campus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanatlarge View Post
I went to WSU for a year before transferring but I will be the first to say the school itself is fantastic! The problem I had with it was the people. The students at WSU are pretty uninteresting and only interested in hanging out with their friends from high school. Most of the students are either from around Wichita or from India and Nigeria. If you can stand to hang out with them, the greek houses are about the only way to meet people at that school.
What about the school was so fantastic? What you think about the school was fantastic may not be so for me. If ya could be a little more specific. I'm not surprised that alot of the kids attending there are from there. I don't plan on joining any frats but I can easily make friends so that won't be a big problem. Thanks for your help as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
Not that this is that relevant but I was just on the WSU campus a few weeks ago. I liked it and thought it was a nice looking campus. The surrounding area may be a little sketchy but as long as you stay on campus it's nice.

Also a neat surprise was when I walked by the original Pizza Hut that is still standing in the middle of everything. File:FirstPizzaHut.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Haha I've seen that picture many times. I think we drove by it on the way to my baseball game few years ago.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:52 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
This might sound stupid but WHY would you want to "choose" between Wichita State and K.U.?? That is sort of like "I have to choose between a Lexus and a Chevy" because I can have either. K.U. is a national college. It is known everywhere and is the Cadallic of Kansas schools.
Wichita State is a 3rd tier commuter school for the most part (Kansas State being number 2). That does not mean it is bad but a degree from there is not going to open the doors a degree from KU would. WSU is where people go when they could not get into KU or KSU.
If living in Wichita appeals to you then by all means go for it but if you want a real education with a degree that will get you in the door anywhere, go to KU!

Old 07-09-2009, 07:35 AM

378 posts, read 1,621,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bananas View Post
I was counting on ya to answer! Thanks! How far is Oldtown from the campus?
About 4 miles away, depending on the time of day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
That does not mean it is bad but a degree from there is not going to open the doors a degree from KU would. WSU is where people go when they could not get into KU or KSU.
That so? Funny, because living in Lawrence will NEVER get you the on-the-job training you can get in Wichita. Nor will it get you the connections to people in your career. I won't disagree that KU is more well known nationally, but you can't discredit WSU because of this. Just saying.

KevK, you often put Wichita down, but you haven't lived here, by your own accord, for quite some time. Also just saying.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:52 AM

A lot of WSU engineering students regularly land internships at local aero companies. That sure wasn't an easy thing to accomplish at my Uni. (ie get a summer intern gig in the same town I went to college in)

Old 07-09-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
This might sound stupid but WHY would you want to "choose" between Wichita State and K.U.?? That is sort of like "I have to choose between a Lexus and a Chevy" because I can have either. K.U. is a national college. It is known everywhere and is the Cadallic of Kansas schools.
Wichita State is a 3rd tier commuter school for the most part (Kansas State being number 2). That does not mean it is bad but a degree from there is not going to open the doors a degree from KU would. WSU is where people go when they could not get into KU or KSU.
If living in Wichita appeals to you then by all means go for it but if you want a real education with a degree that will get you in the door anywhere, go to KU!
I understand KU is more "superior" to WSU but I have my reasons for considering other schools. WSU is not the only school I'm considering along with KU. I'm looking out of state as well but I'm supporting myself independently so I'm really going to have to choose wisely. Reasons for considering other colleges:
1) Everyone I know goes to KU. I'm not saying that's bad, but I'm always looking for somewhere to start fresh. Last time I checked, I only have one friend at WSU and 212 friends at KU (according to my Facebook).
2) WSU is cheaper by almost $3,000 a term which may not be a lot but will help me out some.
3) Wichita in general is closer to my favorite cities down South in OK and TX. It would cut a trip 2-4 hours.
4) I would enjoy living in a bigger city than Overland Park let alone Lawrence.

I could go on and on about why to go to WSU. As for KU:

A lot of KU stuff will pretty much limit myself to around the KU campus. The one advantage is like you said probably more job opportunities with "KU Graduate" on my resume. I've always enjoy visiting KU. I love the school spirit there, etc. But for a 20 year old, I've grown out of school spirit and partying.

Now I'm not saying for sure that I'm going to WSU. I'm looking around. I've got 6 months to figure it out.

Thanks Kev.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:51 PM

I didn't think the difference in price between WSU and KU would be so high....$3k/term?

If you asked me to choose I'd go to KU...but that's me. It's a name brand college that gets national recognition. Whereas WSU....maybe not so much.

I'll give you some perspective on that subject. I went to the University of Missouri-Rolla (aka Missouri S&T). If you are from this part of the country you're likely familiar with it. Well if you go outside of about a 500mi radius some folks may start to be a little unfamiliar. By the time you reach California, NY or Florida it's highly likely that no one....NO ONE...has ever heard of Rolla. I may as well have gone to some random JuCo as far as they're concerned. (WSU and UMR are probably pretty similar in the level of recognition they recieve)

Also some employers have a sort of Black Book of schools. They basically have a grading system for the schools in there. There's an 'A' list which contains the preferred schools they like to recruit from....and it goes down hill from there. Some will also pay more if you went to a school on the 'A' list (I know this for a fact).

In the end it's up to you in what you decide but don't take the 'name brand' point so lightly.

Last edited by drjones96; 07-09-2009 at 03:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas > Wichita