Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 12:48 PM

8 posts, read 10,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Can you please articulate what he has done well? I can't figure out a single thing.
From Illinois here. We are going to go the same direction in Illinois as it is only a matter of time before we elect a Scott Walker here because we can't keep kicking the can down the road and sending governors to jail.

My wife and I are moving to Wisconsin for a job change and are worried about the political climate there. But it does seem like your governor is doing much better than ours. We have poor job growth and our taxes have gone out of control. My parents here in Illinois pay more property tax than mortgage now!!! They won't be able to stay in their house when they retire.

We're looking for a breath of fresh political air in Wisconsin and even though we're politically neutral, it seems like what Scott Walker did was inevitable because Wisconsin was just behind Illinois in being in finaicla ruins. x
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 12:54 PM

26,788 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
Cuts to education
Cuts to workers rights and protections
Frac sand regulations that hinder environmental protections and local control
Very poor (near the bottom) in the Nation for job growth, despite of his "business friendly" initiatives and promises to create 250k jobs
His actions and attempting actions at controlling the DNR to reduce its independence and science based work (and laying off of scientists), and limiting its ability to protect the environment
Hurting the State's fiscal position with irresponsible cuts to corporate taxes (and more), yet it didn't result in benefits to any except the wealthy
Reduction in regulation covering mining (oh look, those mine owners donated!)
Employees working on his campaign, illegally, while on the clock (aka stealing)

That's just off the top of my head. I could do some research, and really come up with a list. But you know, I don't get paid for that for social media.
To your list I would add the recent repeal of prevailing wage law

and now - the 7 days work week.

Now THAT really got my attention.

What this is all about?
The rich are planning to run their own cozy little fiefdom in Wisconsin or what?

Old 07-15-2015, 12:56 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtab94 View Post
We're looking for a breath of fresh political air in Wisconsin and even though we're politically neutral, it seems like what Scott Walker did was inevitable because Wisconsin was just behind Illinois in being in finaicla ruins. x

But he's made the financial situation worse, not better.

Old 07-15-2015, 01:04 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,532,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
I get paid to do research. I don't do research for social media. Most Walker supporters are at work today which makes it easy to understand that all the liberal haters have time to hang out here talking crap about how the sky is falling. Go figure......
Isn't everyone posting here at work? That's what I've always assumed. I don't believe I've ever logged in here when I wasn't getting paid.

Further - answer the question.

Old 07-15-2015, 01:24 PM

8 posts, read 10,374 times
Quote:
But he's made the financial situation worse, not better.
Hm... I get that part but it's like has he made the financial situation less worse than it could have been if he didn't do it? That's kind of my read on it. Our bozos in Illinois refuse to do anything so they are making it MUCH worse instead of slowing the rate of decline. Like stalling in a plane. To get airspeed you have to lose some altitude. Except the clowns we have in Springfield just keep stalling AND sinking like the laws of physics don't apply to them.

Old 07-15-2015, 01:28 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,860,262 times
Thanks for list.

Cuts to education- How is that automatically bad?

Cuts to workers rights and protections - Where those rights and protections necessary? Prior to implementation where there abuses? Your assumption is status que was necessary.

Frac sand regulations that hinder environmental protections and local control - That's a good thing - energy development where ever and whenever is awesome. I like cheap electricity to run my computer, air conditioning etc. - you should too. Cheap energy makes my company competitive.

Very poor (near the bottom) in the Nation for job growth, despite of his "business friendly" initiatives and promises to create 250k jobs - Can't argue with you on that one although I think WI is challenged because of god awful weather for a good part of year. Further - fully 1/3 of state is actually poor-man's land and offers little for business development.

His actions and attempting actions at controlling the DNR to reduce its independence and science based work (and laying off of scientists), and limiting its ability to protect the environment. "Protecting the environment" is too broad a term. One person's protection is another person's intrusion on private property roghts. I lean toward stronger property rights ratherthan making it easier for Madison bureaucrats to run rough shod over folks.

Hurting the State's fiscal position with irresponsible cuts to corporate taxes (and more), yet it didn't result in benefits to any except the wealthy - Fiscal discipline by State gov't is a good thing. You use term's like irresponsible recklessly.

Reduction in regulation covering mining (oh look, those mine owners donated!) see above comment on environment.

Employees working on his campaign, illegally, while on the clock (aka stealing) Not a good thing if it happened. I doubt he personally knew it. (In bad old days, Dem Unionistas did it all the time. (Doesn't make it right though)

Old 07-15-2015, 01:40 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post

Cuts to education- How is that automatically bad?

How is it anything but? Most places prosper with better educated populations. Most people believe being well educated is a virtue. Indeed, corporations and start ups, the ones that create and provide high paying jobs, locate in areas with highly educated workforces.

Quote:
Cuts to workers rights and protections - Where those rights and protections necessary? Prior to implementation where there abuses? Your assumption is status que was necessary.
Yes, there were widespread abuses. Which is why the regulations were implemented in the first place. Please look at the history of workplace protections in the Nation and in Wisconsin.

Quote:
Frac sand regulations that hinder environmental protections and local control - That's a good thing - energy development where ever and whenever is awesome. I like cheap electricity to run my computer, air conditioning etc. - you should too. Cheap energy makes my company competitive.
Reducing local control is a good thing? I like having local control as we're closer to our politicians at the local level. I like corporations having to internalize the negative externalities of their processes in order to gain economic efficiency. Without that, then we the people and the government are subsidizing private companies at the expense of the people and the environment. Energy development where ever and whenever, no matter who or what it hurts, is a good thing? Lets put a nuclear reactor next to your house then.

Quote:
Very poor (near the bottom) in the Nation for job growth, despite of his "business friendly" initiatives and promises to create 250k jobs - Can't argue with you on that one although I think WI is challenged because of god awful weather for a good part of year.
Minnesota has a similar climate and is doing far better.

Quote:
His actions and attempting actions at controlling the DNR to reduce its independence and science based work (and laying off of scientists), and limiting its ability to protect the environment. "Protecting the environment" is too broad a term. One person's protection is another person's intrusion on private property roghts. I lean toward stronger property rights ratherthan making it easier for Madison bureaucrats to run rough shod over folks.
It isn't too broad a term. It is having scientists use science as a basis for regulation of the environment (along with a truly independent board), instead of the Governor who couldn't even finish college and I'm sure has quite a bit less knowledge on scientific and environmental issues manage the regulatory environment.

Quote:
Hurting the State's fiscal position with irresponsible cuts to corporate taxes (and more), yet it didn't result in benefits to any except the wealthy - Fiscal discipline by State gov't is a good thing. You use term's like irresponsible recklessly.
Fiscal discipline is a good thing. He has not been engaging in fiscal discipline. He's hurt the economic outlook of the state, without gaining anything of benefit to the State. He has engaged in cuts to promote the fiscal interests to private donors, while hurting the economic outlook of the state. That is both irresponsible and reckless.

Quote:
Employees working on his campaign, illegally, while on the clock (aka stealing) Not a good thing if it happened. I doubt he personally knew it. (In bad old days, Dem Unionistas did it all the time. (Doesn't make it right though)

I don't doubt it, but even if he didn't, the buck stops with him.

Now the people can give a case for what he has done well to help the people, the environment, and the fiscal outlook of the State. We've yet to receive that.

Old 07-15-2015, 04:52 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,860,262 times
Quote:
Now the people can give a case for what he has done well to help the people, the environment, and the fiscal outlook of the State. We've yet to receive that.
Yes - see 80% of your list

Old 07-15-2015, 08:08 PM

4,512 posts, read 5,055,664 times
When I drove through Wisconsin from the IL. border to the UP of Michigan border when Walker was running for office, the ONLY area we saw any of the opponents signs were in the Milwaukee area, once you got North of there, it was all Walker! And I'm sure over in Madison (Communist USA) they were also anti Walker signs. In a few years you folks in Wis. will start to feel the good that he has done. We poor bastards here in IL. are still living under the stupidity of the Democrat party.

Old 07-15-2015, 10:29 PM

26,788 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtab94 View Post
From Illinois here. We are going to go the same direction in Illinois as it is only a matter of time before we elect a Scott Walker here because we can't keep kicking the can down the road and sending governors to jail.

My wife and I are moving to Wisconsin for a job change and are worried about the political climate there. But it does seem like your governor is doing much better than ours. We have poor job growth and our taxes have gone out of control. My parents here in Illinois pay more property tax than mortgage now!!! They won't be able to stay in their house when they retire.

May I please ask people from Illinois abstain from statements like "we need Scott Walker, we need to do the same as Scott Walker, we need to follow path of Scott Walker and we'll be doing as great as Wisconsin."
Number one - Wisconsin is not "doing great" under Walker; far away from it.
And number two - Illinois is not Wisconsin. Every state has its own specifics - the industries that make local economy tick and demographics to begin with. So what works for one state won't necessarily work for another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin