Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 11:19 AM

319 posts, read 665,056 times

Advertisements

Germantown or Menomonee Falls
Falls have cheaper rentals, Germantown has cheaper property taxes.
Both have good school districts and half hour to the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 11:24 AM

7 posts, read 10,030 times
I was just thinking about these as well. Thank you for suggesting them, as I wasn't sure about schools or larger property. This is very helpful. They are right off 41 as well, so that helps!

Old 07-18-2017, 11:59 AM

319 posts, read 665,056 times
My friend lives happily in Germantown, his wife commutes to FDL everyday and they frequent Chicago because the highway is so close. About 2 hours drive to gold coast.

Old 07-18-2017, 03:17 PM

That information is really reassuring! Very grateful. My parents live on the border with Wisconsin, so it would be about an our then or so for them. Will definitely look at Germantown as well. Thanks for the additional insight!

Old 07-19-2017, 01:09 AM

115 posts, read 98,250 times
I love staying at Cedarburg, feels like a home. Definitely worth living.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:13 AM

14,324 posts, read 14,620,586 times
I moved to Wisconsin from Illinois 10 years ago. My situation was different as I was retired, no longer had immediate family in Illinois. My sister was living in Upper Michigan and now she lives a block from me, which is nice.

I know family is a consideration, I did not want to leave the Midwest as I have a sister and BIL in Iowa, plus a niece and nephew there, too. Being alone, no kids, I want to be less than 8 hours to all my immediate family.

I do think you have to give serious consideration to length of drive to work, winter conditions and should outweigh the family being a fairly close drive, which isn't a daily thing. While traffic in metro areas is nowhere near the Chicago area traffic issues, a lengthy drive in winter can easily double.

I know you'll do your homework, research, consider being in an area during the week, do test drives, etc., enjoy and good luck in your search.

Old 07-23-2017, 07:09 PM

32 posts, read 52,997 times
As someone who has lived in the Fox Valley, Madison, Chicago, and now lives in a northern Milwaukee suburb, I would strongly advise you to reconsider a daily commute from either Madison or Milwaukee area to Fond du Lac every day. I do the drive between Milwaukee and Fond du Lac on I41 a lot, and that stretch between Germantown and FDL is absolutely awful in the winter. The Holy Hill stretch of 41 in Washington Co is one of the most dangerous stretches of interstate in the entire state with the most accidents. Snow also tends to blow hard across 41 between West Bend and FDL making visibility awful. And sorry to say 151 from Madison isn't much better.

If it's an easy winter, you're good, but a snowy winter is going to make you hate the commute.

Old 07-25-2017, 04:11 PM

Thank you so much Mandy2 and susancrusz. Very good perspectives! I will definitely consider both of your suggestions. Thank you again for taking the time to give me your thoughts. Very helpful!

Old 08-17-2017, 02:51 PM

4 posts, read 3,491 times
What about Hartford or West Bend? Land is less expensive, so you could get your son a huge yard! Public schools are excellent and a lot of new housing is going up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin