Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2010, 07:19 AM

365 posts, read 1,010,617 times

Advertisements

Here is our situation, we just accepted an offer on the sale of our house and will need to make a relocation decision fast. This is also a retirement move. Initially after doing research and visiting both cities, we decided that Menasha(which has the lowest median home cost of other surrounding cities like Appleton) would be the best choice for us, because it reminded us of a mini Madison(where we live now), except less liberal thinking. Then after some further consideration, we started thinking that Manitowoc would better fit our desires in retirement. Doing research there's no question that Manitowoc would have the lower cost of living, lower property taxes, which is very important to us. Menasha has more conveniences for shopping & eating. Manitowoc is a smaller community with much less density then Menasha. Manitowoc has a nice bike trail along the lake, easy access to other other areas for outdoor recreation. Both cities offer decent options for our passion of playing disc golf. Lake Michigan seems to have a strong draw to us for some reason. We won't own a boat, so it's not that. Although a kayak seems to be a strong thought. Ease of getting around a city matters, seems Manitowoc would be less stressful and smelly(paper factory). As far as the weather & winter goes, I've read that Manitowoc actually has less snow then Menasha, and that it's warmer there in the winter and cooler in the summer. We will make one more trip shortly to both cities for one more look around, but I'd love to know your thoughts. Maybe you can bring something to light that we haven't thought about
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 06:59 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,860,262 times
To me the concept of "making a relocation decision fast" seems like a recipe for unhappiness. What is the rush? especially in your situation? rent for a year in each town.

As far as the towns you mention - both average midsize WI communities that offer amenities as well as negatives. Both seem to me, to have a larger share than normal of lower income neighborhoods. Reason of low average home prices perhaps?

Manitowoc friends have had horrible times trying to sell homes. They feel stuck in an unfriendly town.
Is this fair or true - I don't know. I am only passing along comments I have heard.

Appelton area is one of nicest in WI, but i think there are nicer areas than Menasha. Neenah is a very nice town that has done a good rehab in the downtown area. It is a very civic minded town. If I moved back to WI, it would be to Neenah.

Good luck with your change!

Old 08-15-2010, 05:26 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,064,137 times
Either town is fine

Old 08-15-2010, 07:42 PM

14,327 posts, read 14,623,274 times
I like the Manitowoc area because it is smaller, which is why I came here 3 yrs. ago. The lake was a major draw for me. I like living near Lake Michigan, in Illinois I was 2 mis. or so away, here I'm just blocks away, which is nice.

I haven't found people to be unfriendly or stand offish any where I go in NE Wisconsin, quite the opposite in fact, even when they find out I'm an Illinois transplant!

Old 08-16-2010, 03:23 PM

298 posts, read 704,570 times
Manitowoc is clean, inexpensive, friendly and safe. It is beautiful by Lake Michigan. All your basic daily needs can be met here and if you wish to visit Appleton it's only 45 minutes away.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:25 PM

365 posts, read 1,010,617 times
Well, thanks for your thoughts:0 Actually, we just took an overnight trip to check neighborhoods out in both places. We have visited both cities before, to get a feel for them. Now after this trip I believe that the Appleton area would suit us better. Manitowoc seems to be more spread out which I actually don't care for. In the Appleton area, I feel like I'm still living in Madison. Looking at homes in our price range, there were more possibilities of nicer looking areas in Menasha then Manitowoc. While Manitowoc does have lake michigan, we probably wouldn't find a house close enough to the lake to appreciate it on a daily basis without driving over to it. Menasha & Appleton have a couple lakes and the fox river. The suggestion was brought up to just rent for a year in both cities. Honestly, I hate moving! I only wanted to have to do it this one last time, and into a home we bought. However, I have come to realize we will need to rent short term. There are no perfect places, there are always trade offs. Hopefully, we will make the best decision we can with whatever information we have, and I've done a lot of research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin