Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2016, 12:55 PM

172 posts, read 414,471 times

Advertisements

Where are the best lakes in SE Wisc for boating, fishing, and general recreation (swimming/tubing)? I am particularly interested in lakes with good public access.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 03:44 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,022,761 times
OP, you may find the best lakes for fishing may not be (due to water conditions, weeds, etc) the same for recreating. In the Madison area at least early into summer the chain of lakes can offer nice conditions for all. But one has to keep an eye in the weeds and the algae later on to determine if its nice/safe to get in and tube & swim around.
On weekends the public launches can get crowded, at times nasty depending on time of day.
An option to get some nice current data on lake conditions and fishing reports is the lake-link website. You can find info on specific bodies of water that may help.

Old 05-22-2016, 05:46 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Little Muskego lake.

Old 05-22-2016, 08:35 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,787,522 times
Lake Poygan is nice. There's a landing for boats. It's pretty shallow, so good for swimming.
Lake Butte des Morts has a landing down at the end of Sand Pit Road between Oshkosh and Omro.
Lake Petenwell also has good access and is pretty nice. There's a nice beach near the dam. And boat landing, etc.

Old 05-23-2016, 10:54 AM

86 posts, read 112,223 times
Beulah lake in Walworth Co is nice but it does get crowded on weekends. (Keep your head on a swivel)

Tichigan Lake in Racine Co is great fishing and boating.

Sliver Lake in Kenosha. Quiet and great fishing while a no wake and a VITA MIX when the ski boats get started.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:10 PM

I might have ventured out of your SE zone, sorry.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
I might have ventured out of your SE zone, sorry.
what's a few miles among friends!

besides the way some lakes here can crowd up quickly and public ramps can be brutal, sometimes a longer drive is necessary to be able to enjoy oneself on the water

Old 05-23-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
what's a few miles among friends!

besides the way some lakes here can crowd up quickly and public ramps can be brutal, sometimes a longer drive is necessary to be able to enjoy oneself on the water

I'm looking out on Poygan right now and it would seem I have most of the lake to myself. Monday afternoon is probably not a big boating-fishing time. All the chumps at work and whatnot.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:40 PM

for years i hated having Mendota as my "home lake" due to the water issues in summer, and the launch crowds on weekends. If we weren't off the lake by noon, esp on peak summer weekends it could get ugly lol. I remember Gov Nelson needing their park wardens to direct boat traffic, took us near 45 mins to get off the water one afternoon.......

Kinda got spoiled in SC, our 'hood was on Lake Murray and had its own private ramp/docks. So working from home meant I could launch our boat in 5 minutes for a little lunch & swim in the bay if we wanted.
Not gonna happen up here.

back on point, obviously there are many lakes (even river systems) the OP can consider, just may take some research to find the optimal body of water, access, and so on.

May even take some trial and error

Old 05-23-2016, 02:41 PM

We're right on Poygan but there's a sea wall with a bit of a drop off. I've been a real chicken when it comes to trying to haul my buns up out of the lake. It's quite an endeavor and I'm not as young as I used to be! So my husband rigged up a ladder yesterday. Much easier to haul the old hiney out of the water that way. I'm sure the neighbors got a laugh watching me throwing my leg up onto the sea wall and trying to propel myself up onto the lawn like a crazy guppy! They're gonna be disappointed when they see the ladder. I like Lake Poygan, though... it's really a pretty lake. Seems like there's a lot of access points around the area, too, which is a good thing because man oh man, fishing is a full-time sport here. I've seen Lake Mendota on the weekends. It's NUTS out there. I bet there's boat rage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin