Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 05:11 PM

2 posts, read 14,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by micheleen View Post
Is there a chance in heck that a 60 year old very physically fit woman can get on with a trucking company in the oilfields of ND. CDL with hazmat and tanker endorsements born and raised in ND so weather does not scare me.
Do you have your own equip.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 01:18 PM

2 posts, read 13,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
There is a company placing an ad in our rural,weekly ,central MN newspaper.

They are hiring diesel mechanics and truck drivers who have a CDL.

Willison Basin area.........stated they would provide a place to live for 6 months.

I didn't keep the paper, but it comes on Saturday so tomorrow I will get it again.

Will you get the details for us they were advertising a figure income for CDL Drivers

Old 08-24-2011, 01:39 PM

2 posts, read 13,298 times
Is it possible to get the name of some of the companies and where they are located at My husband has a CDL Lic. Clean record for 25+ years we owned several of our own companies and we live in Fl. he is looking for work and having a hard time there is so many weird jobs out there today he is careful and cautious.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:46 AM

1 posts, read 6,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by batgirl3569 View Post
Do you have your own equip.?
I have a 1996 FLD with 555,000 original miles on it. Cummins M11. It is specced for the road and good mileage. And a 53' van. Could that possibly get me a job? Older truck and not specced for oil fields, I know.

Thanks for any reply.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:16 AM

2 posts, read 7,896 times
Default Experienced Driver w/o Own Equipment

I have heard about the driving jobs in ND and the money that can be made. Are there jobs for experienced drivers who aren't O/O?

Old 09-03-2011, 08:58 PM

581 posts, read 2,215,280 times
Yes - The Shopper, Inc. - Williston, ND - Classifieds, Help Wanted, Real Estate and More! Looks towards the back for help wanted. Jobs everywhere. In my opinion I would never work for an owner op. Most trucking companies that own their work offer great benefits and pay. Stay away from owner ops. Most are fly by night and don't offer bennies or housing. Top pay but horrible otherwise.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:57 PM

1 posts, read 6,425 times
I've entered the trucking arena and have heard that the oil fields play plenty well above and beyond what a typical OTR driver will make. Like one of the post above mentions, leasing on as an owner operator has some additional revenue, not to be confused with pay...less your expenses. Another option, albeit with more risk (but more risk = more reward), is to create your own company, get your own contract, and go at it. If you can buy a truck, as any owner operator would have to do, then you can get a US DOT number and an MC number too, plus insurance and a few other forms, fililngs etc. Something to consider for those who have more business sense.

As for prejudice towards out of staters, I absolutely believe the story. I lived in Montana for six years and they hate out of staters. ND is a stones throw away and I would find it hard to believe that the natives are much different than their neighbours to the West. Fact is when you cut to the chase there are two fallacies in American culture, first is Western hospitality and the second is Southern hospitality. Both regions would just as well tell out of staters to go **** them selves. These are the facts, they can not be disputed.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:44 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,361,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA-Yankee View Post

As for prejudice towards out of staters, I absolutely believe the story. I lived in Montana for six years and they hate out of staters. ND is a stones throw away and I would find it hard to believe that the natives are much different than their neighbours to the West. Fact is when you cut to the chase there are two fallacies in American culture, first is Western hospitality and the second is Southern hospitality. Both regions would just as well tell out of staters to go **** them selves. These are the facts, they can not be disputed.
There are a handful that have a problem with oilfield workers, but the vast majority of locals work the same kind of jobs and I've become friends with quite a few of them.

Maybe it's the fact that before you even move to a new place you assume that the locals don't want you there, so you see what you expect to find.

And nothing you stated is fact, it's all your personal opinion.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:55 AM

581 posts, read 2,215,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA-Yankee View Post
I've entered the trucking arena and have heard that the oil fields play plenty well above and beyond what a typical OTR driver will make. Like one of the post above mentions, leasing on as an owner operator has some additional revenue, not to be confused with pay...less your expenses. Another option, albeit with more risk (but more risk = more reward), is to create your own company, get your own contract, and go at it. If you can buy a truck, as any owner operator would have to do, then you can get a US DOT number and an MC number too, plus insurance and a few other forms, fililngs etc. Something to consider for those who have more business sense.

As lisa said none of this is fact. Opinion only. I'm from Williston and welcome outsiders that are helping grow this oilpatch.

Business sense does not always equal reward in the oilpatch. Someone could start a trucking company and come looking for work BUT one thing is missing. The relationship with the oil companies. There is not another industry where who you know can make or break you. You made this sound way too easy to get work as a truck owner. It is not that easy....at all. I would not recommend forking up cash for equipment without any promise of work. That would not be good business sense.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:20 PM

4 posts, read 35,928 times
My fiance worked with a man who just purchased a truck/trailer and is going to Williston (or around there??) making over 130-ish dollars per hour, working 100 hours per week.

Of course this has intrigued my fiance to look into it and I've found housing to be minimal and expensive and had a hard time searching through the millions of websites finding the higher paying driving jobs for experienced drivers. They seem to be in the same range as his job now making 80k.

New challenges certainly seem interesting...central Illinois gets kind of redundant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston