Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 05:56 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,398,548 times

Advertisements

I think Watertown has a decent sized immigrant population, which may account for lower test scores (not trying to start anything political, just telling it from what I've seen first hand).

Oconomowoc is probably a bit more "affluent" (check out the developments at Pabst Farms, which is just north of the interstate) than Watertown in general, but Watertown is by no means a "dump". It has a nice downtown, good parks, etc. There are some good restaurants and bars, things to do, decent shopping, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 08:54 PM

1 posts, read 3,125 times
I bought an entry-level house in Watertown eight years ago and I have regretted the decision ever since. Watertown is in no-man's land. Besides the schools and hospital there is no sustainable employment--meaning that you will more than likely have to commute at LEAST 30 minutes (Madison and Milwaukee, an hour) to any job that pays more than $50,000/year. Their is no cultural activities (except sitting with the white trash losers in the bars) and no shopping (except WalMart and Farm & Fleet). Again, you will be getting in your car and driving to Madison or Metro-Milwaukee for any descent type of shopping experience. And the restaurants? Well, if you move here I sure hope you like mexican food, submarine sandwiches and pizza, because that's all there is here. City government are a bunch of douche canoes who couldn't manage to find the bathroom if a neon sign was pointing to it, let alone managing a city budget and growth initiative that doesn't cause the tax-paying homeowner to have to bend over further and further each year. And for what? To cover their poor decisions and lack of accountability. This place is frickin' bizarro world. Do yourself a favor and look for a house in Oconomowoc, Delafield, even Johnson Creek. Watertown is crap. And seriously? The best name you losers can come up with for a school team is the "Goslings"? Oooo, I'm afraid of a little fluffy goose. /eyeroll

Old 04-20-2012, 03:17 AM

2,663 posts, read 3,861,792 times
Lived in SE WI for 15 plus years. I would not live in Watertown.
Honestly cannot give you specifics, just kind of creepy in comparison to nicer towns within 30 miles of Oconomowoc.

Further for future sale, the corridor between Madison and Milwaukee has better chance of growth and thus maybe some profit. Although given anemic economy of WI, high taxes and winter, not sure there is anyplace in WI where one can count on a profitable house sale anymore.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:50 PM

662 posts, read 1,451,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pccasab View Post
Thanks again. I am getting more of the picture, thanks. Yes, I am familiar with google streetview and have used it. It's just that looking at houses, it's hard to tell about a place. Please let me explain: Where I live, the word "dump" brings to mind things like: poverty-striken or near-poverty-stricken people, living in an urban-blighted area with failing or near-failing schools and an excess of places such as pawn shops, liquor stores, and payday-loan places. Where I live, you can buy a $200,000+ house and still end up in a neighborhood that "looks" fairly nice, but the high school is seething with near-riots at times and gang infiltration has set into the neighborhoods. You have to pay more and more to keep moving out farther and farther from the "city" to feel reasonably safe and to trust that the school is not going to fail your child. All of this is happening in what used to be the suburbs, by the way. So when I hear "dump" that is what I am thinking: Something that is like that, or becoming that. No stability, getting worse. I can't tell by looking at houses or even stores (eta: on Google street view) what the "atmosphere" is like. In fact, some of the neighborhoods I've seen in Oconomowoc would be "dumps" where I live, whereas in Oconomowoc, they are not. Do you see what I'm asking? Thanks again.

eta: I have a feeling that what I'm describing does not really exist in Wisconsin except in maybe the inner city, but it exists here even in the suburbs, and the small cities and towns in the outlying areas also can have problems, especially with providing a decent education in their public schools.
Whoa, wait a minute here people. What the OP is describing as what she would define as a dump, and what Watertown is are two very different things! I grew up in Watertown and my father still lives there. It is a very neat, clean town with a proud German heritage. Even small, old houses in lower middle class neighborhoods are well-kept with pride of ownership.

I lived in the South for years. Small towns in the South generally aren't as neat and tidy as those in WI. Furthermore, Watertown is safe without "bad" neighborhoods or gang violence. To call Watertown a dump is a gross exaggeration. I have a few friends from high school who still live in Watertown. Their children have gone on or are presently in college performing very well. I'm not sure why test scores would be lower in Watertown.

If you are looking for big city amenities like a symphony, art museums, etc. Then Watertown isn't for you. You will have to travel 45 minutes to an hour for these. But to say everyone in Watertown is white trash is complete hyperbole.

Riverside Park, the Municipal Pool with the water slides, the beautiful bike trails close by, the lovely Rock River with all of those weeping willows hanging over it, the historic buildings, the Friday night fish fries, etc. all make Watertown a lovely but bucolic place.

My husband who doesn't have the sentimental feelings I have for the place, and who has traveled all over the US and the world thinks Watertown is very pretty.

If you want a safe place, that is pretty and close to the cities with housing prices lower than Oconomowoc and with people who are less pretentious, then Watertown is a great place to raise a family.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allrising1 View Post
I bought an entry-level house in Watertown eight years ago and I have regretted the decision ever since. Watertown is in no-man's land. . This place is frickin' bizarro world. Do yourself a favor and look for a house in Oconomowoc, Delafield, even Johnson Creek. Watertown is crap. And seriously? The best name you losers can come up with for a school team is the "Goslings"? Oooo, I'm afraid of a little fluffy goose. /eyeroll
I think you need to sell your house and move. Obviously you are miserable in Watertown. To call it bizarro world is a huge overstatement.

Why would you call everyone in a town a loser? The reason Watertown's teams are called "Goslings" an admittedly funny name is historical. At one time Watertown was one of the largest producers of fois gras, which was shipped to France since it was such a delicacy there. The process used to fatten the geese was not very humane, so fois gras hasn't been made in Watertown for almost 100 years. Still, the name has stuck. Why not? Why be boring and another "Bears" or whatever.

Maybe, if you chose to get involved in the excellent historical society in Watertown, or the very talented community theater, or in any number of other fine organizations in that small city rather than hanging out at the bars, you would find people who aren't "trash'.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:42 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,398,548 times
Agree with nonexpat. Watertown's population is around 22,000; yet I still say there is plenty to do around that area. Anyone expecting tons of big city amenities and entertainment options in a city of that size is pretty delusional.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:26 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,891,071 times
Well, I live south west of Watertown, have for a long time, and I'm sorry to tell you people that no longer live there, Watertown IS Bizarre-O world. It's like they're stuck in the 90's or something. Ask anybody around there, Lake Mills, Delafield, Oconomowoc, wherever. it's a pretty well shared opinion. Somebody looks/acts white trash? "They're from Watertown" is a response that will get you a knowing agreement from anybody around. I'm sure there must be some nice decent people there somewhere, like your friends and relatives. I've just never met any.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
Well, I live south west of Watertown, have for a long time, and I'm sorry to tell you people that no longer live there, Watertown IS Bizarre-O world. It's like they're stuck in the 90's or something. Ask anybody around there, Lake Mills, Delafield, Oconomowoc, wherever. it's a pretty well shared opinion. Somebody looks/acts white trash? "They're from Watertown" is a response that will get you a knowing agreement from anybody around. I'm sure there must be some nice decent people there somewhere, like your friends and relatives. I've just never met any.
Wow! This board is supposed to be informative for people wanting to learn about specific towns and cities. You have just stereotyped an entire town of 22,000 people as being "white trash".

I lived and taught in Southwestern Wisconsin for ten years after graduating from college. I coached forensics and sports, and I met with teachers from all over southwestern Wisconsin. I never, ever heard anyone say Watertown was full of white trash. They didn't know I was from Watertown because I was teaching in Spring Green at the time.

Furthermore, there is no doubt that Oconomowoc and Delafield are much wealthier areas than Watertown. But depending on where you live in southwestern WI, many of those towns are blue collar, or solidly middle class rather than upper middle class.

Certainly Lake Mills, Beaver Dam, West Bend and many other towns have a similar demographic to Watertown.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:55 PM

I would also add that I would take anything someone from Oconomowoc says about Watertown with a grain of salt. The rivalry between Oconomowoc and Watertown spans generations and is very intense. I have met people while living in Dallas, TX who happened to be from Oconomowoc and when they found out I was from Watertown jokingly glowered at me.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:26 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,891,071 times
I'm not from Oconomowoc OR Delafield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin