Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 04:21 PM

14 posts, read 26,895 times

Advertisements

Long story short, a job opportunity may present itself for the better half and it is located in the Janesville area.

Just over 5 years ago we moved to Phoenix from the western suburbs of Chicago. We were and are extremely glad to be away from Chicago. That being said, Phoenix is not the end all, be all for either one of us. It was a great opportunity at the time; good job, good benefits, etc. However, we have always known that we would eventually move.

I have long wanted to return to northern Wisconsin, she would like to move to central Oregon or possibly Missoula. Growing up, my mom had a camper on Lake Koshkonong, at the mouth of the Rock River. I am some what still familiar with the Janesville, Newville, Edgerton area, however I have not been back there in 20 years.

This possible job would be a 30% pay increase for her, on the low side. I could be as much as 50% with bonuses. However, our total income would drop by 27% as I would not have a job. So my questions are; how is the job market and what types of jobs are available, how is house costs and what is the overall general atmosphere at this time?

Doing a little research, the general cost of living is basically a wash with Phoenix. Housing in the Janesville area seems to be roughly 15% less. Yet, utilities are roughly 13% more (we have never turned our heat on since moving here, even in Winter), health care is 5% more and groceries are 4% more.

While I still enjoy the agricultural surroundings and the farmland, she prefers mountains. If the job happens and we move, it would be strictly for the money. We both love the northern part of the state and with Milwaukee an hour and a half away, there is always the big city option for entertainment.

What are the thoughts of those in the area?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 04:54 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Janesville is kinda meh. If I had a job in Jville I'd be looking pretty hard at Stoughton or maybe Whitewater. I'd definitely prefer Stoughton for its proximity to Madison, which IMO would be a suitable substitute much of the time for schlepping all the way to Milwaukee for city amenities.

Old 11-05-2014, 05:58 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,391,230 times
Janesville's job situation still isn't rosy since the GM plant closed a few years ago, though the local economy has come back to a degree. Jobs aren't plentiful other than trucking and service type jobs (restaurants, retail, etc). It's a decent city though that offers some things to do, and is close enough to Madison that you can go there for further options.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:05 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,526,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Janesville is kinda meh. If I had a job in Jville I'd be looking pretty hard at Stoughton or maybe Whitewater. I'd definitely prefer Stoughton for its proximity to Madison, which IMO would be a suitable substitute much of the time for schlepping all the way to Milwaukee for city amenities.
Agreed, I'd go a bit north or east or northeast. Janesville is northern IL in just about every sense.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:29 PM

Oh, and another reason to choose Stoughton... gives you access to the Madison job market, which is considerably more robust than Janesville's. Wages may not be great in Madison relative to the COL in Dane County, but a middling wage is better than no wage.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:57 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,442,866 times
Janesville is the Flint, MI and Rockford, IL of Wisconsin. That's not good, in case you didn't get it.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:08 PM

Oh shut it. Janesville has nowhere near the systemic problems of Rockford, much less Flint.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Oh shut it. Janesville has nowhere near the systemic problems of Rockford, much less Flint.
Agreed. Gross and irresponsible exaggeration there.

As of August 2014, unemployment rates (via Google):

Janesville, WI: 6.4%
Rockford, IL: 11.3%
Flint, MI: 12.4%

Not even a close or remotely valid comparison.

By the way, how unfortunate for Flint that this is the first image you see when you Google their city:

Old 11-10-2014, 08:41 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,047,333 times
Good points so far. I would add that there are communities within driving distance to Janesville that also put you within commuting distance to the Madison metro and western burbs of Milwaukee metro as well. We moved from Jefferson County in Johnson Creek and that has 30 minute access to all three areas.

With respect to the 6.4% unemployment number for Janesville, take it with a grain of salt. We have passed the mark for many of the former GM workers to be counted in unemployment statistics. There are also many that are under-employed in much lower paying positions than they held in the GM plant. That 6.4% may be a little bit optimistic when put into perspective.

Madison to Milwaukee corridor offers better options seeking any type of professional employment. It just depends on the willingness to commute.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynldsbr View Post

With respect to the 6.4% unemployment number for Janesville, take it with a grain of salt. We have passed the mark for many of the former GM workers to be counted in unemployment statistics. There are also many that are under-employed in much lower paying positions than they held in the GM plant. That 6.4% may be a little bit optimistic when put into perspective.

Madison to Milwaukee corridor offers better options seeking any type of professional employment. It just depends on the willingness to commute.
Very good points, though you could say the same thing about underemployment regarding many areas of the country.

I agree Janesville isn't the best area in the state regarding professional employment and development. Like I said elsewhere, the only employment growth areas in Janesville right now seem to be in trucking and the service industries (fast food, retail, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin