Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 11:59 PM

941 posts, read 1,914,946 times

Advertisements

I have read here, and elsewhere, a lot of people advising against doing this. Yes, I understand. I am sure in different circumstances I would think anyone would be crazy to do this. But when I saw the amount of people in the Wal-Mart parking lot on the news, am wondering if it is gonna be like that in the coming months. And if anyone who has done it Nov/Dec/Jan in past can share thier story. With so many people going there and nowhere to stay it seems to me like it may be common whether it is a car, SUV, van, camper trailer or RV. I know some say"Well if it is a van or trailer" or "If it is a small car"

Again I know the consequences of this and if one is not prepared can have horrible consequences, but really does anyone know anyone in Williston who went to seek work and was sleeping in car freeze to death(respects to anyone in world who this has happened to) or get exposure? I mean it is not ideal, but just wondering if anyone has actually HAD to do it and thier experiences....thanks.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:37 AM

231 posts, read 873,113 times
Speaking of living in your car in a Walmart parking lot in Williston.

Seeking fortune in a Walmart parking lot - YouTube

Old 11-01-2011, 03:54 AM

454 posts, read 1,242,638 times
Its possible to do but you have to be very well prepared for it. You need clothing that is designed for artic type of weather, good insulation so you don't lose alot of your body heat.

I would also recommend purchasing some sort of battery powered heater. There are stand alone battery powered heaters. You can also buy a battery powered electric blanket or battery electric vest, such as this one. They are kind of expensive but if you are going to sleep long-term in your car, its a must.

Also don't plan on idling your car, too much of a give away. However, you might be able to do it if you have a prius, as the engine will turn off and on as the heater is running.

Basically, the bottom line, is that its possible to do if you are prepared for it. Just searching camping supply websites for camping gear. They have all sorts of stuff that will help keep you warm.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:05 PM

Thanks tundra that is a sight to see......

A34dadsf, thanks for tips I am going to look into the battery heater. I saw a power adapter at Wal-Mart I thought it would be battery power but it had a car lighter adapter, does that drain the battery a lot when not running? Our car is a mid size SUV.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:14 PM

265 posts, read 686,822 times
I have seen a news segment about people getting kicked out of the Walmart Parking lot by the Po lice any truth to that?

Old 11-01-2011, 05:56 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,166,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatehumidity View Post
I have seen a news segment about people getting kicked out of the Walmart Parking lot by the Po lice any truth to that?
I know several months ago they put up barriers so that tall trucks (semis) couldn't get into the lot and stay overnight. There are usually a lot of RVs there during the day, but I haven't visited the Walmart lot after midnight recently.

I was wondering this myself if someone was sleeping in a car or the bed of a pickup if they would get hassled. Where does someone go if you get kicked out of Walmart in the middle of the night. The truck stops are all full up.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:42 PM

454 posts, read 1,242,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laina1980 View Post
Thanks tundra that is a sight to see......

A34dadsf, thanks for tips I am going to look into the battery heater. I saw a power adapter at Wal-Mart I thought it would be battery power but it had a car lighter adapter, does that drain the battery a lot when not running? Our car is a mid size SUV.
DON'T USE THE CAR BATTERY!!!!! It'll drain your battery and then you'll need to get your car jumped. Major hassle. That's why I suggest buying the stand alone battery heaters. If it has a car adapter then only charge it when the car is running.

Quote:
Yea its true. Most wal-marts have no overnight parking or truck parking. Basically they don't want to be liable for any issues being cause by people sleeping in their car. Not sure how often the police patrol the parking lot or how often the management enforces the no overnight parking rule.

Quote:
I was wondering this myself if someone was sleeping in a car or the bed of a pickup if they would get hassled. Where does someone go if you get kicked out of Walmart in the middle of the night. The truck stops are all full up.
My guess is you would go to another area to sleep. Not sure if the police actually write tickets for trespass or whatever. I'm sure they go easy on people seeing as how its a boom town and all. As long as the property managers don't complain then the police don't care.

Last edited by a34dadsf; 11-02-2011 at 03:55 PM..

Old 11-02-2011, 06:26 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
I would only do a minivan or better yet, full size van, never a car, but I'd never work 100 hours a week either. You'll know if you're too cold the first night.. you won't die in your sleep, you'll be forced to turn the car on or get more blankets. At least in a full size van, they cannot see you sleeping and you still only take up one parking spot. Going this route, you could park in any public parking spot that doesn't have restrictions on hours along the side of a street or whatever. What people don't know won't hurt them. Just park in the back with the employees.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I would only do a minivan or better yet, full size van, never a car, but I'd never work 100 hours a week either. You'll know if you're too cold the first night.. you won't die in your sleep, you'll be forced to turn the car on or get more blankets. At least in a full size van, they cannot see you sleeping and you still only take up one parking spot. Going this route, you could park in any public parking spot that doesn't have restrictions on hours along the side of a street or whatever. What people don't know won't hurt them. Just park in the back with the employees.
That is a good idea to park where there is a lot of employee that park somewhere. We have a mid size SUV that the back folds down pretty flat I told my husband not to put too much stuff as that is def a dead giveaway, lol....We also have the back sides and rear windows tinted if you want to see inside you would have to press your face to look in.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:34 PM

581 posts, read 2,215,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laina1980 View Post
That is a good idea to park where there is a lot of employee that park somewhere. We have a mid size SUV that the back folds down pretty flat I told my husband not to put too much stuff as that is def a dead giveaway, lol....We also have the back sides and rear windows tinted if you want to see inside you would have to press your face to look in.

The police are ticketing truckers that are parking on city streets or in city parking lots. It's just a matter of time before they go after people sleeping in their cars. Walmart does not allow over night parking but people have been getting away with it.....for now. Everything seems to have an expiration date around here lately. Mancamp - done (for now), trucks in the city limits (done). Staying in your car is very unlikely to work. I'm not trying to deter you but the town is still small enough that if you are caught sleeping in a city lot the police will find the next place you are parking as well. We had a guy parking/napping in the parking lot where I work and he was asked to leave when one of our maintenance people found him. He was plugged into our electricity charging his cell and watching dvds. Most of the locals will not allow people to park in their lots because it starts a bad pattern. One tent started our "tent city" and suddenly we have 50+ people (including a family with a 3 year old) sleeping in Davidson Park. The park district now banned "camping" in city parks. Like I said. Everything has an expiration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston