Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 01:45 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,112,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoNE View Post
After this morning, I also want to know why there are no sidewalk plows in Appleton? I've never heard of homeowners having to shovel their own sidewalks until we moved out here. It's crazy that those high property taxes don't cover plowing the sidewalks.

Anybody here know why there are no sidewalk plows?
Are you kidding? Where in the world do you find people having the city plow their sidewalks. Of all the places I have lived I have never heard of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 01:55 PM

323 posts, read 1,969,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Are you kidding? Where in the world do you find people having the city plow their sidewalks. Of all the places I have lived I have never heard of that.
Agreed - never heard of that one. We were just thrilled that the governments of interest - be they city, county, state or what have you - have done such a good job clearing the roads. A snow like we had yesterday would completely cripple Tacoma or Seattle for a week - sheets of ice for most of the roads and berms down the middle of the streets that they did manage to plow.

Old 12-02-2007, 01:58 PM

387 posts, read 1,332,201 times
We came from New Hampshire and we paid a lot more in taxes and had to shovel our own sidewalks and I emailed friends in Portland ME and they said the same thing. They pay high taxes and it is also their responsibility to shovel their own walks within 24 hours of a snow fall. There are some small towns that do have plows for their downtown businesses.
Doesn't bother us. When we lived in upstate NY we had tons of snow and we had to take care of it ourselves. Bought a snowblower and it was not a problem.

Old 12-02-2007, 02:31 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,877,896 times
The areas of Maine that I always lived in had sidewalk plows. It never occured to us that everyone in the snow belt didn't have them. Live and learn.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:03 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,867,372 times
Quote:
After this morning, I also want to know why there are no sidewalk plows in Appleton? I've never heard of homeowners having to shovel their own sidewalks until we moved out here. It's crazy that those high property taxes don't cover plowing the sidewalks.

Anybody here know why there are no sidewalk plows?
where are you from??? i've never heard of anywhere having the city plow sidewalks lol. i could only imagine what kind of manpower that would take.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
where are you from??? i've never heard of anywhere having the city plow sidewalks lol. i could only imagine what kind of manpower that would take.

Maine, one of the poorest States in the country. Hmm, perhaps this is one of the contributing factors...sidewalk plows! There are a couple of different types, one that has an actual plow on the front and the other is more like a really large snow blower tractor but heavy duty enough to handle plowed snow.

Seriously, I thought every State in the snow belt had them. This has come as a complete surprise that no one outside of Maine has ever even heard of them.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:30 AM

396 posts, read 1,699,193 times
When I lived in Ohio they would plow the sidewalks that kids needed to walk on to get to school.

Old 12-04-2007, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower53072 View Post
When I lived in Ohio they would plow the sidewalks that kids needed to walk on to get to school.
Well there, I knew Maine couldn't be the only place!

Old 12-08-2007, 08:03 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
The areas of Maine that I always lived in had sidewalk plows. It never occured to us that everyone in the snow belt didn't have them. Live and learn.
I wonder if it was a neighborhood association that was responsible for sidewalk plowing and not municipal government. I too have never heard of a government plowing sidewalks.

Old 12-08-2007, 08:05 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trabbz View Post
It would be beneficial to Wisconsin's economy if they promoted tourism a lot more for outdoorsy people. I currently live in Florida and it always amazes me how beautiful people say Wisconsin is that don't live there, yet not so many people from here have actually been there. Its almost America's best kept secret in my eyes. From the rolling hills and bluffs in the west to the lakes and the great lakes and the never ending forests. On the other hand, I think a lot of people like it just the way it is - uncrowded by crazy tourists.
They do a lot of tourism promotion in neighboring states. They probably figure a nationwide campaign doesn't make sense from a cost/benefit standpoint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin