Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Oshkosh vs Wausau
Oshkosh 0 0%
Wausau 4 44.44%
Appleton 5 55.56%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 11:54 AM

21 posts, read 20,570 times

Advertisements

In terms of things to do for families, scenery, weather, amenities like hospitals and shopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 02:48 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
Having spent a lot of time in all three locations I vote for WSAW or Wausau. Oshkosh sorry but I don't know why anyone lives in that town, it's a very depressing town kind of like Beloit but even more so. Appleton is nice but it lacks any kind of scenery or outdoor activites, true it has a lot of nice city bike lanes and bike routes but that's where it ends.

Wausau a stand alone city unlike Oshkosh/Fox Valley where eveything blends together from Fond Du Lac up to Green Bay. Really nice skiing, hiking trails, biking trails and wildlife viewing, plus they have 2 airport's. 140,000 people live in Wisconsin's largest county by size(1,576 square miles) so about 88-90 people per sq mile. Wausau is fantastic about their snow removal, as I go up there for skiing and it is amazing how much snow they get and by the time you wake up it's mostly plowed. Wausa has a cool neat dowtown and given it's freeway location, fantastic access to Green Bay, the Fox Valley via Hwy 10 which is basicallly a freeway, Madison, Milwaukee Eau Claire and even the Twin Cities. It's 3 hours to downtown Milwaukee or Minneapolis and 2 hours to Madison and 1.5 to Green Bay and 1.5 to Appleton.

Appleton has one of the fastest growing airports in the country and now offers direct service to Denver, I say Appelton or Wausau but If I had to choose based on your factors I would choose Wausau. Now one thing against Wausau is shopping, they don't have a ton of big box stores but they make up for it in smaller Ma and Pop type places but also you are only what I consider a short drive to any of the bigger or large cities like Milwaukee or the Twin Cities. 3 hours to Mall of America is not a bad drive in my opinion but then again I love driving and anything under 5 hours is a nice ride for me.

Old 08-03-2019, 08:55 PM

21 posts, read 20,570 times
Thank you! Wausau sounds really nice. It sounds great that they have the snow cleared up on the road pretty well!

Old 08-05-2019, 02:37 PM

647 posts, read 1,663,880 times
One plus for Wausau as mentioned is it is right in the middle of the state and in a few hours can get to Minny, Green Bay, Appleton, Milwaukee, and Madison. If moving here, it's best that you don't live in the city limits as taxes are pretty expensive. I haven't looked lately, but I believe Kronenwetter has the cheapest tax rates right now. As far as flying somewhere, true we do have 2 airports, but one is a small municipal airport. The other one has Delta (flies to Msp and Dtw), United and American which fly to ORD only. Piece of advice is if you are going to fly out of CWA, fly Delta. A lot of times there are delays with United and American because they fly into O'Hare which is too small of an airport for the amount of air traffic they get. We usually just drive to Minny and fly directly out of there and keep the car at a park and fly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin