Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 09:54 PM

607 posts, read 978,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnovativeAmerican View Post
Even the small towns surrounding Madison are growing/suburbanizing, like Oregon and Deforest.
I am talking about the small rural towns. Go to any company and you will find someone that grew up in a small rural town that moved to get work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 11:19 AM

512 posts, read 474,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liveurdream View Post
I am talking about the small rural towns. Go to any company and you will find someone that grew up in a small rural town that moved to get work.
Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification!

Old 04-17-2019, 11:25 PM

Here are the 2018 Census estimates. As usual, Dane led the state in population growth, while Milwaukee County lost population again, which I'm sure is mostly from the City of Milwaukee: https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/c...7064dcf60.html

I'm actually shocked Milwaukee is losing population given the way the downtown area has revitalized. Milwaukee County even lost more population than Wayne County (home of Detroit) last year, which is definitely not good. Milwaukee was adding residents up until 2014 and has seen a population decline since then. Waukesha County added 2k residents last year.

Last edited by InnovativeAmerican; 04-17-2019 at 11:45 PM..

Old 04-18-2019, 05:52 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:

I'm actually shocked Milwaukee is losing population given the way the downtown area has revitalized. Milwaukee County even lost more population than Wayne County (home of Detroit) last year, which is definitely not good. Milwaukee was adding residents up until 2014 and has seen a population decline since then. Waukesha County added 2k residents last year.

That too is surprising to me considering how many people from the East coast I've been hearing about moving there.

Old 04-18-2019, 05:53 AM

4,667 posts, read 3,863,296 times
Quote:
I'm actually shocked Milwaukee is losing population given the way the downtown area has revitalized.
Millennials are moving to the suburbs & exurbs. Look at the growth change in the WOW counties.

"2012 was the peak of the "back to the city" movement. Urban core population growth is trailing off, and exurban population growth is surging. "
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...ic-development

Old 04-18-2019, 05:54 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
I do find it surprising that Milwaukee County lost people last year as well. 947,000 in 2010 and currently 952,000 so Milwaukee County may still end up in the positive come 2020. If you drive around MKE you will see a ton of growth and new buildings in the downtown area and 1-2 neighborhoods surrounding it. I think where the loss is, is in the hood or "the core" (which people really don't call it that anymore). Milwaukee's suburbs are getting more diverse as people move out of the hood to cities like The Falls, Stallis, Cudahy, South Milwaukee, West Milwaukee and Glendale.

Old 04-18-2019, 06:06 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
It would be nice to have it be 8 lanes the whole way from Milwaukee to Madison, driving between the two cities during the evening commute stinks.

Old 04-18-2019, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I do find it surprising that Milwaukee County lost people last year as well. 947,000 in 2010 and currently 952,000 so Milwaukee County may still end up in the positive come 2020. If you drive around MKE you will see a ton of growth and new buildings in the downtown area and 1-2 neighborhoods surrounding it. I think where the loss is, is in the hood or "the core" (which people really don't call it that anymore). Milwaukee's suburbs are getting more diverse as people move out of the hood to cities like The Falls, Stallis, Cudahy, South Milwaukee, West Milwaukee and Glendale.
True.

Old 04-19-2019, 12:49 PM

A good number of the residents Dane County has added this past decade have been domestic and international migrants. Perhaps tech firms like Epic and Exact Sciences are attracting out-of-state talent to the area.

Quote:
In 2018, Dane County made up about a quarter of Wisconsin’s growth. Dane County gained about 54,000 people since 2010. About a third of the growth came from people moving to Wisconsin from out of the country, about 20 percent came from people moving from other states in the U.S., and the remaining half was from more babies being born.
https://wkow.com/news/wakeup/2019/04...EAjNF-FvYfGGaM

Old 05-28-2019, 03:27 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times
Default Wisonsin's new 3rd largest city

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Millennials are moving to the suburbs & exurbs. Look at the growth change in the WOW counties.

"2012 was the peak of the "back to the city" movement. Urban core population growth is trailing off, and exurban population growth is surging. "
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...ic-development
The most recent population estimates for the "WOW" counties you cited are nothing to write home about in terms of reflecting "...exurban population growth is surging," as you put it.
None of the 3 WOW's have performed better than a 3% growth to this point so far this decade. That is abysmal growth, my friend. When combined with the anemic change in Milwaukee County, the population stagnation of the Milwaukee metro is undeniable.
Take a look below for instance at how Waukesha County, by far the largest of the WOW counties has seen a stunning drop off occur in it's decades long rapid record of growth.
Concurrent with that Waukesha slow down, both Ozaukee &Washington have seen their own days of rapid population growth fade into the past.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waukes...nty,_Wisconsin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin