Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 03:17 PM

168 posts, read 370,164 times

Advertisements

My husband is looking at jobs in ND. We currently live in PA. He has had his CDL for 9+ years and currently drives water trucks to and from the frac sites here in PA. He was also a truck push doing scheduling and dispatching. He would prefer getting out of the gas industry, but is even more interested in getting out of PA. :-)

What kind of work/pay would he be looking at in ND? We would plan to move there with our three children, and because we have animals (2 dogs, 3 cats plus caged critters), we would be looking to buy a home and make it our permanent residence. As cold as PA gets in the winter, I know ND gets even colder. It's a big move and my entire family is here, so we (I) just really want to weigh our options before he even takes a job out there.

I need info to either talk myself into it or him out of it. :-) Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 06:14 AM

142 posts, read 417,463 times
With a CDL and experience, he should have NO problem finding work. Power Fuels in Watford City is looking to hire 300 drivers and they do have housing, however, there may be a waiting list.
He should be able to make around $100,00 a year hauling water. The better trucking companies offer outstanding benefits and usually a bonus.
There are houses for sale in the area, especially in the new developments. Buffalo Hills, just a mile from Power Fuels, has about 60 homes up with about another 30 to go. Three bedroom, two bath without a garage is listed at $199,000.
We moved from NW Wisconsin and had been there for 31 years. I love North Dakota and have never regretted our move.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:24 AM

168 posts, read 370,164 times
Do you know of any companies that would pay for him to travel back and forth AND have free housing? If we did move out there permanently, it wouldn't be right away, and the cost of him to fly back and forth every few weeks would barely make it worth the while, in my opinion.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:21 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,234,238 times
I wouldn't count on traveling expenses, but housing is often available via company "dorm rooms" or just in the truck sleeper like OTR drivers...
he's just going to have to start calling around.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:03 PM

405 posts, read 1,279,549 times
I would suggest he try it for a season first before you all pull up stakes and move.
Most of the CDL drivers do NOT hang around for the winter there.
They pack up and leave after Thanksgiving and head home for warmer climes as
the winters are especially brutal. Then they come back in droves around Easter.
Companies are scrambling to fill empty trucks this time o year.
If yer hubby can stand the weather then now might be a good time to get his foot in the door.
Temps there recently hit -45 to -65 below for several weeks in that polar vortex thing.
That's life threatening cold.
And the scenery isn't much better.

If he doesn't like the gas industry in PA how will ND be any different for him??
They all basically operate the same way re: scheduling etc. (tho the pay is more in ND).
There they run their drivers in 12 hour shifts for several weeks straight...then a week off.
It's a grueling schedule and I could never do it myself being in my early 50's.
If you look at these YouTube videos of the man camps up there you see most of
the guys are in their 20's and 30's. Some are in their 40's and not to many past 50.
There are many support services outside the oil companies that use CDL drivers on
a much more friendly schedule at much the same pay.

Another thing you need to watch out for are these smaller outfits paying their help
with IOU's instead of a paycheck.
This is becoming more & more common with small companies, father & son outfits, etc.
He needs to do his homework on any perspective employer there.
Check with the ND labor office to see if there have been any "late pay" or "short pay" complaints against the company he is thinking about working for.
And avoid 1099 arrangements like the plague (independent contractor).
The labor office can't help you in such an agreement if you get stiffed on yer pay.
Nobody goes to Williston for the weather or the scenery.
And the last thing anyone wants is to get stiffed.
All the best.

Last edited by GM1258; 01-19-2014 at 06:43 PM..

Old 01-19-2014, 08:15 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM1258 View Post
- snip -

Temps there recently hit -45 to -65 below for several weeks in that polar vortex thing.
That's life threatening cold.
And the scenery isn't much better.

- snip -
Wind chill hit that cold, but real temperature didn't even come close to -65.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:17 PM

405 posts, read 1,279,549 times
I hope to go back up in spring.
I have a friend who runs a support service to the oil comps
without working directly for them.
He needs CDL drivers for same.
He runs a 5 day on/2 day off schedule that I can handle.
And it starts warming up by then.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:12 AM

4 posts, read 6,799 times
Default career change

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM1258 View Post
I hope to go back up in spring.
I have a friend who runs a support service to the oil comps
without working directly for them.
He needs CDL drivers for same.
He runs a 5 day on/2 day off schedule that I can handle.
And it starts warming up by then.
Hey GM...I've been self employed for over 20yrs and I have finally come to the point in my career where it has become nigh impossible to support my family doing what I do (wear and tear on the body). I live on the east side of the state and will have my CDL by this May. You cant stay in business for long without being motivated and good at what you do. I, like most people, want to apply with a reputable company as I have few resources and little time to waste, however, I know that there are more 'hits and misses" than 'dead ringers'.
My family is pretty well entrenched here (Grand Forks) so moving to the west side is out of the question. I have been offered an RV to live in but don't know if that would be a deal breaker for most companies. Question: would my physical address do or do I need a PO box from there or would that even be acceptable? After four months of school, I will have the necessary endorsements for most of the jobs in the field (tanker, hazmat, etc..), I just wont have a lot of time behind the wheel yet.
At this point in time, in the Bakken, is there still a chance for a case like mine of getting picked up with the company you were talking about?
If you are willing, I could sure use some guidance. Thanks

Old 03-16-2014, 08:47 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,234,238 times
My husband has been working in ND for over 2 years. He's never had anything but his address here in Kansas, and a PO box in Minot.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:25 PM

4 posts, read 6,799 times
Default PO box

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
My husband has been working in ND for over 2 years. He's never had anything but his address here in Kansas, and a PO box in Minot.
Thank you ma'am for your input its very encouraging. who are a few of the good companies to work for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston