Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 05:40 PM

27 posts, read 30,575 times

Advertisements

Hiya.... so we are a family of 6, husband and I are late 20s. He is currently getting his cdl, i am a homemaker, we have 4 wee ones, 2 boys 9&3 and 2 girls 5&1. We are a very outdoor type of family no matter the weather really. We also are a sports family football all day.... i personally am a proud packers fan my hubby is a vikings fan. I have convinced my hubby to move that way from idaho. We are currently in a small small town 15,000 small, i want about 2, maybe 3 times the size. Has to have a walmart... we are already accustomed to snow and cold, maybe not same snow levels but ehh snow is snow. Pretty much I have been looking into mainly wausau do to being the middle point betwwen GB and MN(team wise to make travel fair) so i would like opinions on wausau and is there any other that offer this
1. Family friendly/oriented (Mostly neighborhoods with kids of all ages, safe to ride a bike in the front of the house)
2. Fun for all ages all year(winter carnivals, fair, hiking, camping, swimming, just outside)
3. Husband needs football fanatics to conversate with....
4. A walmart or equivalent.
5. Cdl driver job where he can at least be home on weekends.
6. Bigger then 30,000 people
We own a house here so we will just sell and buy over there but with that being said what are your average bills, here i pay trash $60 for 3mths, we are on a well so no water bill, and its all central heating and cooling average is $180 a month, so not sure what else would be required over there, again any info or maybe other places to look would be great. We are hoping to move mid april. Any info would be very much appreciated. Thank you for your time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 05:54 PM

I should add i want trees, lots and lots of trees everywhere. Green grass, and somewhere that has more or less actual four separate seasons. Not just hot and cold. Or brown then white. I have been living with this high desert brown long enough....

Old 10-28-2015, 08:42 AM

647 posts, read 1,664,040 times
Roehl Transport is in Marshfield and I believe they are looking for drivers. You could live in the Wausau area or Steven Point area. I think either city would fit your needs.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:21 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,099,840 times
Agreed with hankejp^. It sounds like either Stevens Point or Wausau would be a great fit for your large, young family. One of my best buds is a police officer in Stevens Point, and he seems to get bored on the job.....which is a good thing

Old 10-28-2015, 11:19 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,050,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlinsclan6 View Post
Hiya.... so we are a family of 6, husband and I are late 20s. He is currently getting his cdl, i am a homemaker, we have 4 wee ones, 2 boys 9&3 and 2 girls 5&1. We are a very outdoor type of family no matter the weather really. We also are a sports family football all day.... i personally am a proud packers fan my hubby is a vikings fan. I have convinced my hubby to move that way from idaho. We are currently in a small small town 15,000 small, i want about 2, maybe 3 times the size. Has to have a walmart... we are already accustomed to snow and cold, maybe not same snow levels but ehh snow is snow. Pretty much I have been looking into mainly wausau do to being the middle point betwwen GB and MN(team wise to make travel fair) so i would like opinions on wausau and is there any other that offer this
1. Family friendly/oriented (Mostly neighborhoods with kids of all ages, safe to ride a bike in the front of the house) Most areas I know of in WI are very safe and my kids would be allowed to ride and play. Exclusions being some areas of Milwaukee
2. Fun for all ages all year(winter carnivals, fair, hiking, camping, swimming, just outside) If winter doesn't keep you inside, the state offers loads of activities that vary with where you are. Northwoods is lakes and forests, southern areas more agriculture. Income is generally higher in the southern half of the state.
3. Husband needs football fanatics to conversate with.... Packers are a religion here.
4. A walmart or equivalent. Just about every town over 10,000
5. Cdl driver job where he can at least be home on weekends. Schneider, Roehl in Marshfield, Millis Transfer in Black River Falls, Hackl (specialized equipment) in Madison, HO Wolding out of Amherst (a friend is a dispatcher there) deBoer near Wausau, Karls Trucking in Antigo, Halvor and Jeff Foster in Superior are all good sized outfits I know of.
6. Bigger then 30,000 people There really isn't that many cities of this size in WI but based on your criteria I would consider Stevens Point, La Crosse area (Holmen is a personal favorite), Eau Claire, Madison burbs, or Appleton/Neenah/Fox Valley area.
We own a house here so we will just sell and buy over there but with that being said what are your average bills, here i pay trash $60 for 3mths, we are on a well so no water bill, and its all central heating and cooling average is $180 a month, so not sure what else would be required over there, again any info or maybe other places to look would be great. We are hoping to move mid april. Any info would be very much appreciated. Thank you for your time
I hope this helps.

Old 10-29-2015, 02:44 PM

From some of the other forums i have been reading(2007), is it in 2015..... going to be a racial issue in wausau, we are all "white" but i and my kids are just a lil darker skinned, like literally we just tan really good. And i have been looking at weather, the only difference i see is snow levels. Can anyone else find a significant difference between Wausau and Emmett idaho? Thanks for all info

Old 10-29-2015, 03:22 PM

647 posts, read 1,664,040 times
I don't believe there is a racial issue in the Wausau area, although some will disagree. Back in the 90's, early 2000's there were hardly any African Americans in the high schools. Today I believe the highschools are more diverse and the acceptance for a more diverse population is greater. Of course you will always have that small group that will still be divided on race, but that has more to do with their upbringing by their family, than it does on the society.

Old 10-29-2015, 03:30 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,050,294 times
Wausau also has a very significan Hmong population, as well a a growing Hispanic influence. I don't think there is any concern for racial issues. I looked at a potential career opportunity in Nampa not too long ago and it seemd like a similar type environment to much of Wisconsin in reality. You may miss the beautiful mountain vistas but I think the overall climate and culture are fairly comparable.

Old 10-29-2015, 03:45 PM

I truly deep down dislike the rolling treeless hills. And nampa and Caldwell are both more Hispanic than any other race, we have lived here for 10yrs, had all my babies here and still feel like theres still something missing, i still feel outta place just not quite right here. I am leaning a lot more towards stevens point the more research i do. I am just closely looking at the difference in weather/seasons. All we really get here is hot(102-105 in july) to cold(20-5 sometimes below in jan/feb) i need actual seasons with gradual cool down. Lol its probably alot to ask for but ehh. Worth a shot.

Old 10-29-2015, 04:41 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawlinsclan6 View Post
I truly deep down dislike the rolling treeless hills. And nampa and Caldwell are both more Hispanic than any other race, we have lived here for 10yrs, had all my babies here and still feel like theres still something missing, i still feel outta place just not quite right here. I am leaning a lot more towards stevens point the more research i do. I am just closely looking at the difference in weather/seasons. All we really get here is hot(102-105 in july) to cold(20-5 sometimes below in jan/feb) i need actual seasons with gradual cool down. Lol its probably alot to ask for but ehh. Worth a shot.
Occasionally, places like Stevens Point can get much colder in the winter than the averages indicate. For instance, the air temperature hit -32F in late February last winter and the prior winter. However, some winter seasons might not have many temperatures below zero at all, so a good amount of variability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin