Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 11:00 PM

265 posts, read 686,536 times

Advertisements

Good for you buddy. Please update us on your ventures. We all love updates on successful people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 06:22 PM

3 posts, read 7,702 times
Hey, thanks for all the positive feedback to my post. Big special thanks to Jan for staying in touch.

New update:

Winter is brutal in Williston. Nothing in California or even prison prepares you for this kind of weather. Nothing.

I quit the oil job I spoke of a few weeks ago. Not over the work but over the culture of the company. I can only take being treated like trash for so long. Anyhow, I found a new job pretty quickly despite the low oil prices. Unfortunately the new job is starting off very very slowly. The new job must have spent $3000.00 or more to give me PEC certification, loader and manlift certification, HESS and STAT OIL certification. So, I'm concerned and somewhat baffled by the lack of work.

To answer a question someone posted: I went to prison for a shooting and then I went back again for selling drugs. I was a very very troubled and misguided young person. Now I'm in my 40's and I'm seriously questioning my current sanity...especially when it gets to -40 or so with the windchill. What have I done??

And, yes, the RV has been a huge challenge. My pipes have frozen up over and over again. My friend and neighbor here in the RV park calls trailers "glorified cardboard boxes."

To the guy who offered to help me with the trailer I just might have to take you up on your offer. But first I need to find out what in the heck is going on with my new job. I need to be working. Too much time sitting around thinking is a bad thing in a place like Williston in the winter.

Well, I'm not generally a religious type of fellow, but I know some you reading this are. In that line of thought I'll ask all of you reading this to pray for me and also for all the other desperate souls who march into Williston looking for a better life. Adversity hits all of us. Some of us get hit harder than others. This is life.

God bless the good people of Williston and all of North Dakota.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:57 PM

18 posts, read 27,206 times
Default cold

I know how ya feel. A pipe burst in my cellar where water comes in from my well. Its an Old farm house just over 100 years old. I don't think I have insulation in my walls either. Maybe some newspaper that's prolly it. I live in central mn. We haven't had much snow fall at all here. I would usually shovel snow up against the house all the way around for insulation but NO snow. I was depending on it.

Since that happened it has pushed my ship out date a little closer. I'll be headed up second week of Feb.

Hang in there man!! Winter is almost over. I regret leaving. I left not because of winter but another reason. And I've wanted to go back ever since. That was 5 years ago. I'd be rich already if I had returned right away.

Winter does have a way at eating away at a person. You've heard of Alaska and how one can get a little under the weather during winter. Well its the same way up here too. Not as bad though.

Anyway, hope to run into ya up there. take care.

Thanks for all the updates. It really is an inspiration for many. Don't let the weather get ya down.

ray

Old 01-24-2015, 08:50 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times
If all you are doing is sitting around, now is the time to get your trailer set up.

What kind of trailer did you get? 5th wheel? Bumper pull? Does it have a basement, plumbing inside, or is your plumbing exposed? Do you have slide outs? How big of a trailer? I froze my plumbing twice, and learned from it. Never froze again.

By the way, you do know that wind chill only effects things with a heartbeat. It is a computation of how fast exposure can cause hypothermia. It has nothing to do with anything about your trailer, automobile, plumbing, water tanks, etc.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:19 PM

517 posts, read 1,051,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeaworm View Post
Hey, thanks for all the positive feedback to my post. Big special thanks to Jan for staying in touch.

New update:

Winter is brutal in Williston. Nothing in California or even prison prepares you for this kind of weather. Nothing.

I quit the oil job I spoke of a few weeks ago. Not over the work but over the culture of the company. I can only take being treated like trash for so long. Anyhow, I found a new job pretty quickly despite the low oil prices. Unfortunately the new job is starting off very very slowly. The new job must have spent $3000.00 or more to give me PEC certification, loader and manlift certification, HESS and STAT OIL certification. So, I'm concerned and somewhat baffled by the lack of work.

To answer a question someone posted: I went to prison for a shooting and then I went back again for selling drugs. I was a very very troubled and misguided young person. Now I'm in my 40's and I'm seriously questioning my current sanity...especially when it gets to -40 or so with the windchill. What have I done??

And, yes, the RV has been a huge challenge. My pipes have frozen up over and over again. My friend and neighbor here in the RV park calls trailers "glorified cardboard boxes."

To the guy who offered to help me with the trailer I just might have to take you up on your offer. But first I need to find out what in the heck is going on with my new job. I need to be working. Too much time sitting around thinking is a bad thing in a place like Williston in the winter.

Well, I'm not generally a religious type of fellow, but I know some you reading this are. In that line of thought I'll ask all of you reading this to pray for me and also for all the other desperate souls who march into Williston looking for a better life. Adversity hits all of us. Some of us get hit harder than others. This is life.

God bless the good people of Williston and all of North Dakota.
If you are not working pretty quick, bail.

There are none of the oil wells making money at sub 50 dollars a barrel. Even at 70, the work will be slow.

For long term, you might try the coal mine out there. They were paying pretty decent and the work is steady. Also, if you can, again, less money but steady work, a pipeliner. Typically decent hourly wages, easy work, steady pay check.

If you are not going to do that, stash your cash, you will need it.

I went through the 86 bust; the Saudis said the exact same words. I pulled radio communications packages for 4 months, sat home for two, and drew unemployment for six before I got a government job in Virginia. I watched people from Virginia fly down to Houston and buy houses that had been built two years earlier for 40 thousand dollars, pay 5000 and put them on thier credit cards.

History doesn't repeat, but it often rhymes.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:06 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
I know that many positions and companies slow down routinely during the winter...Add to that the major decrease in price of oil...it is very worrisome....i will say, that fact that the company spent that much to train you is a positive in my eyes....hold onto that thought, but as Qasulight suggested, if you aren't working at all follow your gut instinct.
I moved here from Calif in 81....I was an oil field wife for over 10 years...i know how tough the hours can be..it seems to be either feast or famine.

My ex runs a major company there, and I laugh, because I remember a period early 80's....He had been laid off, times were really tough....he got a call at 3am....and he was gonna just go back to sleep. I wasn't having it....I said call them back....tell them you are on the way....And, they will remember you next time someone twists off....Well they surely did....He has worked for the same company since then.

So, take what you can get if you get to that point....There will be plenty of folks that cannot weather this slow down, they will leave openings for those that do
Be the one that always shows up, ready to work and with a positive attitude, even if you don't really feel positive. North Dakota folks have great regard for a hard working, non-complaining employee, it's right up there with doing what you say, and saying what you do....Dependability goes a long way in any field....But, I know you already know this...maybe someone else reading this will get inspired.

One thing that helped me my first winter....Do something to de-stress, read, write a journal, watch a funny video....anything. Feed yourself as good as you can...stay away from alcohol, and negative folks that can bring you down emotionally. Spend time with good friends, even if it is just BS-ing.

Work on your housing, as Elkhunter said....use this time as productively as possible....I seriously suggest any type community group, volunteer, join....network...it is often who you know....And it will kill time and lots of positives in volunteering.

Don't isolate yourself....if you can't do anything but walk around Walmart window shopping, do that....it reminds us that we are not alone, smile and nod at a few folks....it does warm up your insides.

Network, as much as you can....You are bound to be a person that can read people really well by now...your life experiences have taught you lessons others won't have. That will keep you on your toes....if you do need somewhere to go, to fit into a routine the rec center might be worth the investment....a pick up basketball game can lift the spirits for my sons...maybe it will yours too.....

You can do this....I wish you the best young man!

Old 02-21-2015, 05:26 PM

405 posts, read 1,279,096 times
You got more gumption than I do there bud.
I head for San Diego, CA after thanksgiving and go back up after easter.
And that's with company housing provided.
You can have that -40 below s***.
I do well enough with what I make the rest o the year up there.

Old 02-23-2015, 02:41 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,900,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
By the way, you do know that wind chill only effects things with a heartbeat. It is a computation of how fast exposure can cause hypothermia. It has nothing to do with anything about your trailer, automobile, plumbing, water tanks, etc.
It's real hard to convince some people otherwise. Even when you explain it like you have, they'll still insist the engine in their vehicle "feels" it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM1258 View Post
I head for San Diego, CA after thanksgiving and go back up after easter.
And that's with company housing provided. ... I do well enough with what I make the rest o the year up there.
There is nothing wrong with that lifestyle if you can afford it and your skill-set allows for it.

It seems that it would be better to come up here for the cold and then enjoy the nice weather the other half of the year, but to each their own.

Old 02-23-2015, 04:19 PM

158 posts, read 305,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I know that many positions and companies slow down routinely during the winter...Add to that the major decrease in price of oil...it is very worrisome....i will say, that fact that the company spent that much to train you is a positive in my eyes....hold onto that thought, but as Qasulight suggested, if you aren't working at all follow your gut instinct.
I moved here from Calif in 81....I was an oil field wife for over 10 years...i know how tough the hours can be..it seems to be either feast or famine.

My ex runs a major company there, and I laugh, because I remember a period early 80's....He had been laid off, times were really tough....he got a call at 3am....and he was gonna just go back to sleep. I wasn't having it....I said call them back....tell them you are on the way....And, they will remember you next time someone twists off....Well they surely did....He has worked for the same company since then.

So, take what you can get if you get to that point....There will be plenty of folks that cannot weather this slow down, they will leave openings for those that do
Be the one that always shows up, ready to work and with a positive attitude, even if you don't really feel positive. North Dakota folks have great regard for a hard working, non-complaining employee, it's right up there with doing what you say, and saying what you do....Dependability goes a long way in any field....But, I know you already know this...maybe someone else reading this will get inspired.

One thing that helped me my first winter....Do something to de-stress, read, write a journal, watch a funny video....anything. Feed yourself as good as you can...stay away from alcohol, and negative folks that can bring you down emotionally. Spend time with good friends, even if it is just BS-ing.

Work on your housing, as Elkhunter said....use this time as productively as possible....I seriously suggest any type community group, volunteer, join....network...it is often who you know....And it will kill time and lots of positives in volunteering.

Don't isolate yourself....if you can't do anything but walk around Walmart window shopping, do that....it reminds us that we are not alone, smile and nod at a few folks....it does warm up your insides.

Network, as much as you can....You are bound to be a person that can read people really well by now...your life experiences have taught you lessons others won't have. That will keep you on your toes....if you do need somewhere to go, to fit into a routine the rec center might be worth the investment....a pick up basketball game can lift the spirits for my sons...maybe it will yours too.....

You can do this....I wish you the best young man!
Great advice and great post in general... I'm not in ND and just enjoy reading the forums and once in a great while you come across a good, solid and inspirational post with no nonsense advice that restores some faith in humanity...thanks for that!

Old 02-24-2015, 05:18 PM

405 posts, read 1,279,096 times
I stay in touch with a couple o the die hards up there.
I've heard of several cases of guys losing their fingers & toes to the cold.
Maybe they didn't adequately prepare.
Just the same it ain't worth the risk.
I'm in Seal Beach, CA (near San Diego) hangin out with my dad.
I'll be back in Williston for the big job fair in April.
C'ya all then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston