Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2011, 07:35 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,361,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Huh? There hasn't been any snow or weather that would prohibit travel yet. If what little bit there has been is going to keep you from traveling, maybe North Dakota is not for you.
It's been snowing on and off for a few days now. The roads were really vicious a couple days ago and, as usual, they haven't really been maintaining them at all.

Not only that, but people are driving freaking nuts. While I was waiting to turn left behind about 4 cars, a truck about 5 cars behind me actually drove down the wrong side of the road then turned left at the same time the car in front did almost causing a wreck.

Unfortunately, that was not surprising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 08:59 PM

249 posts, read 645,349 times
socalsfinest - Best training for driving in snow: Get into a vacant big ole parking lot (hopefully without streetlights in the lot) and just spin away.... practice there as much as you can, perfecting all sorts of maneuvers...

Old 11-17-2011, 10:20 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
I hear from very good sources, drivers. That if you have a clean record, are drug free, and w/ all those endorsements.....You will get a job, just apply, and be ready to drug test....Not sure what they are paying for sure. But there are companies that haul water, there are companies that haul crude, waste....tons of trucking jobs. I would watch that young man's video. "Videos from an ex-oil field worker" very good insights on how to get hired. it is a thread on here.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalsfinest View Post
If you have a CDL then your a shoe in. If you have at least a couple of years of oil work experience then it can take a couple of days. If you have no experience or very little then good luck to you. If you think it's easy like the TV was portraying it, your wrong! I knew coming up in can take me a couple of weeks or more. You can easily find a job doing something else but that don't pay what I'm looking for. I might just find a job to hold me over until then. Some of the people coming down to this job center I just don't understand. Some people walk in here expecting to be handed a job. They don't want to bother filling out applications or resumes. No wonder why some of these people haven't had a job in "ever"....years! Tomorrow, I will be going to individual companies, calling numbers I have applied to follow up and to going into other job services around town.
Watch the video "ex-oil field worker", a thread here. Good info, a few great web job leads, local job info. Also, get a trackphone, or some sort of phone. Get a local area code number. I do not think anyone will call ppl long distance for entry level jobs. Get out there, pound the pavement, be very mannerly, be very polite to anyone on a site or at a workplace office. They are not trying to do favors for anyone that stands and acts like the ppl you described. U will get a job....you have proven you are mannerly, Think creatively....You have managerial experience. Maybe you could be their next HR, their making 25. Sit down, write down all your skills, paint (ever paint a room) bookkeeping (balance your check book?) know somw spanish?? Get a card, write all these skills down....put all this on it, everything....attach to every resume. The gals in the office will think you are too nice, etc. Anything to get your foot in the door, give folks in charge a lil example of what you and the ppl you hang w/ would be like to have around everyday. By now if the ppl at job service are the norm, the oil field ppl are sick of this situation too. Just think, be the one the frontline ppl say....There was this really nice young man that was in today. But expound on your job skills, and don't just market your roughneck skills. You maybe could be a tool pusher, which is just a mgr. You could manage a man camp?? think big.....just stay warm.
PS....Be very cautious, there are some ppl who are up there to take advantage, even to the point of robbing ppl who are living outside, I have seen it "jokingly" referred to. But, you know what they say about jokes. When I find the posts I will re-post later. Stay out of bars, there are ppl getting assaulted just because.... think safety in numbers, but don't align w/ just anyone. Ppl on here that are there in Williston should meet for coffee, network.

Last edited by JanND; 11-18-2011 at 04:32 AM..

Old 11-18-2011, 04:59 AM

Golfer, you are right. That is how my ex-hubby taught me when he drug me up here in 80's boom. Don't forget, pump those breaks, touch, pump, gently. Do not slam breaks on.....sure way to go ditch sailing.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:39 AM

... and get a vehicle with a manual transmission... (Don't know how those people get around with an Automatic...) LOL

Old 11-20-2011, 09:35 AM

1 posts, read 2,638 times
Does anyone know how much people are making on leasing there mineral rights to the oil companys ? we have three townships and got a check for about 4500.00 just to lease. But now they are drilling and told us they should hit oil in the next three months... Just wondering what to expect.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:44 AM

connie morrill - Get a Lawyer...ASAP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-20-2011, 09:49 AM

581 posts, read 2,215,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by connie morrill View Post
Does anyone know how much people are making on leasing there mineral rights to the oil companys ? we have three townships and got a check for about 4500.00 just to lease. But now they are drilling and told us they should hit oil in the next three months... Just wondering what to expect.
Go to Bakken Shale and ask the same question. Bakken forum is on the right had side of the page. They have a mineral rights forum. You'll need to have your sect/township/range to get any specific answers. Also, who did the lease and who is the oil company that has the lease.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connie morrill View Post
You really need a N.D. lawyer, you may get shorted. I read of folks that are only getting 1200 mth, and their farm has been over run w/ trucks, landscape ruined, peace and quiet destroyed. That isn't enough money, given the values that are being publicized. There are companies cold calling folks, the research property, and random call. Please be smart, get the advise of local attorneys, often a consult is free. Protect your assets, no one in the oil industry will.
At that rate, $4500, you would make more renting your land out to workers, or housing providers. Get some legal advise fast
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston