Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2011, 01:08 PM

36 posts, read 167,606 times

Advertisements

hi,
i am posting this for anyone who may be wondering about relocation to manitowoc, coming from out of state. this is what i found.

bying a house: easy to find if you are not looking for the latest trends like granite countertops, stainless steel appl, double vanity in br, or more than 25,000sq ft, etc.

areas to live: north is better

public schools: relatively good schools

shopping: very, very, very limited

things to do: its a small town but there is plenty of places to drive to as well.
dining: very very few high end restaurants, plenty of fast foods, diners, some chain restaurants

health care: two major medical centers, they're good...

families with kids: this town is very safe, there are activities through the parks as well as the ymca for the kids as well as some private opportunities. the library is fantastic, feels like a barnes n noble without the coffee, they also have ongoing kids activities throughout the year,

this is a relatively bike friendly town, with a path along the lake. there aren't a lot of streets with bike lanes, but drivers make space for bikers.

people are nice, smile, and say hello - generally. however, these are passersby. neighbors are a different story: they wave. don't expect chit chat or an invitation to dinner. in the different places i've rented here, i only really met one family member from the house next to us, who came over and welcomed me to the area. i'm friendly and outgoing, but here, i got tired of saying hello to people who don't answer.
overall, its an ok town, traffic free, cold cold cold winters, pleasant short summers, & a beautiful lakefront.
thanks for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 04:42 PM

27,344 posts, read 27,397,752 times
I live about 30 miles from there, population about 3500 or so people. Everyone looks out for everyone, rent here is pretty cheap and this house style is one I've always wanted to have. Butcher block counters, linoleum floors, attic, laundry is in the basement, huge grassy property.
I've been told indeed that northeastern smaller towns are cheaper and can see that. Sure we have to commute anywhere from 6-10 miles to work but heck I was doing that back in Calif and lived in a bigger town. Most of the work is dairy related but its year round and hard to get in to if you don't know someone already, in my experience.
I recently movedhere from Calif and WI is where I'm staying.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:11 AM

36 posts, read 167,606 times
I lived in Calif too. WI & CA are both great states. i lived in other states as well, frankly, CA & WI are 2 that i am glad i got to live in. WI has a lot to explore within reasonable distance with decent/tolerable traffic unlike CA. we rarely have a boring weekend.
This truly is the dairy state, and quite fragrant in some areas to attest to it , but i got used to it.
great ice cream - love cedarcrest

Old 01-02-2012, 07:45 PM

33 posts, read 69,105 times
we are also planning a move there. I'm more on the shy side so it won't upset me if the people are not real outgoing. Safe is most important to me. We are retired and just want to live in peace. thanks for your comment.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:23 PM

298 posts, read 704,479 times
You will be safe and comfortable here. Join the Y-has great programming for seniors. Churches are welcoming if you're interested. Nice senior center and great library. Lots of things to do for a small town and within easy driving distance to Milwaukee, Green Bay, Appleton. Many volunteer opportunities. Classes available at UW-Manitowoc and Silver Lake College. Lakeshore Tech is just 12 miles south.

Health care is good and providers will know your name.

Welcome home.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:40 AM

33 posts, read 69,105 times
Can anyone tell me about the area around Wilson and lakeside or Wilson and 9th in manitowoc. Very interested in a home there but we are from the Milwaukee/New Berlin area and are very unfamiliar with Manitowoc. Any tidbits would be much appreciated.

Read more: //www.city-data.com/forum/wisco...#ixzz1jFrlwwPo

Old 01-12-2012, 12:46 PM

298 posts, read 704,479 times
Replied to that ? on your other thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin