Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2007, 02:04 PM

4 posts, read 32,532 times

Advertisements

thinking of relocating here how is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 06:45 PM

653 posts, read 3,408,831 times
Oshkosh is nice. Population about 65,000. Crime rate is low. University of Wisconsin has a rather large campus there. Home prices similar to the Fox Valley (appleton) area. Lots of festivals in the city during the summer months. Downtown not the greatest, but a lot of "Sprucing Up" in the city center at present. 30 minute drive to the Fox Valley, 90 minutes to downtown Milwaukee. Oshkosh has a little more 'Liberal' attitude, than does Appleton, but not as prominent as it is in Madison. I personally prefer La Crosse and Madison over Oshkosh, but Oshkosh is allright!!

Old 06-04-2007, 09:13 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,866,824 times
oshkosh is ok. i lived there for a few years during college (still work in oshkosh and actually have returned to school there as well). every summer thursday they have a concert downtown on the river, ranging from local bands to old rock bands (like 38 special or starship). the campus is nice and has seen continual improvements over the last decade.

there really isnt much for shopping or eating, though. they have a fairly large "outlet mall" but imo its not that great. there is a couple of good restaraunts i suppose, but you have to hunt for them and certainly aren't places i would purposely choose over appleton's. ratch & deb's has goooood pizza, its on merrit ave. jeff's on rugby isnt too bad. kodiac jacks is a new place that's real popular but i don't dig it personally. there is a drive-up ice cream place called ardy & eds on the south side, and they still rollerskate to your car. their home made rootbeer is good.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:46 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,877,204 times
Oshkosh is okay, definitely not great. A fairly large portion of the town has a rather run down, poor appearance which was enough to turn us off moving there. Appleton has more to offer (I can't believe I just said that!) for overall life style. More restaurants, places to go, shopping, better schools (from what I'm told), and a better housing inventory.

Neenah might be a good alternative for you as far as housing goes. It is right in between Oshkosh and Appleton, just 10 minutes in either direction.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:37 AM

653 posts, read 3,408,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoNE View Post
Oshkosh is okay, definitely not great. A fairly large portion of the town has a rather run down, poor appearance which was enough to turn us off moving there. Appleton has more to offer (I can't believe I just said that!) for overall life style. More restaurants, places to go, shopping, better schools (from what I'm told), and a better housing inventory.

Neenah might be a good alternative for you as far as housing goes. It is right in between Oshkosh and Appleton, just 10 minutes in either direction.
And I Can't believe you just said that!!! LOL

Old 10-25-2010, 01:15 PM

5 posts, read 14,994 times
Default Osh kosh

My hubby and I want to relocate near Oshkosh.Since we are not much of city dwellers.But not stuck out in the middle of nowhere kind of people can anyone recommend little bit of smaller safe area? I am going to be pretty much be myself because he is an over the truck driver.Schools are not an issue. We're done that stuff. We come from a town of 500. Pgh Pa 20 miles awayAny body got any ideas?

Old 11-04-2010, 01:28 PM

70 posts, read 217,374 times
My 2 cents. People, please don't get mad at me for saying this but........

IN MY OPINION. Oshkosh is not that great, it is "dumpy" to me. I have lived all the Fox Valley... Appleton, GB, neenah, little chute, ect ect (chronic mover) and my goodness, girl don't do oshkosh. It's a rundown(ish) college town. Like someone else said, not much choice of things, sure you have an outlet mall but...... whoopty doo...

I'd SERIOUSLY suggest Menasha, I lived in a gorgeous apartment complex there, twice actually, and it's close enough to Oshkosh and also a 10 minute drive to Appleton mall area... (where there's lots and lots to do and see.. shopping, restaurants, ect)

I don't want anyone in Oshkosh to be upset with me, I am simply stating what I see & I have many friends that live there & cannot wait to go somewhere cleaner as well....

My suggestion. Seriously, go to Menasha if you want a smaller town and Appleton is too big for you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin