Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 10:18 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,840,422 times

Advertisements

My spouse and I are looking into parts of Florida we would like to move to for retirement. Anybody on here doing the same thing? Or, if you have moved to Florida, how did you like it?
We love Wisconsin but just can't take these long cold winters any longer
Thank you in advance for your helpful input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2016, 11:22 AM

306 posts, read 336,680 times
No, but I'm moving to Hawai'i in August

I know people who have done it, or are snow birds. Many have ended up coming back, but I'm a a half hour outisde of Wausau so the big reason they come back is that they found a place like Orlando or Tampa incompatible with their rural lifestyle. You being from Milwaukee, that shouldn't be an issue. Also the people sometimes learn they prefer snow and cold to the humidity that can strike Florida. The majority of those who I know who move south and stay/love it there are those that move to Arizona.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:57 AM

Yes, those that don't really investigate the area they want to move to and really think it out are the ones that end up back where they were.

Old 03-04-2016, 12:34 PM

26,422 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Never underestimate the brutal intensity of the sun, heat, and humidity at the VERY LOW LATITUDE of Florida. This cannot be underestimated.

Old 03-04-2016, 12:48 PM

Yes, it's hot most of the year. I can take it

Old 03-04-2016, 01:43 PM

306 posts, read 336,680 times
Yeah, some like it, some can't take it. I've only spent a few days in Orlando in August, and it was fine for me. I have plenty of friends who absolutely love that kind of weather, so it differs person to person. I don't find the heat to be a huge issue with A/C being found everywhere you go in America. Less than a month prior to being in Florida I'd spent a considerable amount of time living in south central Africa, and without A/C (or fans, for that matter), the heat becomes a real factor. I chose Hawai'i for the more laid back setting (and just so happened to have a job for me in my field), but there's nothing wrong with Florida.

Old 03-04-2016, 01:46 PM

I have heard that Hawaii is expensive. I have never been there but would love to visit there one of these days. I heard it is really beautiful!

Old 03-04-2016, 03:30 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,024,066 times
spent 6 years in SC (our temps not much different than most of FL), moved back not because we missed Wisconsin's climate but wanted to be near the grandson and family in general. Otherwise we'd still be in the south. Yes the summers are long, hot, and humid, but for us that was fine as it gave us many months to enjoy the outdoor activities we liked (none of which involved snow or ice lol). Heck mid summer we'd be cruising with the top down enjoying it. Did notice that we'd often hear locals down there complain about their weather, no different than a northerner may do so about theirs so its all relative.

We did plenty of research before our move, and had spent time there in summer to get a good feel for the climate as well as an area for living, things to do, and so on. If one does their due diligence in selecting a new spot, they may have better luck than one who does not.

Just keep in mind the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence, though i'd say that the mowing season in the south was longer.

On a side note, we did meet people who were called "half backs", something about being a midwesterner/northerner who moved to FL, couldn't handle it, but only moved about half way back (ie NC, TN, etc) so perhaps check out one of those spots to begin with.

Old 03-04-2016, 03:50 PM

26,422 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
spent 6 years in SC (our temps not much different than most of FL), moved back not because we missed Wisconsin's climate but wanted to be near the grandson and family in general. Otherwise we'd still be in the south. Yes the summers are long, hot, and humid, but for us that was fine as it gave us many months to enjoy the outdoor activities we liked (none of which involved snow or ice lol). Heck mid summer we'd be cruising with the top down enjoying it. Did notice that we'd often hear locals down there complain about their weather, no different than a northerner may do so about theirs so its all relative.

We did plenty of research before our move, and had spent time there in summer to get a good feel for the climate as well as an area for living, things to do, and so on. If one does their due diligence in selecting a new spot, they may have better luck than one who does not.

Just keep in mind the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence, though i'd say that the mowing season in the south was longer.

On a side note, we did meet people who were called "half backs", something about being a midwesterner/northerner who moved to FL, couldn't handle it, but only moved about half way back (ie NC, TN, etc) so perhaps check out one of those spots to begin with.
Yes, I had to move for employment, but I live in the Ohio Valley now. It's mild most of the time but without ridiculous amounts of harsh sunlight which I don't prefer. There was a total of 62 inches of precipitation last year so similar to areas of the Pacific Northwest in that regard.

Old 03-04-2016, 04:28 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,024,066 times
From what we saw, places like Asheville, Knoxville, and even Lousville are examples of cities that have something to offer without having weather extremes like a WI winter or FL summer could have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin