Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 01:52 PM

2,073 posts, read 1,641,440 times

Advertisements

One of the University of Miami's star basketball players was from Wisconsin about five years ago. I saw a lot of those games at the "U" in Coral Gables. If you watch local college competition, don't be surprised if someone from Wisconsin is on the roster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2018, 04:57 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,445,439 times
I miss a lot about Wisconsin, never say never, but I've been gone 23 years, and can't imagine moving back.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:22 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
I miss a lot about Wisconsin, never say never, but I've been gone 23 years, and can't imagine moving back.
I hate any heat and humidity so Wisconsin always looks better compared to many areas of the US based on how expensive most of the milder climate West Coast areas are getting.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I hate any heat and humidity so Wisconsin always looks better compared to many areas of the US based on how expensive most of the milder climate West Coast areas are getting.
Thankfully people have different likes/dislikes or we’d all be in one spot

The cost of living’s become insane all over!
Especially the west coast

Old 07-05-2018, 02:12 PM

2,661 posts, read 3,856,083 times
Quote:
Thankfully people have different likes/dislikes or we’d all be in one spot

The cost of living’s become insane all over!
Especially the west coast
I have been on West coast for yrs now. I miss many things about WI including people, activities and culture. WI scenery and lakes are nice but they can't hold a candle to rugged coast, mountains and deserts of the PNW. PNW beats WI in that regard.

However, while I do NOT want to live in WI winter anymore, I will definitely entertain moving back when I retire. We can leave when winter comes.

The COL issue is real and money goes further in midwest than here.
Here is a typical response from one of the online calculators.
I do not assume these are 100% accurate but they can help show a trend.

[b]Cost of Living Comparison:
Portland, Oregon - Madison, Wisconsin
A salary of $200,000 in Portland, Oregon could decrease to $156,014 in Madison, Wisconsin

Almost 25% difference - that's a lot of money!!
Further Portland is cheapest city on WC.
Run the #'s for an LA, SF or Seattle and the delta is even greater.

Here is my prediction:
Given that WI has a high quality of life rating and is a "bargain" compared to many urban areas of either coast, people will move there with increasing frequency.

Our timing has worked out well (pure luck - moved here during tail end of great recession). The two homes we own in OR have dramatically increased in value with all the Californians moving in. We can take that money and buy acreage plus a really nice place in Western WI someday.

The way people here react to Californians reminds of how Cheese heads hate the FIBS - cracks me up.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
I have been on West coast for yrs now. I miss many things about WI including people, activities and culture. WI scenery and lakes are nice but they can't hold a candle to rugged coast, mountains and deserts of the PNW. PNW beats WI in that regard.

However, while I do NOT want to live in WI winter anymore, I will definitely entertain moving back when I retire. We can leave when winter comes.

The COL issue is real and money goes further in midwest than here.
Here is a typical response from one of the online calculators.
I do not assume these are 100% accurate but they can help show a trend.

[b]Cost of Living Comparison:
Portland, Oregon - Madison, Wisconsin
A salary of $200,000 in Portland, Oregon could decrease to $156,014 in Madison, Wisconsin

Almost 25% difference - that's a lot of money!!
Further Portland is cheapest city on WC.
Run the #'s for an LA, SF or Seattle and the delta is even greater.

Here is my prediction:
Given that WI has a high quality of life rating and is a "bargain" compared to many urban areas of either coast, people will move there with increasing frequency.

Our timing has worked out well (pure luck - moved here during tail end of great recession). The two homes we own in OR have dramatically increased in value with all the Californians moving in. We can take that money and buy acreage plus a really nice place in Western WI someday.

The way people here react to Californians reminds of how Cheese heads hate the FIBS - cracks me up.
Great post!
I’ve researched COLs myself.
The fact that Wisconsin taxes social security gives me pause as far as retiring there. But that’s another discussion.

The whole FIB thing??
In a sea of people, where the majority are from the northeast, I find myself bonding with FIBs over that whole thing

Old 07-05-2018, 07:59 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,101,403 times
There are deals on property taxes in Wisconsin, however you wont see 500 a year southern type of property taxes.

https://patch.com/wisconsin/milwauke...village-ranked

Keep in mind these numbers are outdated but you get an idea. For instance my property taxes in Mequon are $2,500 on assessed house of 200K.

BTW, you couldn't pay me to live in Portland. I'd rather pay east side of Milwaukee taxes than live there.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:52 PM

2,661 posts, read 3,856,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
BTW, you couldn't pay me to live in Portland. I'd rather pay east side of Milwaukee taxes than live there.
Why? I am curious.
Aside from the whacky politics, it's pretty nice.

If we move back to WI, it would most definitely not be anywhere near Milwaukee/Milwaukee county. 15 years there was enough. I do admit that there always was good paying work available. Milwaukee deserved it's manufacturing powerhouse reputation in those days.

However, unless one has family or other ties to the area, I am not sure what is worthwhile about the city once done working.

I could visit Milwaukee once or twice a year for fun if needed.

Old 07-06-2018, 07:44 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Why? I am curious.
Aside from the whacky politics, it's pretty nice.

If we move back to WI, it would most definitely not be anywhere near Milwaukee/Milwaukee county. 15 years there was enough. I do admit that there always was good paying work available. Milwaukee deserved it's manufacturing powerhouse reputation in those days.

However, unless one has family or other ties to the area, I am not sure what is worthwhile about the city once done working.

I could visit Milwaukee once or twice a year for fun if needed.
I prefer the Northwoods, so rural Vilas County would generally be my preferred area to live in once I'm retired. I like the snow and deep woods. Cold is no issue.

Old 07-06-2018, 08:17 PM

1,201 posts, read 617,436 times
Quote:
Great post!
I’ve researched COLs myself.
The fact that Wisconsin taxes social security gives me pause as far as retiring there. But that’s another discussion.

The whole FIB thing??
In a sea of people, where the majority are from the northeast, I find myself bonding with FIBs over that whole thing

Wisconsin does not tax social security. https://www.revenue.wi.gov/pages/faq...red.aspx#retr4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin