Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 01:16 PM

37 posts, read 69,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJWVPhan View Post
Thanks for all the great replies everyone!

With the current tread-depth of our all-seasons reading 4/32's" I will most likely be tire shopping this summer for another set of all-seasons, probably Michelin LTX M/S2's at the Sam's Club in Wausau. Or I may decide on getting a set of Michelin Xice Xi2. I'd rather be safe than sorry so I am strongly leaning towards the latter. And eventually getting a second set of rims for the all-seasons' use in spring and summer.

Things can and do get dicey during winter in a vehicle that is RWD only and no traction control feature running all-seasons. So I forsee it only being worse when driving up north.

Thanks again and I'm looking forward to calling WI home

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Buy your tires after you get to Wisconsin at a reputable place. They'll know what to put on. I wouldn't waste the money on two sets of tires or wheels either. You just won't be able to drive on bald or balding tires like they can down south. We don't wait too long to put on new tires in the midwest. There's a reason for that. 4 wheel drive and front wheel drive do you no good if you have no tread left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 09:59 AM

10 posts, read 38,118 times
Snow tires were the best investment ever made for my family vehicles. I had an AWD Audi with new all-seasons on it. I was unable to get up a fairly mild hill with 2" of fluffy snow on it. With them, I keep driving in weather that leaves SUVs stuck. They are not a MUST, but once you try them, you will never want to drive in winter without.

I'm reminded of when my father used to drive a FWD sedan with snow tires on it. Our 4x4 wound up parked while dad's car got us around until the snow was cleared. They are well worth the small investment.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:59 AM

4 posts, read 10,698 times
Snow tires are not needed as long as you have a good set of fairly new tires. If the tires are worn down quite a bit, then buy a new set of tires, not necessarily snow tires.

Also, during the first snow fall watch out for all the people that "forgot" how to drive in the winter.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:59 PM

9 posts, read 13,471 times
Since you are driving a 2wd vehicle, I strongly recommend you try a set of snow tires with a good tread pattern. They will make a HUGE difference for you. All these people saying you don't need them likely have not tried them, if they did they wouldn't be saying that. They are made of a much softer compound and have far greater biting surfaces than other tires. You will be able to move through heavy snow and up hills without losing control and either fishtailing into other cars or off the road. They also help considerably with acceleration and braking. They can mean the difference between walking home in a blizzard or pulling into your garage. Also, the winter in Wisconsin lasts for a good 6 months where you can have snowfall and cold temps so really if you buy a set you'll have em on half the year so your other set will last 2x as long and you will be better prepared and feel a lot safer in your vehicle. My wife absolutely swears by them and will not drive without them n her car. A good set of all season tires are OK for an AWD vehicle, but in your case id recommend buying snow tires.

Old 10-02-2011, 01:47 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,142,653 times
Hi,

I live in Stevens Point, WI. This is my first winter in WI, and my first experience of driving in snow.

I am looking out for cars, and wonder if I really need a four wheel drive, or if I can make do with a FWD with good all season tires or winter tires.

Please advice.

Old 10-02-2011, 02:15 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times
From what people who use a strictly winter tire during say the following. In WI you do not need winter tires however once you use a great winter tire you will never use a all season tire again. They say winter tires make a huge difference but you have to buy a great winter tire and not a budget winter tire. Make sure you time winter right so you can get the most out of your tires. I also hear that if you have a car with low profile tires that the difference is even bigger. Hope that helps, I have all season tires but I live downtown Milwaukee surrounded by busy streets and freeways so the roads are usually clear pretty soon. Steven's Point, I would recommend getting winter tires if you live out in the country but if you stay inside city limits you would be fine with regular tires.

Old 10-02-2011, 02:34 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana07 View Post
Hi,

I live in Stevens Point, WI. This is my first winter in WI, and my first experience of driving in snow.

I am looking out for cars, and wonder if I really need a four wheel drive, or if I can make do with a FWD with good all season tires or winter tires.

Please advice.
In just about any municipality of any notable size, including Stevens Point, snow gets cleared off the streets pretty promptly after a snowfall. State highways are usually cleared off pretty quickly too, so the main arteries in and out of town will also be passable soon after a snowfall. So FWD with all-seasons will be "adequate," but barely. Keep in mind that snow tires provide traction benefits not just in snow, but even on dry pavement at winter temperatures. As it gets colder, the rubber compounds get harder; and as it gets harder, it loses grip. All-seasons are optimal for temperatures above 40 degrees or so. For winter temperatures of the type commonly experienced in central Wisconsin, winter tires provide much better try-traction grip.

So yes, you can "get by" with all-seasons, but IMO it's worth the extra expense of having two sets of wheels/tires and changing them according to season. That's particularly true when you consider that the only extra expense is buying an extra set of rims to make swapping from season to season a painless affair. A set of cheap steelies can be had for roughly $200. Consider that a one-time insurance premium to reduce your chances of an accident. And where the tires are concerned, yes there will be a higher initial outlay to have two sets of tires instead of one; but since you're only using each set for part of the year, you won't have to replace either as often as if you are only running a single set year-round. So the long-term cost of rotating between two sets of tires evens out over time to be little different than having one set.

As for FWD vs. AWD, there will be maybe 10 days a year where AWD will be a huge advantage. You'll need to weigh that against the added weight, added mechanical complexity (read: a higher quantity of expensive parts that can break), and reduced fuel economy that is part-and-parcel of an AWD car. If you have a driveway, AWD provides marginal benefit. If you have to deal with on-street parking (which I do), then an AWD car (which I have) can be a major help getting you into and out of snow-packed parking spots.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:20 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,887,077 times
I started driving a 4-wheel drive SUV during the winter a couple of years ago. Although my car was "good" in snow, IMHO there's no comparison. Once you have a 4-wheel drive you won't go back. I drive up the little incline in front Camp Randall Stadium every morning, often right past those sitting there spinning after they've had to stop for the lights at the top of the "hill". And that "hill" you wouldn't even notice, UNTIL there's snow.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:29 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,142,653 times
Thanks a lot for the replies.
I shall keep your advises in mind while shopping for a car, though I will be getting a set of snow tires for sure

Old 10-26-2011, 07:58 PM

16 posts, read 42,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
From what people who use a strictly winter tire during say the following. In WI you do not need winter tires however once you use a great winter tire you will never use a all season tire again. They say winter tires make a huge difference but you have to buy a great winter tire and not a budget winter tire. Make sure you time winter right so you can get the most out of your tires. I also hear that if you have a car with low profile tires that the difference is even bigger. Hope that helps, I have all season tires but I live downtown Milwaukee surrounded by busy streets and freeways so the roads are usually clear pretty soon. Steven's Point, I would recommend getting winter tires if you live out in the country but if you stay inside city limits you would be fine with regular tires.

Thanks for that reassurance! Putting a set of All-Season's on this weekend. I've heard that Downtown Milwaukee does a pretty job of clearing out major roadways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin