Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 06:02 AM

2,271 posts, read 2,651,465 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine is a meeting planner and has been offered a free trip to some water park (indoor and out) resort in Wisconsin Dells. They want to show off the place to him in hopes that he'll throw some business their way. Neither of us have ever been to the Dells.

I can't remember the name of the specific resort, or hotel, that we'll be staying at, but I'll call him later today, ask him, then post it here for more specific recommendations.

We'll be there from Friday, September 19th until Sunday, September 21st. (Can only imagine what the weather will be like since it's so cool now!)

I'm expecting a full-blown tourist attraction, complete with tourist traps. It's a given. But, only the locals will know the best places to eat and the Must See attractions or sites to visit. We'll probably only have time for one place to visit, though. However, we're both restaurant people and love good food and service.

The only other info I can offer is that he doesn't like fish/seafood and I don't want a steak place. (I'm not a vegetarian, I just don't like a lot of meat in one sitting.) Oh, and we're both non-drinkers, but if your recommendation is a pub because the food is incredible, that's perfectly fine! (Monks Bar and Grill?)

Some interesting sounding places with decent reviews online were:
  1. MACS - Macaroni and Cheese Shop. (I understand this is take out. Great for a quick lunch when we get there around 1pm?)
  2. Moosejaw Pizza - The place just sounded interesting. Or is Chi-Town better? Really only interested in pizza if it's absolutely top notch. (Can always get pizza at home, right?)
  3. Taste of New Orleans - ???
  4. High Rock Cafe - ??? Not quite sure what this place really is, but...
  5. Alamo Smokehouse - Who doesn't love smoked food?

Or do you have a local favorite?

EDITED TO ADD: Thunder Valley Inn sounds like a great place. Thoughts?

Last edited by plain and simple; 09-06-2014 at 06:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 07:27 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,024,066 times
we've always enjoyed Moosejaw; good food and like the atmosphere.

As for something to do, at least your visit is past summer so the # of tourists will be down making it easier to get into and enjoy the sights/stops. While your visit in Sept is going to be early for peak fall colors, with the cool temps coming there may be some decent foliage change where one of the boat (or 'duck') trips may give some nice scenery if you're into outdoor viewing/photo opps. Of course if the outdoors is your thing, a 20 min drive down to Devils Lake State Park gives some wonderful hiking trails and plenty of good views as well.

Just a couple suggestions, thinking outside the box as fall here can be such a nice time to be outdoors.

Old 09-06-2014, 12:16 PM

Thanks ranger17. I was excited to be in the area for the fall foliage. Even just a little change in color would be nice.

I finally got a hold of my friend and got some information.

First, we'll be staying at Kalahari Resort. I was doing some research on the different resorts in the area and that was one place I was hoping we weren't going to. The hotel looks cheap, generic and boxy. And the style and decor of the indoor attractions looks so childish and geared for little kids. I was even more disappointed when he said that two resorts gave him the option to stay with them that weekend. The other one was Chula Vista Resort. That hotel looked luxurious and the indoor attractions looked fun without being so juvenile.

I'm the guest and I'm just grateful to get to go and have a free weekend! But, I have to admit, it's a bit of a let-down after comparing the two online.

Secondly, I won't be needing recommendations for area sites and attractions because, as it turns out, we won't have time for any.

But, any and all restaurant suggestions and warnings would be hugely appreciated! Thanks! I'm really curious about Thunder Valley Inn.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:08 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,532,210 times
Dells is pretty much all tourist traps, er, attractions. It's a beautiful area, and I agree on getting out of the town itself and enjoying all the nature stuff within a half hour. Devil's Lake/Baraboo Hills, Pewits Nest, Parfrey's Glen, free Merrimac ferry, Lodi/Gibraltar Rock/Lake Wisconsin, and so on. Sounds like you can't do that now, unfortunately! But just walk around downtown and check out the shops I guess. I've eaten at a number of places there, and nothing really stood out that I can remember...sorry. You should be able to keep busy at the hotel, though. Maybe do a Duck ride through the Dells?

Old 09-08-2014, 01:37 PM

Thanks cheese plate. Yeah, we'll be sticking around the hotel the whole time, which is okay since they have plenty to do.

From the lack of advice/recommendations/warnings about restaurants, I can only assume, like you said, the food is just average for the most part. Not terrific, not bad. If that's the case, we'll just go by what we feel like at the time. MAC sounds interesting enough to try though. And I want to go to Thunder Valley Inn and eat there. The description of their place and the food sounds like it's right up my alley.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:27 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,392,303 times
Kalahari is a blast. Great fun. Noah's Ark is great too, while it's still warm outside. Check out Mt. Olympus as well.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:04 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, since it's a business fam-trip (familiarization trip) for my friend to get to know the Kalahari Resort, all of our time will be spent on their property, with the exception of going out to eat. I saw on their website that four or five of their indoor rides will be closed while we're there. And the outdoor park is already closed for the season.

Old 09-12-2014, 11:01 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,613,376 times
I grew up not far from Wisconsin Dells and worked different roles at the Wilderness Resort and Chula Vista. I've stayed at all the resorts including Mt. Olympus (yuck).

Chula Vista is definitely more adult oriented at the setting is absolutely beautiful with the river running right behind it. They have a nice path behind the resort that overlooks the Wisconsin River. Things are spread out at Chula Vista and the fact that it's out of town will always make it my favorite.

Before I left Wilderness for Chula Vista I was working at the Wilderness on the Lake which is separated from Wilderness Resort. It's still part of the resort, it's just quieter and away from the main attraction. It overlooked Lake Delton and was condos only.

Mt. Olympus is great if you have kids and don't care that it looks cheap. I stayed there once, never again...

Great Wolf aka Black Wolf was an ok place. You can tell it's just a hotel with a waterpark though.

Kalahari isn't anything special, it to feels like a hotel with a waterpark more than it does an actual resort.

I recommend High Rock, it's got a little twist to it and it's tasty. Moosejaw is also very good! Don't fall for Sarento's, it's just "Ok."

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Josh

Old 09-24-2014, 10:35 AM

108 posts, read 150,664 times
I have had 2 experiences with Mt. Olympus and they were opposite ends of the spectrum. My visit in the summer on a weekend was absolutely horrid with elbow room only in the wave pool and a 2 hour wait for any ride. In the winter time we stayed in Hotel Rome for less than $100 and there was minimal wait time for any of the slides.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:04 PM

522 posts, read 721,943 times
I've been to Dells around 8 times, and at this point I am bored to tears with it... and have been since time #2.
Granted, this may be due to the fact that we were unable to find a single resort that actually has pools with decent depth or isn't filled with Chicago Southside folk..

Wizard Quest is one thing that is always fun (especially to observe).

And - oh god - one mention of Mt. Olympus has me crawling (only other place that was worse in my experience was the Pink Flamingo)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin