Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 03:18 PM

18 posts, read 27,244 times

Advertisements

City of Williston closes two man camps for not complying with fire sprinkler systems.
below is the link to the article.

That is too bad, hopefully they set up out of town again.

City closes 2 man camps - Williston Herald: News

Last edited by 111arcticcat; 01-14-2015 at 03:21 PM.. Reason: misspelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 06:10 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,218,221 times
They gave ATCO a long tome to comply with the order. As Williston has more housing now and they may not have been at full capacity, I think they were just going to let the city close them down. They just wanted the $.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:54 PM

2 posts, read 3,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 111arcticcat View Post
City of Williston closes two man camps for not complying with fire sprinkler systems.
below is the link to the article.

That is too bad, hopefully they set up out of town again.

City closes 2 man camps - Williston Herald: News
Is there still a moratorium on man camps in Williams country? I think those guys are gonzo.

Old 01-15-2015, 02:07 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,159,384 times
I stay in one of these man camps. Yesterday, a couple of us asked the managers at the camp about if our company needs to start looking for new housing. One of the managers replied with a wink, then told us "we got everything under control, nobody is closing down."

Guess we will see what happens.

Old 01-15-2015, 05:31 PM

So, you'd willingly stay in a place that is deficient in the fire code? No sprinklers is a pretty serious violation.

Not for me.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:39 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcat2k View Post
So, you'd willingly stay in a place that is deficient in the fire code? No sprinklers is a pretty serious violation.

Not for me.
There is a difference between 'no sprinkler system' and a non-compliant sprinkler system. At one point they say, bring it up to code and in another they hint at no sprinkler system.

The average house does not have a sprinkler system and the city probably didn't demand they install one. So its safe to live in a home with none, but unsafe to live in a man camp with a system that doesn't meet city code, but does meet county, state, and international code.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:17 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,902,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
The average house does not have a sprinkler system and the city probably didn't demand they install one. So its safe to live in a home with none, but unsafe to live in a man camp with a system that doesn't meet city code, but does meet county, state, and international code.
I'd like to point out that your house has fire risks under control from room-to-room, but a resident of a man-camp doesn't know what's going on - on the other side of the wall.

I'm assuming that cigarette smoking is not permitted in the Man Camp. .... but ....

-o- Does he have a pan of stuff frying on the stove, but he's fallen asleep due to working 14 consecutive 12-hour days?

-o- Does he have 15 appliances plugged into an old extension cord that should have been thrown away?

-o- make up your own scenario ...

I live in an apartment building, a fourplex, with only three neighbors that share a wall with me. I worry all the time that someone is doing something stupid.

Call me a whiny baby, but I agree with the statement "it's safe to live in a home with none, but unsafe to live in a man camp with a system that doesn't meet city code."

That being said, I moved here on a permanent basis and have valuables and photos and other sentimental things in my living space, whilst most Man Camp residents just moved up in their truck.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:20 PM

I will also add that in a house, the occupancy per sf is much lower than even a nice man camp. These only have a single window that most oil field workers would struggle to fit through if they had to get out in an emergency. This means they have to use another means of egress which may be blocked by the fire or smoke.

I don't think ATCO allows cooking the individual rooms and I'm pretty certain they are set up like Target Logistics which has a centralized kitchen. That doesn't mean people don't smoke in their rooms and disable the smoke detector.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:35 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Quote:
I will also add that in a house, the occupancy per sf is much lower than even a nice man camp. These only have a single window that most oil field workers would struggle to fit through if they had to get out in an emergency. This means they have to use another means of egress which may be blocked by the fire or smoke.

I don't think ATCO allows cooking the individual rooms and I'm pretty certain they are set up like Target Logistics which has a centralized kitchen. That doesn't mean people don't smoke in their rooms and disable the smoke detector.
Sure, thee are a lot of scenarios that one can come with, but the point is that the man camp meets county, state, and international building code. Has to. However, that piece of land was annexed into city, which has jot adopted International Building Code, bit instead had a code of their own. Its not like the man camp has no sprinkler system, it does. It just doesn't meet Willistons code. Most towns and city's adopt IBC as good for building and the only amendments they do have is to soil compactions, wind, snow load, etc based on location. That means that the majority of structures in the US are built to IBC standards, just like the man camps are. Its just strange to see a statement that I wouldn't live under those conditions, when the person does and has in many of the places they have lived. IIT sends a statement like 'I know what's good for everybody else, but I don't adhere to those standards.'

Old 01-17-2015, 09:39 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,159,384 times
Quote:

Not for me.
Contractors are in now making the buildings up to code.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
View detailed profiles of: