Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2013, 11:34 AM

12 posts, read 32,569 times

Advertisements

I am physically debilitated due to rheumatoid arthritis and jobless. My job prospects here are hopeless. If I come to Williaton, will I be able to find some kind of entry job that's physically light, like something clerical? I can't get an oilfield job obviously, but is there anything I can do there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 12:39 PM

36 posts, read 98,809 times
Yes you can, there are lots of clerical jobs available in Williston for the Oil companies. Housing is always the big issue and the clerical jobs dont ussually pay as well. What kind of experience do you have?

Old 03-28-2013, 12:56 PM

I don't have any significant work experience. The disability + the economy have been a death sentence for me and basically cut me off from the workforce. I do have an associate's degree, some college, good computer skills and other qualities that would lend themselves well to clerical work. How does one find the clerical jobs for the oil companies? Are they difficult to get?

Old 03-29-2013, 03:18 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
I personally think there are jobs that you could apply for with the proper training or experience, but lacking office experience in such a competitive market as Williston would hamper your ability to find office employment imo.

Add to that your needs related to accessible housing, the current environment of extremely limited available housing, as well as the over-stressed local medical facilities in the area would make dealing w/ medical needs a huge problem in the area.

Not to discourage you, but just to make you aware...what I would suggest for a multitude of reasons, stay there and visit your local Vocational Rehabilitation office and start with them.

The focus of Voc Rehab is increasing the employ ability of individuals who have disabilities. There would be many advantages to you imo. It has been awhile since I was involved with them, but as I understand it, it is also a federal program, meaning that you can transfer your case if you move to another location/state.

You would increase your chances of success in any job market with additional training.
See if you qualify and they can help retrain you so that you will have the job skills that you need to do the work that you are seeking. That would assist you in seeking your new career no matter where you may decide to live.

Here is an example page. Check locally to your state/county Rehabilitation Division Bureau of Vocational Rehabilitation
And, if you are a VET...The VA Vocational Rehab page:Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Service Home Page

Also, I'll send you a link to a list of companies in our area....Some may offer housing along with job openings. Check additional forum threads related to the job market in Williston, many have listings of company names and advice for relocation job seekers. I wish you success. Don't forget to include the Eastern N.D. job market in your search.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:00 AM

114 posts, read 355,571 times
Jan, You have covered everything I thought of and more when I read this person's post, RA is a devastating disease and painful, I admire someone trying to get out there and step out of the box of such a disability.

Good Luck ieff - re-read Jan's post and start your planning and go visit that local voc rehab to get started - I know you can do it - it is going to take planning - but it does for everyone planning to move to Williston - it is not somewhere you can just knee-jerk one day and decide to re-locate to, there is no housing and what does come up is very expensive - so please, re-read Jan's advise and start your plan. You will enjoy the energy, or vibe, of ND as I call it, a person can feel the difference once you cross the borders after coming from a economically depressed area - it will take some time but you can do it!

Old 03-29-2013, 04:42 PM

Not going near a voc rehab dept. Too devastating. Thanks, though. Maybe Bismarck?

Old 03-29-2013, 04:56 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,218,221 times
Bismarck's available office space is very tight right now but will open up in a few years. The city can't have buildings taller than the Capitol so it is moderatly limited. Fortunately, for fighting sprawl, the Capitol is 18 stories tall so most mid-rise buildings will be fine. I think the issue you will have is that they need office workers there but don't have a place to put them. My company is looking for just a small office and the employee there can't find anything that is decent but not overpriced or crap that is moderately reasonable if it were decent. There are some new projects in the works but it will take another couple of years for the buildouts to be completed.

Bismarck is also the financial capital of the state as well so office jobs here should be better to come by. I don't know if this will change to Williston or Watford City (Watford City's bank is very powerful in McKenzie County) in the future but for now, it is still Bismarck. Bismarck has slightly more affordible housing than Western North Dakota but I was told it is tough to find decent homes under 175k.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:34 AM

OP...Let me preface what I am going to post. I am answering your questions regarding jobs...but I also am aware that there are likely many other folks that will read the responses here. So, while none of what I say may apply to you, it will likely apply to someone else.

Because of that I am answering in a generic way. I don't personally know anything about your life experiences or your ability to successfully move without a job.

But, I don't like seeing people move to N.D. who have no support system, no job, no housing and then because they've spent their last money to get here...No way home.

Sorry to hear your opinion of Voc Rehab.....I did my placement there many years ago and it offers so much assistance for folks w/ a variety of disabilities towards reaching their employment goals.

And, I did send you a link to a thread that has lots of company names etc. Hopefully you've researched that list and have applied at the man camps, or any other job that fits your quals or interests. Bismarck would be among the cities/towns I would suggest. Jamestown, Valley City, Fargo, Grand Forks. Look at the various job search engines and just start shooting off your resume. Sometimes we base where we live on our job alone.

If a job is your primary goal, and housing would be your next goal start w/ the tons of job search engines....and also use the City Data home page to search out likely areas for you to relocate. Great stats and almost anything you'd ask is already answered on that homepage if you type in your desired city/town. That should help you decide if/when you start receiving job offers. Like they say "Location, location, location".

Some great information has been offered in many threads in this forum also by geographic location....Join the conversations anywhere. I hope you find your "fit" Good luck.

Question...Have you searched office jobs in your area? Perhaps locally you can get some experience. Then you could apply to those on the list I messaged you.

Typically unless it is a Mom & Pop type agency, businesses want experienced office workers, especially in the Bakken. I would think at those supposedly higher wage jobs, and with people having to pay huge amounts for rent, errors in bookkeeping at payday time would not be tolerated by the agency nor the masses.

Personally I don't encourage anyone in thinking they can come to N.D. without a job, or resources to pay for your housing and food before you find one and have an easy time. Streets of N.D. are not hospitable during most of the year.

Rents are high on the East side of the State of N.D. and housing is becoming more limited also.

Last edited by JanND; 03-31-2013 at 05:48 AM.. Reason: edit text

Old 03-31-2013, 10:11 AM

Thanks very much, Jan

Old 03-31-2013, 10:35 AM

IEffedUp.....You are sure welcome. I hope that you find some areas of interest and a great job. Just ask if there is anything I can help you research. Jan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston