Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 03:53 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,410,903 times

Advertisements

I thought I'd ask.

I have my old friends from middle school. Kids that I would have graduated with, had I stayed there. But we're not super close anymore. I have them on Facebook but I haven't hung out with them on a regular basis in years.

And plus.... I want a fresh start. I don't want my relationships to be *all* people that I already know, and a bunch of old memories (some not so good) associated with all my relationships. The last thing I want is for half of all my conversations with people to be like, "Hey, remember when...?"

How does one go about getting involved in the community? This is the first time I've ever been interested in being pro-active about it.

I'm single, no children. Not a big drinker. Definitely not a partier. It's not my nature. I had my period where I tried to fit in and pretend that was me.... but it's clearly not. haha

Any suggestions for someone in their late '20s/early '30s?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 06:47 PM

647 posts, read 1,664,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesconsinite View Post
I thought I'd ask.

I have my old friends from middle school. Kids that I would have graduated with, had I stayed there. But we're not super close anymore. I have them on Facebook but I haven't hung out with them on a regular basis in years.

And plus.... I want a fresh start. I don't want my relationships to be *all* people that I already know, and a bunch of old memories (some not so good) associated with all my relationships. The last thing I want is for half of all my conversations with people to be like, "Hey, remember when...?"

How does one go about getting involved in the community? This is the first time I've ever been interested in being pro-active about it.

I'm single, no children. Not a big drinker. Definitely not a partier. It's not my nature. I had my period where I tried to fit in and pretend that was me.... but it's clearly not. haha

Any suggestions for someone in their late '20s/early '30s?
You could possibly find friends through volunteering. Maybe like Habitat for humanity. You could also join clubs in your area like the Elks, Rotary, Jaycees, etc.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:00 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,527,219 times
Volunteering and Jaycee's be good. Get to know neighbors and start from there. Have a small cook out with neighbors and soon be getting invited to others and meeting more new people. Remember it is small town Wisconsin in area and not as hard to make friends than would be in big city.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:02 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Win the lottery. You'll have more friends than you'll know what to do with in no time. Including possibly me.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:13 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,693,605 times
What did you do when you moved to a different state? Try the same methods when you move back to WI. Chances are, there will be different people intermingled with the ones you already know. Places change when you leave, so I'd consider it a fresh start anyway. It might also take some time to reconnect with the people you already know, and in the meantime take a look at what there is locally that you can contribute to. It's best to do something that'll keep you occupied instead of saying "hey, remember when..." :P

Old 04-22-2010, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Win the lottery. You'll have more friends than you'll know what to do with in no time. Including possibly me.
Ha!

Old 04-22-2010, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
What did you do when you moved to a different state? Try the same methods when you move back to WI. Chances are, there will be different people intermingled with the ones you already know. Places change when you leave, so I'd consider it a fresh start anyway. It might also take some time to reconnect with the people you already know, and in the meantime take a look at what there is locally that you can contribute to. It's best to do something that'll keep you occupied instead of saying "hey, remember when..." :P
You're completely right. Places change. It is definitely not the same place it was in 1999/2000.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankejp View Post
You could possibly find friends through volunteering. Maybe like Habitat for humanity. You could also join clubs in your area like the Elks, Rotary, Jaycees, etc.
Elks, etc.. aren't those clubs for old men?
Volunteering is a great idea. I had in mind the animal shelter. But I'm not sure I'd be able to handle it when they get euthanized.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:04 AM

647 posts, read 1,664,040 times
hahaha, I was wondering the same thing when I typed that. I know there is a age requirement for the Jaycees. I think 35 is the cutoff age. So if you join there, there would be a younger crowd.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:41 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,557,855 times
Check out Meetup.com.
You can check your city and see if there are any groups that meet-up and join one (or more). I'm not sure how active the Meet-up groups are in other cities, but where I live there are groups that meet for dinner once a month, book clubs, movie watching, pub crawls, supper clubs, hiking, biking, singles, couples, boating, politicial, etc. You can even start your own group based on your interests. I have many people this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin