Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 09:06 PM

17 posts, read 35,322 times

Advertisements

So we're moving to Wisconsin next year and I was wondering if anybody has pros and cons on a few locations. Kewaunee , Marinetta, Sawyer, Price, Ashland , Bayfield ,Oneida..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 09:57 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,948,898 times
We are looking to relocate to Two Rivers/Manitowoc in a couple of years. Can't find anything I don't like in that area. Kewaunee is close. Its right on Lake Michigan, which is a big plus. The lake means that winters will not be quite as cold as other cities at that latitude in winter, and also less hot in the summer. Crime seems low and property values very affordable. Yet, you are close to shopping in the GB and Appleton area, and things to do in Milw. and southeast Wis.

Old 09-27-2014, 10:59 PM

I looked at houses on Trulia in the Two Rivers area as well. Lots of affordable houses there. The whole state is amazing.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:19 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,544,030 times
Would need much more info to help - job, expectations via town and surrounding nature, any climate preferences, and so on.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:06 PM

My husband will be looking for work in the resturant industry. He's a Chef and a Baker. I'm a stay at home mom usually involved in community and church events. We enjoy hiking,camping,love the water. We're coming from a very small town population about 2500 but really about 1500 year round residents. Everyone knows everyone and their business (lol)... I would like a small town or a town with that small town feel.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:19 PM

I should add my husband is retired military (21 years in). So we're looking for a place to grow old in. Done moving around.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:51 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,544,030 times
OK. How about weather? Bayfield is the biggest tourist spot on your list, which may fit in with his cooking experience...Ashland is the biggest town. Does Oneida refer to the Oneida Indian Reservation outside Green Bay?

Old 10-01-2014, 09:58 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,926,650 times
It's easy to get priced out of Bayfield. At least, it has in the past--I don't imagine it has changed too much. The Chequamegon Bay is a little foodie-ish, so there is that. I know a lot of people live in Washburn and commute to Ashland or Bayfield. Ashland looks a little run down, although they have been trying hard to work on their curb appeal. They have both a community college and a private college. The latter brings in a lot of speakers, workshops, authors, etc. throughout the year. The co-op just opened a huge new store. And Ashland Baking Company is tops.

Year-round Bayfield residents tend to be tightknit, but there is some friction between year-rounds and the (perceived and actual) rich summer residents. Just the normal for a small, isolated "summer home" location, but thought I should mention it. I do love Bayfield. *sigh* Apple Orchards, a quaint and fun downtown that leads to the harbor front. The islands. Apple Fest. We use to go to Apple Fest before it became a huge thing. Such good childhood memories.

Washburn is smaller than Ashland, bigger than Bayfield; doesn't have the industrial-based past like Ashland, but not quite so touristy as Bayfield. Some good beaches.

I really like the neighborhoods between Ellis and 9th Ave., 6th Street and the college (Ashland does have the annoying street numbering system, as in they relay heavily on numbered names, but using both Avenue and Street, so you have to double check whether you are suppose to go to 9th AVE or 9th ST.). A lot of beautiful Victorians. Be very careful of the heating systems, though, before you buy. If you are moving from a cold-weather area, you already know this of course, but it does get cold.

Major shopping is done in Duluth, about an hour or so away.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:20 AM

I was referring to the county of Oneida. My husband loves all weather. I prefer it about 20-40. We have had winters in Alaska and Maine and summers in the high desert. Our town small and isolated too. That is until the weekend when the tourist come in. We all use the back roads to get around town. But it is what keeps our town going.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:43 AM

Have any of you lived in Rhinelander? I see lots of rentals there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin