Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 08:53 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times

Advertisements

The bad - you need to get on a learning curve as to Mideast culture and language that can be difficult
and it is very cold there
The good you can afford a house there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 08:08 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
The bad - you need to get on a learning curve as to Mideast culture and language that can be difficult
and it is very cold there
The good you can afford a house there
What do you mean by language that can be difficult?

Old 04-02-2019, 03:42 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,152,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Thanks for the education.

However, YOU are the one who should be embarrassed at your intentional rudeness, when no rudeness was meant on my part.
No rudeness meant?
Sorry...
I interpreted what you said into: "Latino people should not live in northern climates, because "they" get cold to easily"??!!

That's not OK.

Sorry if I some how read too much in to your comment..

Old 04-02-2019, 03:46 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Sorry if I some how read too much in to your comment..

You didn't. The comment was both rude and ignorant. You were spot on.

Old 04-04-2019, 10:03 PM

459 posts, read 475,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risen19 View Post
Wisconsin is in fact the 10th most moved way state in the country. I move here maybe 3 years ago and the winters are getting colde and longer. The summers are increasingly almost unbearable. Cost of living vs jobs depends where you are living. The state is completely divided. The republicans representing this state are not looking through the lenses of people of the state. Expect this state to vote out the majority of republicans as they don’t listen to the voice of the people. Legalizing marijuana is just a matter of time. Republicans can either get on the bandwagon or be voted out of office路*♂️
There's basically two Wisconsin's the one where they completely forgot about because it's nothing more than dieing farms with poverty and trash all over and they are for the most part uneducated. My Grandpa was from Wisconsin and could barely read. My Grandpa from the other side of the family was also incredibly poor as well, but moved to Wisconsin from a neighboring state. Then you have another Wisconsin with working class people who got educated and have decent jobs and it's relatively clean with roads you don't lose your car in. That part of Wisconsin seems alright. Then you have a ton of industry that left because the infrastructure is not good with a lot of weather delays with higher taxes forcing industry to relocate else where for incentives and better infrastructure lower taxes, better weather, access to better airports and water ways. Industry also relocates to pay lower wages, lower utilities, better cost of living. Example is getting clients in and out of the area and you can't do that with paralyzing snow and ice storms weekly and flights canceled all the time because of poor weather. More people are leaving Illinois than Wisconsin and that trend has and will continue for decades. It's called mass migration. I see the southwest like Arizona and Nevada a hot spot for relocation. Texas and Florida as well. When we lived in Wisconsin the company my mom worked for could not attract any talented people from around the country as they flat out refused to move to Wisconsin no matter the salary. That thinking across the country for the most part has not changed. They could once and a great while get the person from Chicago to relocate to northern Wisconsin. There was one person who relocated from southern California who absolutely hated it and moved back within a year. If you're a cold weather state they have to redo the taxes to make it more attractive to keep the people they at least got. Not to mention they have to think outside the box and stop being so traditional. Northern Midwestern and Northeastern states already have a number of strikes against them and until they get their act together thousands and thousands will continue moving out for better places. I am actually really shocked to see how much of a dump a number of places in the midwest have become not just Wisconsin. Really really sad to be honest. I honestly hope that changes. Legalizing marijuana and taxing it would be a great start. No, I do not smoke.

Old 04-05-2019, 04:32 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
After years of being out of state, retirement finally arrived. We're moving back this summer and can't wait to get there.

Old 04-07-2019, 10:10 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
I should add something to my last comment. Imho, what a lot of Wis natives dont understand is that one of the best things about Wis is the moderate temperatures May through Sept. You can go out and play golf, fish, go to festvals etc, and not cook in the summer heat. We lived in NC and Texas for over 20 years. People in those states often flee to the mountains or other cool spots. Most of May through Sept is just too hot, for most people, to stay outside and do much at all.

Every place has bad weather for part of the year. No place has a perfect climate. Try summer in Fl or Tx or Az before you make a move there. You can only take off so many clothes before you get arrested, but its also true theres nothing to shovel at 100 F.

Old 04-08-2019, 06:43 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,892,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkl07 View Post
There's basically two Wisconsin's the one where they completely forgot about because it's nothing more than dieing farms with poverty and trash all over and they are for the most part uneducated. My Grandpa was from Wisconsin and could barely read. My Grandpa from the other side of the family was also incredibly poor as well, but moved to Wisconsin from a neighboring state. Then you have another Wisconsin with working class people who got educated and have decent jobs and it's relatively clean with roads you don't lose your car in. That part of Wisconsin seems alright. Then you have a ton of industry that left because the infrastructure is not good with a lot of weather delays with higher taxes forcing industry to relocate else where for incentives and better infrastructure lower taxes, better weather, access to better airports and water ways. Industry also relocates to pay lower wages, lower utilities, better cost of living. Example is getting clients in and out of the area and you can't do that with paralyzing snow and ice storms weekly and flights canceled all the time because of poor weather. More people are leaving Illinois than Wisconsin and that trend has and will continue for decades. It's called mass migration. I see the southwest like Arizona and Nevada a hot spot for relocation. Texas and Florida as well. When we lived in Wisconsin the company my mom worked for could not attract any talented people from around the country as they flat out refused to move to Wisconsin no matter the salary. That thinking across the country for the most part has not changed. They could once and a great while get the person from Chicago to relocate to northern Wisconsin. There was one person who relocated from southern California who absolutely hated it and moved back within a year. If you're a cold weather state they have to redo the taxes to make it more attractive to keep the people they at least got. Not to mention they have to think outside the box and stop being so traditional. Northern Midwestern and Northeastern states already have a number of strikes against them and until they get their act together thousands and thousands will continue moving out for better places. I am actually really shocked to see how much of a dump a number of places in the midwest have become not just Wisconsin. Really really sad to be honest. I honestly hope that changes. Legalizing marijuana and taxing it would be a great start. No, I do not smoke.
Wisconsin is one of the more educated states, so, there's that. If you had someone who was uneducated, stop judging the entire state for that. Also, Wisconsin has not lost population, so there's that, as well. Your personal experiences, don't apply to everyone's personal experiences. Arizona for the most part, is not sustainable. Maybe for now, it's okay, but Arizona lacks water....this will come into play in the future. Part of Florida will be underwater in the future, has too many people for the size of the state, and sinkholes...one never knows where they will occur. I loved AZ, but Florida is among the last of states I would move to.

There will come a day when people move to Wisconsin, when water becomes an issue in this country. That's a ways off, and won't probably be in our lifetime, but it will happen. I've lived in WI for a while now, and I absolutely love it. Stop sounding so dire...people aren't moving out in droves.

Old 04-08-2019, 09:53 AM

2,663 posts, read 3,860,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkl07 View Post
Legalizing marijuana and taxing it would be a great start. No, I do not smoke.
Why do you think that?
I live in PNW where Marijuana is legal. Sure does not seem to have made these states any better.
Indeed some of the people I see coming out of pot stores, I wish were not here. But, I guess the same could be said for some folks coming out of grocery stores.

Why is legal pot a good thing?
Taxes?? They are not that much.
Crime?? Most towns are not actively spending resources enforcing small recreational pot crime anyway.

This seems like a common cause among certain folk but does not have much substance one way or the other.

WI does not need to jump on that bandwagon any time soon as there is no real benefit.

Old 04-08-2019, 09:55 AM

2,663 posts, read 3,860,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Wisconsin is one of the more educated states, so, there's that. If you had someone who was uneducated, stop judging the entire state for that. Also, Wisconsin has not lost population, so there's that, as well. Your personal experiences, don't apply to everyone's personal experiences. Arizona for the most part, is not sustainable. Maybe for now, it's okay, but Arizona lacks water....this will come into play in the future. Part of Florida will be underwater in the future, has too many people for the size of the state, and sinkholes...one never knows where they will occur. I loved AZ, but Florida is among the last of states I would move to.

There will come a day when people move to Wisconsin, when water becomes an issue in this country. That's a ways off, and won't probably be in our lifetime, but it will happen. I've lived in WI for a while now, and I absolutely love it. Stop sounding so dire...people aren't moving out in droves.
This is a good post.

I too think WI and Midwest will see a renaissance as coasts continue to become more costly, crowded and QOL decreases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin