Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 12:11 PM

350 posts, read 653,954 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I've recently moved here from Boston, MA and feel like a stranger in a strange land. By nature, I am outgoing and intense (not obnoxious), but these traits seem not to be welcome here.

I go to a pub, try to start conversations, and barely get a response or am looked at as if I were mad. Where I work, all anyone seems interested in is family, try to talk about politics, and they will quickly change the subject back. Where I'm from, politics and current events are normal topics of discussion - we thrive on them. Is it me, have I just not met the right people yet - or is the Midwest really like another country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 12:15 PM

286 posts, read 1,151,209 times
Where are you?

Old 08-04-2008, 12:17 PM

350 posts, read 653,954 times
Just outside Milwaukee.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:01 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,619,556 times
There have been several posts on this very same subject, so you are not alone in your feelings and observations. My daughter has had a terrible time breaking through in a small town there, shes bright, gorgeous, a teacher and very kind. I have sent her some of the posts I found on here so she knows it isnt just her. So, it aint you either kid. Dont give up, you will break thru the ice I'm sure. And there are alot of people from 'someplace else' there. Come one down to Chicago for a week end. Most of the midwest is very down to earth and friendly-promise.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:42 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,571,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortamor View Post
Hello,
I've recently moved here from Boston, MA and feel like a stranger in a strange land. By nature, I am outgoing and intense (not obnoxious), but these traits seem not to be welcome here.

I go to a pub, try to start conversations, and barely get a response or am looked at as if I were mad. Where I work, all anyone seems interested in is family, try to talk about politics, and they will quickly change the subject back. Where I'm from, politics and current events are normal topics of discussion - we thrive on them. Is it me, have I just not met the right people yet - or is the Midwest really like another country?
I suggest you start hanging out in Milwaukee proper, as in downtown or the eastside, you won't find too much stimulating political conversation outside of it. I for one love to talk politics, & I totally understand the whole coworkers talking about family thing, happens to me too. But you won't find coworkers talking about too much of anything outside of work stuff. Don't worry, you'll get in the groove here. People here are fine, just keep striking up conversations...just make sure you're not coming off skeevy!!

Old 08-04-2008, 06:22 PM

387 posts, read 1,332,431 times
We were in Milwaukee last weekend. We found lot of people to talk too. We have lived out east and have found the people so much friendlier here.
We are heading down to the State Fair on Thursday for a few days. Can't wait.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:38 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,563,631 times
somebody from our East saying people here are not friendly? that's interesting.

I'm sure most people don't want to talk about politics at work because they don't want to ruffle feathers. Some people take it very seriously no matter how you approach it and they just don't want to be judged.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:36 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,868,298 times
I also find it hard to talk about politics, and I can be a bit more intense at times as well, especially when I am in a hurry (and no one else is!!) I try to bring up political issues at work sometimes, but the conversation usually dies in a hurry.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:00 AM

3,198 posts, read 12,718,342 times
Yeah, I guess I don't quite get feeling hard against people for not wanting to talk politics.

If you are coming from Boston, maybe folks are more receptive to talking politics as most (not all) folks are coming from a similar point of view on the liberal ledger? For instance, much easier and less a chance for explosion to talk politics if you are talking it with a person or a group who largely agrees.

Transversely, metro Milwaukee - depending upon the spot you are in - is very mixed politically between liberals and conservatives and moderates. Thus, probably a safe thing for people here is to refrain from talking politics with strangers, co-workers, etc., as you may not want to engage in an argument / a heated debate. I know that I personally love politics and to talk it, but I would probably never talk it with a co-worker or someone out and about I didn't know well, because I wouldn't want to risk a major dust-up.

I have always thought to not with strangers talk much about religion, politics, and major hot-button issues such as abortion, creation/evolution, etc. I don't know if that is a Midwestern cultural thing, but I guess I would rather either be cordial with strangers and talk about safer subjects.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:52 AM
Jev

64 posts, read 253,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
somebody from our East saying people here are not friendly? that's interesting.

I'm sure most people don't want to talk about politics at work because they don't want to ruffle feathers. Some people take it very seriously no matter how you approach it and they just don't want to be judged.

It's really not cool to talk about politics at work, especially if you are in a white collar environment. It's also very uncool if the talk is unsolicited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin