Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 11:28 PM

6 posts, read 14,368 times

Advertisements

Greetings folks!
Just heard of the Williston boomtown, and am in the middle of researching. I have a few partners aiming at starting some businesses. Any feedback are welcome and appreciated. In general, I have heard of long line at fast food restaurants, short staff at fast food places and Walmart, folks who lives in cars have to bath at community centers, not to mention having to hunt for a space to park and sleep nightly. Any ways to relieve you guys of those discomforts?
Where are the man camps? Along route 2 of either side of Williston?
What kind of mobile vendors do you guys need? Food trucks? Work cloths?
Is there enough laundry washing facilities for the workers?
If I am to open a business, should I locate my business in downtown? Along route 2, or between Williston and Minot?
Please by all means, let me know how I can help by providing what services. Lets make it a win-win situation.
Stay well, and prosper!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 11:45 PM

159 posts, read 350,952 times
I sure have tossed that Food Truck idea around in my head a few times

Old 07-01-2012, 12:02 AM

477 posts, read 1,506,707 times
Maybe you should make a trip up to "Boom Town" and check out the situation, see it for yourself.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:06 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Not trying to discourage you, but this boom has been happening for a number of years....Lots of businesses already here. Lots of businesses can't keep employees because they can't afford to pay the oil filed wages, and employees can't make enough for the high rents. It is a catch 22 in alot of ways. Folks have money to spend, and few places to spend it there.
Do the research...several threads on here about starting businesses. Check w/ Williston Chamber of Commerce....There are several things to consider. I also remember seeing that vendor trucks were not being allowed, maybe someone can chime in here. Lots of folks that have opened and tried to open businesses. The same constraints apply as looking for job/housing. Costs of land, availability of and cost of rent/lease, State & local business license application process. Most critical need is reasonable rentals and housing. If you could swing that you would be in business. Good luck Guys

Old 07-01-2012, 01:15 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Not trying to discourage you, but this boom has been happening for a number of years....Lots of businesses already here. Lots of businesses can't keep employees because they can't afford to pay the oil filed wages, and employees can't make enough for the high rents. It is a catch 22 in alot of ways. Folks have money to spend, and few places to spend it there.
Do the research...several threads on here about starting businesses. Check w/ Williston Chamber of Commerce....There are several things to consider. I also remember seeing that vendor trucks were not being allowed, maybe someone can chime in here. Lots of folks that have opened and tried to open businesses. The same constraints apply as looking for job/housing. Costs of land, availability of and cost of rent/lease, State & local business license application process. Most critical need is reasonable rentals and housing. If you could swing that you would be in business. Good luck Guys
You are correct Jan, there was a thread on here and a news article where food vendors had to pay a fee to be able to operate and some were not paying it so they forced them all to the fair grounds and charge them to set up there. It made the fair grounds sound like a food court at the mall. If I remember correctly. I just did a cursory look and didn't see where that was discussed.

But Jan is correct in that the oil boom has been going on for a few years now, even if what you are learning seems new. Man Camps are set up and house approximately 7,000 workers. They have a kitchen and food staff on there to furnish meals to the oil workers. So that is a no go. The people are wll fed. The man camps have laundry facilities as part of the camp, however, the workers are putting in some major hours and one of the things that is a premium is "Time Off" so that they can do things like, their laundry.

As far as work clothes, the neighbors I have that are working up there told me how their companies set it up. Work boots were brought out by a vendor in a truck. Fire Retardant cover alls were held in storage at the company they worked for and they simply went in and told them what size they needed and they signed for the clothes. The Winter gear was different in that they were told what store to go to and pick up what they needed and and keep the receipt because they company would reimburse them for winter clothes.

Not sure what is really needed other than Housing for Families. So many oil field workers are there and their wives and children are back home because there simply is no housing available. Investers and companies are building just as fast as they can to relive the burdon of housing.

One of the big problems they have is wages. The oil field pays top dollar, but a manufacturer/vendor cannot afford those wages. So what happens is you take a crew in to build a new Fudruckers restaurant. In the first 30 days all of your workers quit you and go to work for the oil companies. Now, it would be a different story if you can pay $20+ an hour for your people. Give your people $20+ an hour and now you are going to price yourself right out of existance. It's a vicious cycle.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:17 AM

Thanks for the feedback folks! So I gathered that the big oil companies using man camp to take care of themselves. Unfortunately not enough of them out there or you won't have people living in their cars. I read the latest ruling is folks with RV have to vacate by 9/1, but that does not affect those who still live in their cars. So as long as the oil companies continue to add more rigs, and setting up man camp always lags behind to a degree, obviously building regular housing is too little and too slow, not to mention real estate prices is rising thanks to the boom, there will always be people living in their vehicles all around town. May be these are the folks my business will be targeting.
Yes, my team will be coming up and take a look see for ourselves by late October. Plan is to launch our business by next spring. By then I am sure there will be changes that may effect those who live in their cars.
One thing for sure, our business won't be needing workers. My team will be the workers , and if we rent a retail or commercial space, we will make some space in the back and that will be our sleeping quarter, so at least we don't need to look for housing or labor help.
The media been centering on Williston, but I think business opportunity exist in the entire bakken region. If competition is too keen in Williston, or if they already have what I have to offer there I don't mind looking to Minot, or Dickson.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:28 AM

I don't get it, Elkhunter. You mentioned that oil companies pay top dollars, but vendors doesn't. Bring a crew in to build something and they might desert your job and run over to the oil companies. But yet I read on some posts that oil job is not for everyone. Is more or less semi-skilled or experience necessary. Yea, I understand everyone wants a $70,000+ a year job, but I think at least 50% of those who applies may not get it and have to do something else instead. Besides, working 80 + hours continuosely is not for many, those who are not made to work like that should pick up lesser pay jobs in town.

With so many cars coming into Williston, I can envision even more auto mechanics will be needed, or barbers, or go go dancers. Don't need to be working in oil to strike it rich!

Old 07-01-2012, 07:33 AM

Well, you almost have a handle on it. It's not the Big Oil that has a problem. It's the 3rd party vendors. Big Oil bought up the motels in town, bought available housing or leased it long term and pretty much, they have housing for their people. It's the sub contractors, the little guy, the employer's with 20 employee's that does not offer housing.

A year ago, there was a major problem with people living in cars. Today, I believe there are very few. Sure, there are some, but not what there was a year ago. Housing is being built. Motels for long range rentals are going in and will be completed this summer. Large apartment complex's are being built. By the end of this summer, there will be no need for people living in their cars.

Also, I think that the RV ban is also going to not be a problem much longer. The City and County are both building RV parks. The City and County are going to rob the people and charge $700 a month, but at least it will be a place to park the rv, hook up to water, sewer, electric, tv, phone, etc.... Better RV lots with trees for shade, swimming pools, fishing, and a bunch of other ammenities can be found anywhere in the country for $250-$300 a month. But, after all, it is the oil patch so the City and County just as well get in on gouging people.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:47 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
WEll, call it gouging if you will. But giving up valuable real estate to dedicate it to help folks living here on a transient basis is typical N.D. looking out for others. I'm sure the same land, if drilled or real housing, or businesses were being built it would cost a fortune. RE annexing to accommodate and build has been going on for a few years. Investors want to come make big money, and keep their bottom line down just like this poster. It is the way of the world. IMO the only folks getting hurt are the locals still making 40,000 year, paying more taxes, high cost of goods, services and having to deal w/ all the secondary issues involved in a boom town. But, Elk is right...Housing is the big deal....and even though You are a day late and a dollar short...housing will still be a big deal for next few years, unless it busts. Do your research first....

Old 07-01-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
WEll, call it gouging if you will. But giving up valuable real estate to dedicate it to help folks living here on a transient basis is typical N.D. looking out for others. I'm sure the same land, if drilled or real housing, or businesses were being built it would cost a fortune. RE annexing to accommodate and build has been going on for a few years. Investors want to come make big money, and keep their bottom line down just like this poster. It is the way of the world. IMO the only folks getting hurt are the locals still making 40,000 year, paying more taxes, high cost of goods, services and having to deal w/ all the secondary issues involved in a boom town. But, Elk is right...Housing is the big deal....and even though You are a day late and a dollar short...housing will still be a big deal for next few years, unless it busts. Do your research first....
Just the city's rv park potentially will bring in $560,000. a month. That's a half million a month, or 6 million dollars a year. Just how valuable is that land? hahahahahaha Now I'm curious what the city is going to do with the money? Will roads improve? Schools add on extra space?

If they were smart and I'm sure it has been discussed, but truck route's around main business districts would be a real bonus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston