Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 08:35 PM

581 posts, read 2,215,280 times

Advertisements

And there isn't a company in town that won't notice people sleeping in their parking lot.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:36 PM

88 posts, read 220,178 times
Soooo, are you suggesting that I would be kindly asked to leave after I crank up my generator? My generator is what will run my little electric heater! It sure is going to be hard to get back to sleep if I have move my bed around to get the generator back into the back of the truck! How am I supposed to work in a safe manner if I'm constantly being awakened by "The Man" to "move along"! I'm just sayin...

Old 11-02-2011, 09:11 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
have to keep the visible parts of the interior clean looking, not packed with items. You could get some advice from this old site which doesn't even format right with firefox anymore You cover up the back windows with drapes and make some sort of barrier between the front seats and the small living area in the back, so nobody can see inside, and keep the front part clean, so nobody suspects anyone is even inside. What they don't know, won't hurt them. Of course once an officer gets to searching your vehicle even once and gets your plates, it's over, so you have to be careful. I doubt wal-mart checks employee vehicles... just park in the back, or park anywhere where there's a business with employees. It's harder staying on one town with this method then if you're driving around the country, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

How To Convert A Van

Stealth:
For me stealth means being able to camp almost
anywhere, in urban environments or a campground..
In either situation it just looks like a van parked
there. In a camp ground it may be odd there is no
tent, but many people camp in their vans. In the
urban environment, stealth just makes sense. You
can go anywhere and fit right in with a standard van
converted in a stealthy manner. And thats my goal, I
want to be able to go anywhere and just be seen as a
standard van parked there, wherever it may be. I
want to limit my run-ins with others that don't
understand what VanDwelling is about. It makes my
life better, their lives better, its a win-win! My
reason for stealth isn't because of shame, it is to
hide the fact I'm in there, to avoid being bothered
by cops or others that feel that VanDwelling is not
right. If they don't know, it won't matter. .

Old 11-02-2011, 09:25 PM

941 posts, read 1,915,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kychlo View Post
The police are ticketing truckers that are parking on city streets or in city parking lots. It's just a matter of time before they go after people sleeping in their cars. Walmart does not allow over night parking but people have been getting away with it.....for now. Everything seems to have an expiration date around here lately. Mancamp - done (for now), trucks in the city limits (done). Staying in your car is very unlikely to work. I'm not trying to deter you but the town is still small enough that if you are caught sleeping in a city lot the police will find the next place you are parking as well. We had a guy parking/napping in the parking lot where I work and he was asked to leave when one of our maintenance people found him. He was plugged into our electricity charging his cell and watching dvds. Most of the locals will not allow people to park in their lots because it starts a bad pattern. One tent started our "tent city" and suddenly we have 50+ people (including a family with a 3 year old) sleeping in Davidson Park. The park district now banned "camping" in city parks. Like I said. Everything has an expiration.
I can def see that when I first heard people were doing this there I was envisioning like a few cars or campers with people sleeping in them, lol.....But when I saw the Walmart video thing I was in shock at how many cars and campers were there and thought it was just normal since it was obvious and people were not being turned away.

Now I probably misinterpreted what I said(won't be the 1st) and meant when parking where employees park in like public places like stores and more of a flow of people, not isolated work areas like business centers or a single employer parking lot. That is def not right and that is crazy that guy using your works power. If I ever felt was being noticed I would leave, I am pretty private and will go to an extent to make myself not noticed. We'll see I will let you know,lol......

Old 11-02-2011, 09:39 PM

I also forgot to mention if I do this and it works, I will only do it if I get a graveyard job is what I prefer anyways, and also get a 2nd job so my sleeping would be limited and done during day or afternoon. I will bet you Kychlo I don't get caught,lol, how much? J/K......

Well then again let's see if I can last a week. As for my hubby who is the main one I don't know. He has been in these situations I am just hoping he can get some kind of housing, and I mean mancamp or whatever. He will not pay any large amount there as he has done this for a long time in Alaska and always had free housing.

Bottom line, until either the media dies out or noone goes there looking for work, which in turn would defeat the whole purpose of doing oil, or solve housing problem which like everyone says is unlikely, people are gonna do what they have to. This is an example of double edge sword times 100.....

Old 11-02-2011, 10:34 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,167,229 times
I would think cops would be looking for any van, small truck or car with out-of-state plates parked overnight somewhere. It's would be tough to conceal that.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:15 AM

88 posts, read 220,178 times
Out of state plates.... And maybe a generator running all night! Hee-hee!

Old 11-03-2011, 06:15 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
I suppose you do need ND plates.. you have to have a home address to get plates? Honestly I don't see what the big deal is with cops and people in vehicles if they go out of the way to be courteous and make themselves look anonymous.

What are people supposed to do in Williston, ND.. leave?

Old 11-03-2011, 08:53 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I suppose you do need ND plates.. you have to have a home address to get plates? Honestly I don't see what the big deal is with cops and people in vehicles if they go out of the way to be courteous and make themselves look anonymous.

What are people supposed to do in Williston, ND.. leave?
It becomes a liability issue when people freeze to death on your property and you didn't do anything to stop it.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
I would think cops would be looking for any van, small truck or car with out-of-state plates parked overnight somewhere. It's would be tough to conceal that.
I can understand isolted incidents or if someone is parking in someone's property consistently. But due to the flow of traffic and the numerous already there doing it, someone said there are only 6 cops is that right?

This is funny cuz the town I lived in Alaska had like a lot of police and they were so cool for these situations. When they'd catch someone sleeping in car or sleeping in bars or wherever, they'd direct them to places to sleep where they could get away with it. As this place also had shortage of accomodations. Also this is funny cuz it is not like anyone means to be a nuisnace and sleep in cars, is just niot much choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston