Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 05:51 PM

2 posts, read 9,980 times

Advertisements

There is a family who has 7 kids from Nigeria living in Boscobel, Wisconsin. Richland Center and
Muscoda are nice places too. Mostly white people here dying for some culture and variety. :0)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 08:13 PM

1 posts, read 5,071 times
Default Wisconsin Small Towns are Not Racially Tolerant

Greetings,

Madison is a great. It is very racially tolerant, however small towns in southwestern wisconsin, up to and including the La Crosse Area are not. I know this how... I was married to a Latin and lived in Central America for 17 years. My children have not had a very easy time in this area. They are too polite, too respectful.. kids make fun of them at school. You look around the schools and it is easy to pick out the child that does not have blond or light brown hair. Unfortunately, many people who have answered on this site do not understand that racial tolerance also means cultural tolerance. If you are an adopted asian or black child you have different colored skin however your parents raised you as if you are "white"... you know no cultural difference.. Hey you can be an asian "redneck" as well as a white "redneck". Part of the difference in race is culture. Why do the black kids in Boscobel fit in... adopted... do not remember their culture.. I know I live in Boscobel. But hey I have a good job and am educated so I am thought of as weird in Boscobel.

Old 12-22-2007, 06:57 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,377,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huggybear28 View Post
Interesting point... Although I have been advocating that the NFL institute an affirmative action program to help "disadvantaged" white football players make it into the NFL. With such a disproportionate number of blacks in the NFL compared to the general population I only think it is fair that they encourage the recruiting of more white players. I just want to point out this is sarcasm, lol.
Haha, ha...
The NFL is one place where affirmative action is not needed. It is a lavel playing field where blacks, whites, asians, indians, hispanics can all compete on equal footing without the traditional vices that whites used to prevent blacks from taking their proper place. So, unlike other areas of society, affirmative action is not needed here. The best prevail on a level playing field and here, most happen to be black. But don't give up hope. Plenty of white players as kickers, linemen, centers, and QBs.

Contrast this with other areas. Discrimination against blacks by whites in high places for centuries that have prevented blacks from getting the opportunity. Affirmative action is needed here to level the field, continue to provide the opportunity to exceptionally qualified blacks.

So your application of affirmative action for white players is quite laughable.

Old 12-22-2007, 08:53 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanInSF View Post
Haha, ha...
The NFL is one place where affirmative action is not needed. It is a lavel playing field where blacks, whites, asians, indians, hispanics can all compete on equal footing without the traditional vices that whites used to prevent blacks from taking their proper place. So, unlike other areas of society, affirmative action is not needed here. The best prevail on a level playing field and here, most happen to be black. But don't give up hope. Plenty of white players as kickers, linemen, centers, and QBs.

Contrast this with other areas. Discrimination against blacks by whites in high places for centuries that have prevented blacks from getting the opportunity. Affirmative action is needed here to level the field, continue to provide the opportunity to exceptionally qualified blacks.

So your application of affirmative action for white players is quite laughable.
Almost as laughable as you taking him seriously.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:33 AM

15 posts, read 56,423 times
Default no to this Wisconsin town

You are looking for a nice place to move with your children. Madison is a very nice place. Madison I think is very racially tolerant. With the college here there are people from all over living here. I would not move to a small town though, I live in Poynette and it wouldn't be racially tolerant, this town is barely tolerant of kids that were born and raised here unless your parents and grandparents were born and raised here or you have a child that is a super star at some sport. Small towns tend to be very "good ole boys" oriented and the school here cares more about MONEY and WINNING then it does the kids. Good luck to you.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:41 PM

137 posts, read 611,795 times
these race threads are stupid. Look at the demographics. If they are favorable to you, chances are they will fit your needs.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:47 PM

2 posts, read 9,980 times
Default Southwest Wisconsin

Hi, I live in Muscoda and my husband is originally from Merida, Mexico and he became a citizen two years ago. We have 5 kids and haven't had many problems. There are a handful of black kids in school here and a family from India and Germany. We all seem to get along. Bullies are everywhere and people will pick on whatever they think will bother their victim. So good luck with your search. I agree with the other posts that Madison has a good variety of race and culture.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:27 PM

395 posts, read 1,860,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aanatami View Post
Madison has a good variety of race and culture.
Madison is 85% white. Madison is not diverse. Madison does not have a good mix of race and culture. Madison might be more diverse then, say, Des Moines, but it's 85% white. Ask the 15% who aren't how they feel about Madison. You might get some interesting or surprising responses. Madison is not diverse.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:36 AM

1 posts, read 4,918 times
JennyOO
To say that anyone north of Madison is a 'bigot' is a very ignorant statement. I grew up in Green Bay and wholeheartedly refute your accusations. In a town that is 93% white it is hard to understand another race if you never get to hang out. By you leaving, you are going to make it that much harder for people to understand what you see as Racism. I want to personally remove Green Bay from your statement as i know first hand people there are racially tolerant. Dont make accusations that you cannot back up, AND with a PHD you would think that you might have done some research. Stevens point, where my father was born, has a racial breakdown like this: [LIST][*]White Non-Hispanic (91.6%)[*]Other Asian (3.5%)[*]Hispanic (1.6%)[*]Two or more races (1.2%)[*]American Indian (0.8%)[/LIST]Next time Jenny, do some research on your subject. Green Bay and Stevens point are racially tolerant, I have lived and spent YEARS in each.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:15 PM

14 posts, read 45,581 times
We are a mixed couple (Asian man/caucasian woman) with 2 kids ages 5 and 7. We have lived in Central Illinois (Bloomington), Oswego, IL and now Salem, WI. I have NEVER felt any racial tension from anyone in any of the cities we have lived in. My husband has been in the US since he was 7, so he speaks with no accent. He can talk to anyone (rednecks, farmers, people of different races, CEO's of companies, etc) and they all accept him for who he is and what he knows, not the color of his skin. He has been in 2 different lines of work. One was Class 3 gun sales, which put him into contact with lots of different types of people. He excelled at that but decided to go the more professional route and is now a manager at a large insurance company. That being said, he has never had an issue as an adult with anyone being racially baised. My kids have never had anyone say anything to them either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin