Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2011, 10:33 AM

325 posts, read 863,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren456 View Post
But what I wonder is - why aren't they asking the companies advertising the jobs if THEY have housing lined up for their employees?
Many on this board are asking that question, and the answer seems to generally be they do have housing of some sort if they hire you.

Quote:
I just think that people can't be so niave as to imagine that the sudden news hype over jobs can't be attributed to the companies... and the desire to have hundreds, if not thousands, of people flocking to the area in order to create supply/demand issues and bring wages down.
That could be a possible scenario, but frankly I think the newsmedia just found a story that makes for good ratings. Other boom areas in the country are having the same supply problems but the wages aren't as high. And there doesn't seem to be an oversupply problem per se, just an out of whack ratio in terms of newbies vs. experience. If this is a genuine boom then that "problem" will correct itself.

IMO, ND wages are higher than other areas because of circumstances unique to North Dakota.

Quote:
There is no way you can convince me that if the companies really were concerned about housing, they'd fix it... and fast. But they don't care.
Of course they are concerned about housing. Without it they can't meet their workforce demands. There is no way they can be cavalier on this issue and continue to mine this boom for all its profits.

The problem is a political one as "fast" housing has been "temporarily" banned by many of the towns and conventional housing can't be built fast enough to meet the demand for a variety of reasons that have nothing to do with the oil companies and everything to do with politics and regulations.

Quote:
And I'm beyond caring. I'll take what I can get and then I'm out. But that doesn't mean I don't see what's happening.
But you do care...about getting out of it what you can. So do the oil companies which is why you will see more housing being created.

Quote:
As to the locals raising rents on the elderly... There's just no descriptor for that kind of suckage. And that's all on the local folks who are doing it.
Which is something that has been largely self-inflicted in the name of managing growth, keeping crime down, etc. Enough housing and prices will drop like a rocket. Artificially restrict supply and prices will skyrocket...for everyone. That is just reality.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:16 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsk/Deutsch/Polska View Post
Another tip about driving in conditions like 3-Oaks mentions: If you are driving and you cannot see beyond your nose on a highway, whatever you do, DON'T just STOP on the highway. Look for an approach or a side road that you can pull off on. If you stop on the highway, you will most likely be rear ended from another vehicle that didn't see you stopped.
Yet another tip....Do not trust gps devices. Try it before you trust it in dead of winter. WE had a couple get lost on east side of state, they were looking for a house for sale. The weather was ok, and suddenly a blizzard....Took hrs to find them, after they got stuck. They had trusted their phone gps. Always use caution.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:48 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,676,883 times
Yes that is info I forgot to add, often you will end up on a NON road...and there is noone to save you or pull you out!

Old 11-20-2011, 05:04 PM

98 posts, read 208,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Yet another tip....Do not trust gps devices. Try it before you trust it in dead of winter. WE had a couple get lost on east side of state, they were looking for a house for sale. The weather was ok, and suddenly a blizzard....Took hrs to find them, after they got stuck. They had trusted their phone gps. Always use caution.
I would submit that a GPS unit that is not part of a phone would likely be far more accurate than one that is. Either way, an M-A-P as a backup is always a necessity, regardless of what type of GPS device is used.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:06 PM

98 posts, read 208,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt-7 View Post
Yes that is info I forgot to add, often you will end up on a NON road...and there is noone to save you or pull you out!
Very true. There are many unimproved roads in North Dakota and turning off onto one of them without a 4x4 and extensive experience with driving in poor weather could be fatal.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:13 PM

Speaking from experience! And for some reason that darn cow just could not give me directions.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:15 PM

That is so funny, and so true. I was driving from Dickinson to Rapid City yrs ago, and it was very challenging....Bulls standing in the road, and I am in a lil honda accord. Pretty intimidating.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
The problem is there literally are no apts, or housing available. This is a town of like 12,000. W/ an influx of several thousand, and more coming daily. There are no places. The was a moratorium on building man camps imposed for 6mths recently. Small towns didn't want them. Williston has ppl gouging renters, and believe me, they are not going to let someone sublease...They will get their money. But, more houses are being built. I heard there were 1000 man camp rooms, in Williston to be ready soon, w/ 4000 in Minot soon. On this forum, or the herald. They have thrown old people out of their low income housing, raising the rent from 700 to 2000 mth, w/ 2000 deposit. There is a newspaper article Tues?? Anyway, there was a shortage before the National stories got out, now it is a nightmare. But, I agree, if there was housing, I would get into it. In fact that news story is titled 6 figure income, but homeless. it is on here somewhere, msnbc story, google it.
I have to offer a disclaimer here, I believe I may have mispoken on the numbers re; housing. I do not think there were any recent housing in Minot built, they had a flood last spring, so housing is proubibly very scarce. sorry about typo. Please check locally for housing options. I am certainly no housing expert.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:43 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times
Well...the good news is for those in Williston who are sleeping in less than ideal conditions is that this upcoming week will see well above average temperatures and no snow.

From NWS Bismarck for Williston....

7-Day Forecast for Latitude 48.23°N and Longitude 103.49°W

Monday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 28. South wind between 3 and 9 mph.

Monday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 16. South wind 8 to 10 mph becoming west.

Tuesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 36. Southwest wind between 10 and 13 mph.

Tuesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 25. Southwest wind around 11 mph.

Wednesday: Sunny, with a high near 43.

Wednesday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 26.

Thanksgiving Day: Mostly sunny, with a high near 43.

Thursday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 26.

Friday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 35.

Friday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 21.

Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 34.

Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 21.

Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 39.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:48 AM

good news!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston