Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 09:01 AM

746 posts, read 838,184 times

Advertisements

So here comes one of the biggest sporting events to hit Wisconsin next fall and I haven't heard of anyone in my local area that could get tickets. I "won" the special lottery that gave me an access code, then sat online for 3 hours, got 2 days worth of tickets in my shopping cart, and then got booted off. Over 200,000 tickets gone in 50 minutes. The sad thing is an hour later they were available on Stubhub marked up 200%.

Never had one issue with both PGA tournaments. Has anyone here had any luck getting tickets???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2019, 04:00 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,101,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
So here comes one of the biggest sporting events to hit Wisconsin next fall and I haven't heard of anyone in my local area that could get tickets. I "won" the special lottery that gave me an access code, then sat online for 3 hours, got 2 days worth of tickets in my shopping cart, and then got booted off. Over 200,000 tickets gone in 50 minutes. The sad thing is an hour later they were available on Stubhub marked up 200%.

Never had one issue with both PGA tournaments. Has anyone here had any luck getting tickets???
I have been registering for Ryder Cup tickets since 2012, I also have been entering the lottery to volunteer for the Ryder Cup since 2012 technically 2010 since you have to signup 2 years before the event. I have a lot of Golf Bros and none of them had ever won the "lottery" in any of the previous years. However, this year all of my golf buds were selected, so what does that tell you. Based on what we know, they obviously handed out way too many "access codes". Tickets sold out in 43 min, reports of people getting to ticket window within 10 minutes and being told all tickets sold out also proves this. My Wife's employer, a small one at that, bought tickets last year.

I don't think everyone was tee'd off because of demand, it' because it was implied that if you were selected you would get a code and then you can purchase tickets, however it wasn't until you entered that code and were put in a random spot in the line did they first mention "due to high demand, tickets may not be available". So the first time they mention of the possibility of not getting tickets was the morning of.

What really pissed me off was that I am a WSGA and USGA member, I signed up for the random lottery a year and a half ago, I signed up the second you could, then you had to check in the night before, then at 9 am you were allowed in a virtual lobby for an hour, then at 10am they put you in a random spot in the line, so you could be 100th or 100,000th spot.

Yeah I could have bought tickets for $185 and now they are selling for 500-700 for a single day ticket. I too was bumped out in the practice rounds category. It said tickets were available but when you tried to checkout, it read sorry all sold out.

They really screwed the pooch, judging on all the reaction nobody got tickets but brokers.

Old 10-23-2019, 07:39 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,017,533 times
Not a golf fan but i assume this is the same that seems to happen with top music events etc... I will hear about a new show coming and tickets are readily available.... at higher than list prices. And by principal I wont pay anyone a profit for a ticket. Just sucks for true fans that individually they are at the mercy of programming and software that others somehow use to snag everything up.

Hope it works out for y’all to somehow see that next year

Old 10-23-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
Not a golf fan but i assume this is the same that seems to happen with top music events etc... I will hear about a new show coming and tickets are readily available.... at higher than list prices. And by principal I wont pay anyone a profit for a ticket. Just sucks for true fans that individually they are at the mercy of programming and software that others somehow use to snag everything up.

Hope it works out for y’all to somehow see that next year

As one person said on twitter: "Welcome to the world of every concert goer".

Touche' if people were saying they were at the ticketing window at 10 mins and it still read as sold out then it could only be bots or a computer program.

To throw gas on the fire, 6 mins after Ryder Cup USA said tickets were all sold out, they then list a third party site is the official ticket exchange where many tickets all of a sudden appeared for $500-$700 for a day. It's a way for the Ryder Cup to sell tickets for a huge price without being called "Gougers" at least that's my conspiracy theory.

Old 10-24-2019, 06:20 AM

A lot of homeowners in my area already have their homes rented out for this event. I have mine rented out for 6 days to the same group that rented it in the last PGA. They have already paid 50% down with no contingencies for a refund. This week I emailed the main contact to see if they had tickets and he replied that the 4 of them all had them for 6 straight days. Go figure....

To top off my fury, last year I tried to get one of the many hundred volunteer jobs. I couldn't even get selected to just pick up trash.

Old 10-24-2019, 07:01 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,940,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I

They really screwed the pooch, judging on all the reaction nobody got tickets but brokers.

This is what they want. They gets fees on both sales.

Old 03-16-2020, 08:21 AM

Wow, I just scored 3 days of tickets at 25% of face value, fully refundable. Patience is a virtue

Old 03-16-2020, 09:12 AM

246 posts, read 349,501 times
Can't figure out how people even play golf much less stand around and watch someone else do it lol. More interesting watching paint dry. Glad someone is capitalizing on it though.......

Old 03-16-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstef View Post
Can't figure out how people even play golf much less stand around and watch someone else do it lol. More interesting watching paint dry. Glad someone is capitalizing on it though.......
I can see that, but to each their own. As for me, I never understood the attraction to team sports. Pretty sure I have never seen more than 15 minutes of any type of it.

Old 03-16-2020, 08:14 PM

Have you ever tried something knowing you would hate it or not enjoy it, then you try it and now enjoy it? variety is the spice of life. If you never branch out and try new things, you may never enjoy some of lifes greatest experiences or new interest that you now like. I hated almonds my whole life even just a few years ago, now I love them. I watch marble races, who knew that was cool but I like it. I love curling, used to hate it. I used to hate hiking and nature and now I love it, I used to hate the suburbs and now I love them. I used to hate the cubs and now I still do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin