Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 05:50 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,629,182 times

Advertisements

WILLISTON, N.D. — After living all of her 82 years in the same community, Lois Sinness left her hometown this month, crying and towing a U-Haul packed with her every possession.
She didn't want to go, but the rent on her $700-a-month apartment was going up almost threefold because of heightened demand for housing generated by North Dakota's oil bonanza. Other seniors in her complex and across the western part of the state are in the same predicament.

Oil boom raises rents in ND, pushes seniors out - US news - Life - msnbc.com

Kick Grandma & Grandpa out into the street all in the name of GREED!

Nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 08:14 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,001,275 times
I saw an ad on craiglist tonight (North Dakota) 5000/mo for a 4BR/2BAduplex in Williston 1620 sq ft. Geez.... my entire house payment for a less than 10 yr old house with 5 BR/3BA is 1400/mo (incl tax/specials/insurance). Wow....so unfortunate that those who are not making the money are having to suffer.

Dan

Old 11-14-2011, 09:03 PM

941 posts, read 1,914,619 times
How sad....Doesn't Williston have a senior center or senior apartments?

Is really sad that they can do this, it may be getting a little out of hand there. Some people need some extra protection(seniors, disabled, etc.)

Old 11-15-2011, 04:54 AM

454 posts, read 1,242,490 times
They should just move to florida or something.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:17 AM

958 posts, read 2,621,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a34dadsf View Post
They should just move to florida or something.
Yeah that's real easy for a senior on a fixed income.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:34 PM

4 posts, read 7,617 times
Four guys can live comfortably in a 4 bedroom. $1,250/man if you're each making $60,000+ is a lot better than being unemployed in a cheap apartment.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:29 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,781,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Kick Grandma & Grandpa out into the street all in the name of GREED!
This is one of the hazards of not being a home owner. Grandma and Grandpa should have there own home at this point in there lives. It's there own fault they never wanted to be bothered to own there own place. I don't fault landlords for trying to get the best return on there investment. The landlord isn't running a frigging charity here.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:46 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
This is one of the hazards of not being a home owner. Grandma and Grandpa should have there own home at this point in there lives. It's there own fault they never wanted to be bothered to own there own place. I don't fault landlords for trying to get the best return on there investment. The landlord isn't running a frigging charity here.
Hey, let us know when you are 82, and on a fixed income (if S.S. is even still around), what your housing situation is. Just saying....

Old 11-22-2011, 09:35 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
I pay $515 per month all utilities paid for my apartment which houses mostly students and I hardly hear any noise around the clock which is why I remain here. That's about 25% of my take home pay per month. I'm the type where I can't have roommates. They would drive me insane. It's either rent solo, or buy, and home ownership is a big money pit that is not needed unless one has a family.

At $2000 per month I'd have to work an entire 2.5 extra weeks per month, or 100 hours or so, just to pay for the extra rent cost in take home pay, maybe more. No thanks. Then again if I was willing to accept roommates I could probably cut my living cost to $300 per month. Not worth it.

Too bad for all the seniors living there that need to leave. That's life though, supply and demand. At 82 they've been collecting social security a long time though and lived during a time when the rate they had to pay was much lower, and housing prices were not through the roof. They should have owned a house by that age. If they had no savings and were living entirely off of social security, well that's their problem. If I was their kids or grandkids I'm sure I could relocate them to a cheaper, warmer part of the country for them to live out their remaining years. Assuming I could get the time off to do so.

Last edited by sholomar; 11-22-2011 at 09:46 AM..

Old 11-22-2011, 09:45 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,165,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Hey, let us know when you are 82, and on a fixed income (if S.S. is even still around), what your housing situation is. Just saying....
My dad used to always tell me that you never know what the future will bring. The thought of living to an advanced age and not being able to afford a roof over your head is pretty scary, especially on a fixed income.

I used to have a substantial mortgage and taxes on a big house back in the Chicago suburbs. I was making really good money so I was able to swing the financial obligation. After the meltdown in 2008, this really opened my eyes. I decided to 'adjust' my life so that before retirement I would have a home payed off. My mobile home isn't anything close to the McMansion I used to have, but I don't have to worry about meeting a very serious 4 figure monthly mortgage and paying property taxes approaching 5 figures annually.

It's a problem when you rent because you are too dependent on the whims of others who can effect your life negatively. But, no one probably thought about this boom effecting them - no one saw it coming. Cheap and affordable rent used to be the rule in North Dakota.

I feel for these people especially at old age like that. Their options may be very limited. And to be forced out of the town you wish to live the rest of your days in is heart wrenching to say the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston