Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 07:01 PM

48 posts, read 122,369 times

Advertisements

My wife's family has been in Tomahawk for many generations and we visit there every summer plus having plans to build on a beautiful piece of property near there. If you want to find out what is going on there just link to their newspaper, the Tomahawk Leader and see what they consider crime, drugs or otherwise. As a third generation Californian, I LOL when I see the things that occupy law enforcement's time...And, still, life can be stupid crazy at moments wherever you go. It's just that when I watch the great youth water skiing program perform on the Wisconsin River and meet my wife's nephews I get the distinct feeling that they spend more time doing things that I did in the 50's and early sixties than what kids in the urban areas of today deem "entertainment."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 01:32 AM

3 posts, read 6,901 times
I currently live in Merrill and have for the past 18 years, it is true that we are the meth capital in the world, (or was) and I do not think this is a good place for children to grow, the school systems are very disorganized, and they leave many children behind even though they have a 'no child left behind' policy. However, this is true to all places you go. There are some parts of Merrill that are actually kinda nice, very close-knit commutnity with only 10,000 people. Many police at a constant patrol, way more than I had EVER seen in wausau. My advice to any and everyone, if you are thinking of moving to merrill, you should definately consider Wausau (a neighboring city more populated, 20 miles away from merrill) or another neighboring city.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berries View Post
Either way I can tell you that right now you must do this

SETTLE DOWN!!!!!

First of all there is no meth capital in Wisconsin.
Second you will love it and will probably never ever see or deal with anyone on meth, it is an overblown concern I have read on everystate posting board on this site, and they are all the meth capitols.
Third, bring you long underwear, that will be more of an issue to you than meth or crack or pot or even beer!!!!!! And yes we do like our beer.

I hope this reduces your concrerns...

anymore questions let me know as I actually live up here

Good luck and Cheers

WOW.. have you even been to merrill? how about you let someone who lives there answer questions like that... because um a LOT of people here actually do smoke meth ( yeah, a lot have already been busted ) but don't go and tell people that there is no meth capital, it's called abc we were too listed as the meth capital of wisconsin. maybe u r the one who should do the research. As for pot? there are constant raids in Merrill on houses loaded with pounds. Do your reasearch.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketrocks View Post
re: [URL="//www.city-data.com/forum/members/tylerdrumr-307435.html"]tylerdrumr[/URL]

umm, take what you read here with a grain of salt.

meth capitol of the nation? hardly. google it and see how often lincoln county/merrill/tomahawk/etc. are mentioned. missouri led the nation with meth lab busts for 2007...

here's a current link to the dea site that ranks wis. 45th in the nation for violent crime and lists 4 federal meth lab "incidents" for all of 2007. DEA Briefs & Background, Drugs and Drug Abuse, State Factsheets, Wisconsin (http://www.usdoj.gov/dea/pubs/states/wisconsin.html - broken link)

as for the implication that 1/2 of the merrill police force was fired by the fbi (love that one) and that they were obviously spreading their meth wares all over the area...well...i'd ask for some documentation on that...

tylerdrumr, can you point to any references that back up your allegation? i've lived in the area for decades and haven't heard anything - ever - about this area being the meth capitol of the nation nor of small town police forces being fired wholesale for being druggies...

long story short: this area is a great place to live. problems? yep - just like the rest of the world. however, it's pretty important to put things into context - tomahawk, for instance, has had 2 homicides spanning 2007-2008. one was solved in less than a week (perp. knew the victim) and the second also seems to point to someone known to the victim. both tragic and completely unnecessary but compared to a more urban area where you can have 2 homicides a day/week/month, the citizens are not all living in fear of "being next".

as for drugs, tomahawk police recently ran a lockdown on the school complex and they netted, like, 11grams of pot, some prescription pills, some pipes and about 10 "criminals". no pounds of meth, no machine guns...

it's a pretty safe place to live and raise kids.

you are extremely retarded. seriously. yeah there are hardly any murders in merrill but at least one hs student dies a year from suicide, drunk driving, accidents, ect. And if you go out into the country you SEE burned down barns that were used for meth labs. I was once walking in the woods with one of my buddies and we came across one, pretty much in his back yard. DONT GIVE PEOPLE ADVICE IF YOU DON'T KNOW **** ABOUT IT. YES i agree some parts are nice, but if you have troubled kids, merrill wisconsin is not a good place to bring them. Maybe you should get your asz off the computer once in a while and visit merrill then you will see what i am talking about i have lived here for 18 almost 19 years now, and i have seen enough to be moving away in 6 weeks. drug busts once every 6 months? you must be a crackhead. Just last month there were 4. not very big, no, but big enough where everyone got to sit a nice amount of time in jail. no, half of the cops did not get fired, they got promoted to detectives due to the burglarys, break-ins, and watnot. How about get your nose out of the computer and look around you for once.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:25 AM

68 posts, read 213,711 times
Well I have to say that I originally posted this over two years ago and have been living here in Merrill since. And yes there are drugs here, the same as any where but with that being said Merrill is definitly a lot more quite and a lot better place to raise a family then many places I have seen. I moved here from Catonsville Maryland and let me tell you a drug bust every 6 months, heck even every month is nothing compared to what is going on out there.I moved here from a nice neighborhood in Maryland and crime and drugs are way more out of control then they are in Merrill. The population is a lot greater there so that has a good deal to to with it as well, but none the less Merrill is definitly a lot safer place to live. As far as the school system goes, once again Merrill has a very good system. It is having it's fair share of problems but most school systems are in this current economy. But all in all the quality of education and the tools at the childrens disposal is far better then what they had access to back in Maryland. Every place has their pros and cons and it comes down to what works for you and what you do with it and troubled people will find trouble regardless of where they live weather that's crime or drugs. Some times it takes for a person to experience life elsewhere to appreciate what they have in their own back yard. As for my family and I we can really appreciate what Merrill has to offer.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:50 PM

335 posts, read 1,209,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCATONSVILLE View Post
Well I have to say that I originally posted this over two years ago and have been living here in Merrill since. And yes there are drugs here, the same as any where but with that being said Merrill is definitly a lot more quite and a lot better place to raise a family then many places I have seen. I moved here from Catonsville Maryland and let me tell you a drug bust every 6 months, heck even every month is nothing compared to what is going on out there.I moved here from a nice neighborhood in Maryland and crime and drugs are way more out of control then they are in Merrill. The population is a lot greater there so that has a good deal to to with it as well, but none the less Merrill is definitly a lot safer place to live. As far as the school system goes, once again Merrill has a very good system. It is having it's fair share of problems but most school systems are in this current economy. But all in all the quality of education and the tools at the childrens disposal is far better then what they had access to back in Maryland. Every place has their pros and cons and it comes down to what works for you and what you do with it and troubled people will find trouble regardless of where they live weather that's crime or drugs. Some times it takes for a person to experience life elsewhere to appreciate what they have in their own back yard. As for my family and I we can really appreciate what Merrill has to offer.
Hi JDCAT. I am glad you like it here. See what I told you.. No meth capital compared to most places. Sure there are probs but in relationship to any other places they really are small potatoes!!!! Glad your enjoying it here. This winter has been relatively warm and I am greatful for that!!!!

Take care.. I guess some of the posters have never lived in or near a big city. they do not know how good they have it!!!

Old 07-24-2010, 11:45 AM

2 posts, read 4,189 times
I am no expert, but I can tell of my experience in Wisconsin, New Berlin is a very bad place to rent if you do not like drugs, meth, crack and or cooking of such I have experienced with no help from local authorities, further, I have this on word of mouth as well. I cannot speak for Lincoln, but after talking with folks about drugs, it is a problem nearly everywhere. If you can live in a home that is not attached to another, you should be fine. Whatever you do, please do not rent, I think that is where you will primarily find this problem and if you can live where your neighbor is a good distance away, the better! I wish you and your family all the best and I am praying for all those good people in the world living drug free! You are what we need more of in the world!!! Thank YOU!!!

Old 07-24-2010, 11:53 AM

2 posts, read 4,189 times
The folks that smoke/produce and profit from meth/crack and such are of course going to deny such activities. Further, there is far too much money to be made and that is why drugs are a multi billion dollar a year business, I guess thats why law enforcement looks the other way while vacationing in their second and third homes.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCATONSVILLE View Post
I have recently been told that Lincoln County is the meth central for Wisconsin and that drugs in general seem to run rampant there. I was wondering if anyone could shed more light on this? I will be moving there soon with my wife and kids from Maryland and I would be interested in what my be instore for us when we do. Thanks for any information you could give.
Hi , I grew up in Merrill and back then it was a nice small quite town to raise your children in . My children are 26 , 25 , & 22 now . I moved them out of Merrill about 14 years ago but their father remained there . The 2 oldest ones moved back there by their father about 10 years ago .and it has been down hill ever since . There is a major drug problem in the whole county . Myth being the main drug of choice . A few years ago the Feds came in busted alot of myth labs trying to get the drug use to go down but that did not work . I would just be caucious if you move there . This is one of the worst counties in the state for myth . I visit there about once a month due to the fact that my parents still live there and my children and 3 grandbabies . I am hoping to get my duahgter to move away from before my grandkids get into the school system there . Grandschool not so much but the middle school and high schools are full of drugs . Sorry for the bad news . Just thought I would be honest .

Old 03-14-2014, 03:25 AM

1 posts, read 1,249 times
Default Your instincts are correct

There are a lot of drugs in Merrill. Move to marathon, or it has a blue ribbon school. In Merrill, teachers are getting busted for dealing drugs to the students. My daughter is ruined from the drugs. She dropped out of college to move back to Merrill to be with her boyfriend. Got on drugs and she threatened to burn down our house while we were sleeping. We open enrolled our son in a different school district. Every year the land taxes in Merrill have gone up 10 percent. Protect your family from these drugs. I can speak first hand on what this trashy city will do. The drugs are there. And the people we trust the most with our children are the ones dealing them. Research it on waow news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin