Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 05:05 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,252,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
yeah we're driving back after Christmas, but as it's a vacation week we have the flex to take our time, and we do have 4wd if needed. But as usual, i dont worry about my driving, it's always the other guy lol.

thx!
Today was supposedly the last day to ship anything via overnite to get the packages to their destination before Christmas.

I saw the national weather map and looked like Nebraska and Kansas were getting hammered, and it's coming this way.

The thing I never liked was driving through southern states where temperatures hover around the freezing mark, and freezing rain develops, and even 4 wd is useless in those conditions. I drove a 18 years ago and wound up in an ice storm, cars and smaller trucks were scattered everywhere, {southern Illinois}
I ended up pulling into a truck stop til after daybreak when the ice began to melt.
You're correct about the "other guy".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 07:52 PM

2,311 posts, read 1,848,310 times
Quote:
I drove a 18 years ago and wound up in an ice storm, cars and smaller trucks were scattered everywhere, {southern Illinois}
I ended up pulling into a truck stop til after daybreak
When it snows here (mountains of NC) people go absolutely NUTS. I've been told that some people call sick into work if they see a snow flake. They had people leave an hour into their shift because it called for snow and someone spotted a snow flake. I find it really humorous of course. It's weird that in Illinois that cars would be all over (and off) the road since they should be use to snow. I told my co-workers the average snowfall amounts in Wisconsin and you should see their eyes get wide. Haha.

Anyways, the package is suppose to get here on Wednesday oddly enough! Woo!

Old 12-18-2012, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quert View Post
When it snows here (mountains of NC) people go absolutely NUTS. I've been told that some people call sick into work if they see a snow flake. They had people leave an hour into their shift because it called for snow and someone spotted a snow flake. I find it really humorous of course. It's weird that in Illinois that cars would be all over (and off) the road since they should be use to snow. I told my co-workers the average snowfall amounts in Wisconsin and you should see their eyes get wide. Haha.

I've been in NC when it snowed, and saw very few cars on the roads, and the ones that were, were slipping and sliding every which way. But considering folks in southern states usually don't see that much snowfall, it was par for the course. Can't expect everyone to know how to drive in the white stuff.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:07 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,037,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
I've been in NC when it snowed, and saw very few cars on the roads, and the ones that were, were slipping and sliding every which way. But considering folks in southern states usually don't see that much snowfall, it was par for the course. Can't expect everyone to know how to drive in the white stuff.
yep, no real chance for learning to drive in the white stuff when you see it only every couple years and it's a small amount. Thats no excuse for all the transplants who should know how to drive in it though....Our area of SC most years doesnt even get flurries but if an inch or two is coming they will close schools ahead of time, and stores are slammed for bread and water. Kind of funny, to a northerner. Of course our first full year there (after leaving 100+" in Madison), we got a freak 8" snowfall down there. One of the highest on record. It melted in a couple days, and snow on palm trees seems ironic lol.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
yep, no real chance for learning to drive in the white stuff when you see it only every couple years and it's a small amount. Thats no excuse for all the transplants who should know how to drive in it though....Our area of SC most years doesnt even get flurries but if an inch or two is coming they will close schools ahead of time, and stores are slammed for bread and water. Kind of funny, to a northerner. Of course our first full year there (after leaving 100+" in Madison), we got a freak 8" snowfall down there. One of the highest on record. It melted in a couple days, and snow on palm trees seems ironic lol.
Oh, well, wait for the first measurable snow here in Wisconsin around Milwaukee, some people you'd swear were transplants the way they'll be spinning out and sliding around like 5,000 pound hockey pucks with cars. For some it takes 2 or 3 snows to get the hang of it all over again.

My spouse and I were out west for awhile, her relatives own a pizza joint named Stone Creek down in winthrop harbor. They mailed her two pizzas for her b-day, in april, they were packed in a cooler bag with dry ice and overnighted but by the time we received them, they were soggy. Just goes to show how well shipping services do these days.

When I did expedited cargo as a owner/operator, I picked up at johnson wax, a pallet of insect repellent going to walmart in pueblo colorado, the big west nile scare you know. It took me 18 hours to drive straight through from racine wisconsin to pueblo. That run paid me about $850.00, but of course it was my own van and my expenses, fuel, etc.. I only stopped for fuel, coffee and bathroom use. When some of these shipping services claim overnight, it almost makes me laugh because it's more like 2 day service.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:32 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,310,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quert View Post

Well notice he said Southern Illinois, where snow is a lot less common. With Illinois' center of gravity focused in the Chicago area, it's easy to lose sight of the fact that Illinois extends almost as far south as the VA/NC line.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
I am not minding the temps in Madison right now (we're up for our the birth of our grandchild), thankfully with all the rain the temps were hi enough-- not much lower and we'd have a decent snowfall to deal with. But seeing the cold due in next week, i'll be happy to get back to SC winter after Christmas lol
You should get the snowblower operational, the weather clownies in Chicago are saying Madison is going to get 10-15 inches of snow beginning tonite.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:23 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,310,613 times
WTF is a "weather clownie?"

Old 12-18-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
WTF is a "weather clownie?"

Old 12-19-2012, 07:42 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,037,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
You should get the snowblower operational, the weather clownies in Chicago are saying Madison is going to get 10-15 inches of snow beginning tonite.
yeah our son in law is ready to go; last word i saw was blizzard warnings and up to 17" by tomorrow/tomorrow nite. No biggie, staying in the house with our new grandson isnt a bad thing. I can sit and tell him how nice 60 degree Decembers are down south lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin