Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 08:43 PM

1 posts, read 7,722 times

Advertisements

My wife was terminated from her job for falsification of documents, she filled out her time slip ahead of time one day and turned it in, however her employer checked to see if she was at the job site and she finished early but forgot to change the time. she was off by an hour. She wasn't given a chance to change it to the correct time and wasn't wrote up or disciplined, just fired. When her supervisor talked to her she said "you know you're going to be wrote up for this" then 5 minutes later she was told she was fired after her supervisor talked to the human resource dept.
She was denied unemployment benefits, she is one of the most honest people you'd ever meet, she wouldn't intentionally try to skim some off the top. She was supposedly a valuable employee and was always told she did a good job.
I guess I just need opinions from people who have had experiences with wisconsin unemployment and or law.
thanks
Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 08:53 PM

13 posts, read 67,698 times
Hire a lawyer, the internet is a pooor place to get legal advice, he'll fight it, reputation on the line.

Old 11-29-2009, 05:51 AM

3 posts, read 12,025 times
Dealing with Wisc unemployment is like dealing with an army of poo flinging monkeys.
They fling poo at you and then run and hide. You may not get through to someone for weeks! I would go directly to the Unemplyment office in either Milwaukee or Madison and see what they can do.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:35 AM

1 posts, read 7,481 times
Hello,

Mostrenga: What was the outcome of your wife's termination?

Cajunham: I believe that I was wrongfully terminated and would like to seek a lawyer. Do you have any advice as to how to find a good lawyer?

Old 12-31-2009, 01:32 PM

118 posts, read 280,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostrenga View Post
My wife was terminated from her job for falsification of documents, she filled out her time slip ahead of time one day and turned it in, however her employer checked to see if she was at the job site and she finished early but forgot to change the time. she was off by an hour. She wasn't given a chance to change it to the correct time and wasn't wrote up or disciplined, just fired. When her supervisor talked to her she said "you know you're going to be wrote up for this" then 5 minutes later she was told she was fired after her supervisor talked to the human resource dept.
She was denied unemployment benefits, she is one of the most honest people you'd ever meet, she wouldn't intentionally try to skim some off the top. She was supposedly a valuable employee and was always told she did a good job.
I guess I just need opinions from people who have had experiences with wisconsin unemployment and or law.
thanks
Mark
Mark,

I believe one cannot draw unemployment if one has been fired for cause.
Here, there were two separate actions: your wife filled out her departure time ahead, which is impermissible in most placed BECAUSE one does not always leave at a particular time, that's why they have time sheets instead of just salary at certain jobs; and then, your wife did not leave when she said she did. She was fired for cause.

Employers take a serious view of time sheet falsification because it costs them big bucks and goes on intentionally all the time. I feel for you, because your wife sounds like she is not out to defraud, yet they got her fair and square.

That being said, what does she have to lose by appealling?

Old 01-06-2010, 09:48 PM

83 posts, read 232,196 times
You fail to mention the size of the place she worked at. If it's just a small, privately owned company, she can be fired at will, no reason even necessary. Alarger place would try to be mote professional and if there is a union involved, much harder to fire her without a warning or writeup. Like the above post states, they got her fair and square; what is a viable excuse for such a flagrant rule violation? There really isn't one.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:55 PM

57 posts, read 163,272 times
I was recently denied unemployment benefits in Michigan and I would say fight. You really have nothing to lose. I know in Michigan the Unemployment Department provides free attorneys to help you fight your case. You can even appeal that decision up to a Civil Court. I did not win, but I also could tell that my employer's HR person was going to fight any decision up to the Supreme Court. She had a personal issue with me and I know a lot of what they told the Unemployment office was not valid or true. Good Luck

Old 01-09-2010, 11:35 AM

83 posts, read 232,196 times
Actually, you do have something to lose. In WI, if you appeal and lose you will be penalized by having the time until you get the first unemployment check extended by several weeks.
We had an employee that just walked out one evening, didn't close up or complete his duties. I called and left a message for him to call me back to explain himself, which he didn't do. Later, after having called again, I left the message that I consider his walking out with no communication a voluntary quit. The next the am he came to work like no problem. When I told him he no longer had a job, he got mouthy and told us he'll just get unemployment. When we got the paperwork from unemployment, we fought it and wound up going to a hearing about it that was overseen by an administrative judge. She told this individual prior to the start of the hearing that he needed to be informed that if his appeal went against him, he would not be able to draw unemployment for an extended period of time, in his case it was 16 WEEKS.
Of course, he lost that hearing and so our unemployment account did not pay out to him for that time period.
Unemployment is NOT an entitlement, it is a benefit that you need to QUALIFY for. If you get denied, there is a reason.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:11 AM

57 posts, read 163,272 times
WOW ... I didn't realize that in Wisconsin you would be penalized ~ sorry about that. With my case I was denied three times for three different reasons: 1) I quit a job I could perform 2) I was not able to work full-time due to my work injury and the best one 3) I am an illegal alien .... mind you, my grandfather is 15% native american indian ! ! ! My employer's HR would have fought my unemployment to the Supreme Court. In Wisconsin, are attorneys provided at no cost to discuss a possible appeal of unemployment??? Attorneys are provided free here in Michigan for unemployment.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:50 AM

1 posts, read 6,671 times
I just got denied for unemployment in Michigan. I have medical documentation from my doctor saying I am unable to work the duties needed for the job I held. I had to resign from my job with the Dept. Of Homeland Security that I had worked 32 hrs/wk for the last 6 YEARS. And just a few days ago I got my determination in the mail stating " You are ineligible because it is found that you were not able to perform suitable full-time work." What can I do?? Im a mother of 3 and am having a REAL hard time making ends meet right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin