Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2006, 08:43 PM

2 posts, read 8,772 times

Advertisements

We should have gotten a Sam's Club, to go along with the Wal Mart SuperCenter. Wal Mart should have bought up the old Geoffrey's/Toys 'R' Us for that purpose, instead of letting that store be taken over by PetSmart.

A Dunkin' Donuts would also be an excellent addition to this city. It could go in the building about to be vacated by Walgreen's. Very conveniently located next to the cop shop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2006, 05:51 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
Thanks for sharing.

Maybe I'm just an urban snob, but I pity a place that longs for a Dunkin' Donuts.

Old 12-27-2006, 03:28 PM

2 posts, read 8,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Thanks for sharing.

Maybe I'm just an urban snob, but I pity a place that longs for a Dunkin' Donuts.
lol. Easy for you to say. You live in a city that has practically everything.

Old 12-27-2006, 06:17 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,139,885 times
Even Madison gets snubbed by many national retailers (Dunkin Donuts, Baskin Robbins, Mrs. Field's). Don't know why...but I know most people like it that way. Seems like Wisconsin in general gets the shaft. Madison doesn't even have a Dunking Donuts. I think Wisconsinites have an aversion to donuts. The donut chains never work here for some reason, even before bagel mania and Starbucks. I think most national chains are challenged here by design standards and community opposition a lot, and that hurts the bottom line when trying to get into the market. Just my two cents. Hope you get some more of yor favorite chains stores up that way soon.

PS Madison does have many regional chains though...and Culver's makes up for a lot!!!!

Old 12-27-2006, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
PS Madison does have many regional chains though...and Culver's makes up for a lot!!!!
I have decided that Champaign IL is the true site of the Mason-Dixon line because it has both a Culvers and a Sonic...

Old 12-28-2006, 07:58 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,139,885 times
haha funny Drover. Let me ask you...where do you think the mason dixon line is, based on accent? In CU I don't recall hearing a southern accent or even a twang....but I know the neutralish midwest accent is diluted not too far south from there. Any thoughts? Or another thread? haha.

Old 12-28-2006, 10:45 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,925,949 times
Default No Dunkin' Donuts?...

..Here in Boston, we are infested with them, as is the Northeast in general. It's hard to drive a mile without running into one.

I lived in Madison for a short time, great town, will always visit.

We don't have a Culver's restaurant, nor do we have a Sonic (from the South?). And as far as regional accents go , our Mason-Dizon line is the PA/MD line, although the accents are not strictly north/south, bit rather Boston vs. New York vs.Bawlmorese vs a north/south mix frequently heard in MD/VA/DC.I found the Midwest to be "virtually" accent-free, although the flat nasal "A" sound could certainly he heard in Chicago, and the long "O" sound is heard in WI/MN. I've been told that the southern third of IL is more like the South than the Midwest in both language and culture--is this true?

Old 12-28-2006, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
haha funny Drover. Let me ask you...where do you think the mason dixon line is, based on accent? In CU I don't recall hearing a southern accent or even a twang....but I know the neutralish midwest accent is diluted not too far south from there. Any thoughts? Or another thread? haha.
Accentally speaking (is that even a word? It is now...) I'd say the Mason-Dixon line starts at about Effingham. The accent in Central Illinois sounds a bit different than up here in the Chicago area, but it still pretty unmistakable as a North accent. But pull someone out of Effingham and drop 'em off in a restaurant in Milwaukee, the waitress will probably ask, "so where you from? Tennessee?" Of course, if you're from Effingham, you know the difference between your own accent and a Tennessee accent. But to up-North ears they sound a lot alike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin