Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 09:27 AM

41 posts, read 135,297 times

Advertisements

As I sit here disappointing that this years flu shot did not work for me, I lament the disappearance of Wisconsin waysides. As a child, 1960's, we'd visit my grandparents in the UP, pack a lunch and head out into the country. After stopping and exploring what Michigan's UP had to offer, we'd find a wayside and stop for lunch. My siblings and I would explore while mom and grandma would set out lunch from and old metal ice chest onto a big wood picnic table. My dad and grandpa would enjoy cool refreshments and take in the country. Finding a grill on a pedestal a fire would be made and Jiffy Pop shaken until the popping subsided.

Turn the clock ahead, 1970's, and there are wonderful memories of driving the interstate with friends and stopping to relieve one's self or have a bite to eat. We would always carry several Frisbees to toss and stretch our legs.

Now as we drive past those locations the sunny summer days return to me, but sadly the waysides are gone. I point out to friends and family where the good old waysides used to be, and the ramps can still be recognized. So many of the interstate and country waysides are disappearing or are already gone. Some country highway waysides remain but are not maintained, no garbage cans, not a grill to be found, and plug your nose if there are toilets to use. The interstate waysides that do remain have turned into large brick and glass palaces. Yes, the are nice and serve the purpose, but too few and far between.

Who needs to stop now pertains to making a stop at a Cenex, BP, Kwik Trip, or one of the many other convenience stores along the highway. Time was when you had to plan your trip around where there were gas stations, now they are located at most interchanges, but you could always find a wayside for those who need to stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 06:43 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times
Put me in the camp of government shouldn't be spending money on parking spaces and rest areas. If it were up to me I would sell all waysides and rest areas and let a private company come in and run them. I am a huge road tripper and I use them from time to time but to pay a full time staff to mow, pave. repair, paint, clean toilets seems like a waste of money but then again this is coming from the same guy who would end public funding for libraries as well, they are also useless these days.

Waysides were great idea in the 50's when people would stop and take picnics and take road trips but nowadays people just don't picnic anymore and we'd rather stop at a steak and shake than stop on the side of hwy 12 and eat a packed lunch that mom made earlier that day.

Old 01-23-2018, 07:50 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,254,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
end public funding for libraries as well, they are also useless.
I hate your type with a passion.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:09 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Waysides are great and lead people to slow down and spend more time outside and help the tourism economy in northern Wisconsin. I have good memories of stopping at "primitive waysides," those with few amenities Up North. I think it was in Florence or Forest counties. I fished some lakes there, enjoyed the outdoors, and spent more money at local establishments.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:42 PM

4,667 posts, read 3,864,415 times
There used to be more waysides?

Old 01-24-2018, 05:17 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,024,066 times
Ahhh the memories. Piling in the old wood paneled station wagon (in the rear facing back seat), and heading up old 51 to the northwoods to see grandma and grandpa. Hitting those waysides, using the pump well for a drink of water, and those pit toilets lol.

Now as a much older adult, when traveling I prefer the modern rest areas... but i can say if we're just out driving around the state then those old spots that were waysides or perhaps historical markers do get me to pull over and take a relaxing look around.

Old 01-24-2018, 04:07 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,315,765 times
Quote:
but then again this is coming from the same guy who would end public funding for libraries as well, they are also useless these days.
I go to public libraries pretty regularly all over the area, and always see people using them. Many people use them not just for books and magazines, but also internet. I often see people at libraries looking at online want ads, working on their resumés, mothers with children in the juvenile book section, elderly people reading best sellers and newspapers.... Public libraries aren't what they used to be (mostly book-centered) back in the 1970s, but they still have a place, especially for people with modest means and on fixed incomes.

I didn't grow up in Wisconsin, so don't know much about the wayside tradition, but I don't mind a few publicly-financed rest stops. I don't think private companies necessarily do a better job than the government, especially when the main objective is to provide a service rather than reap a profit.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:21 PM

1,261 posts, read 951,258 times
Quote:
Put me in the camp of government shouldn't be spending money on parking spaces and rest areas. If it were up to me I would sell all waysides and rest areas and let a private company come in and run them. I am a huge road tripper and I use them from time to time but to pay a full time staff to mow, pave. repair, paint, clean toilets seems like a waste of money but then again this is coming from the same guy who would end public funding for libraries as well, they are also useless these days.

Waysides were great idea in the 50's when people would stop and take picnics and take road trips but nowadays people just don't picnic anymore and we'd rather stop at a steak and shake than stop on the side of hwy 12 and eat a packed lunch that mom made earlier that day.
I'd venture to say libraries are used more heavily now than they were 20 or 30 years ago. Ours are always hopping with activity. Some people are there for the books, others computer access, and others for tutoring and community gatherings. It's nice having public spaces where you aren't expected to spend money.

As for waysides, now that my kids are older we use them less, but when they were small it sure was nice to have a place we could stop with a playground that was reasonably far from traffic so the kids could stretch their legs. Sometimes we packed a lunch, sometimes we stopped for fast food, but I greatly appreciated them either way. Even now when we travel with dogs, waysides are way nicer for giving the pups a walk than the tiny strips of trash-laden grass that surround most gas stations.

Then again, I'm all for public spending on amenities that make life just a little bit more comfortable for everyone.

As an aside, my husband has always found it funny that I call them "Waysides" and not "Rest Areas", as he did not grow up here and moved after they'd started disappearing. You can imagine my triumph the first time I found an actual "Wayside" sign to show him. I think he thought I'd made up the word until then!

Old 01-25-2018, 04:34 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times
Internet is $30/month or a $1 a day, there is no need for government to pay for people's internet or provide dvd's and Simon and Garfunkel cd's for people. I go to the Thiensville Library which is really nice and I see most people browsing the net and renting 10 dvds at a time. I rarely see people studying but rather using it as a free service. Oh I do see people reading the JS which is free online. Libraries are useless, you can get an audible subscription and downloads books galore. But don't worry I'm sure the people of Mequon who's median income is $130,000 a year really need that library.

Waysides, I really don't see the point of having a picnic table a few parking spots in serving some great purpose. Also since we are in the cutting spirit, close all rest areas and visitor centers or tourist centers. Is the tourist center for Jefferson Wisconsin serving mass amounts of people who just drive into town looking for things to do?

I would also get rid of 511 program, does anyone really pick up the phone and call someone for driving directions or travel conditions?

I would cut way more than Ron Swanson could ever dream of cutting!

Old 01-25-2018, 08:26 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,315,765 times
Quote:
Internet is $30/month or a $1 a day, there is no need for government to pay for people's internet or provide dvd's and Simon and Garfunkel cd's for people. I go to the Thiensville Library which is really nice and I see most people browsing the net and renting 10 dvds at a time. I rarely see people studying but rather using it as a free service. Oh I do see people reading the JS which is free online. Libraries are useless, you can get an audible subscription and downloads books galore. But don't worry I'm sure the people of Mequon who's median income is $130,000 a year really need that library.

Waysides, I really don't see the point of having a picnic table a few parking spots in serving some great purpose. Also since we are in the cutting spirit, close all rest areas and visitor centers or tourist centers. Is the tourist center for Jefferson Wisconsin serving mass amounts of people who just drive into town looking for things to do?

I would also get rid of 511 program, does anyone really pick up the phone and call someone for driving directions or travel conditions?

I would cut way more than Ron Swanson could ever dream of cutting!
That's too bad. Libraries, waysides, and other services may be useless to you, because you don't use or need them, but that doesn't mean other people are in the same boat as you. Not everyone has a real computer (versus a phone) to work on at home or at work. A lot of people (myself included) have difficulty reading books on a computer screen of any size, and not all worthwhile books are available electronically anyhow, so libraries are an efficient way to avail large groups of people with pricey books that can be shared. Again, maybe the well-heeled people of Mequon don't all need their handsome library, but users with less fabulous budgets in the real world do need them and use them. I see them regularly at Mitchell, KK, Tippecanoe, Central, and other middle class or low income places. But that kind of points to the usual divide between the "haves" and the "have nots": the latter are often at the mercy of the former. Maybe our current rulers should decide to require drug testing of all library users--that'll show 'em who's boss!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin