Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 02:15 PM

1 posts, read 6,333 times

Advertisements

I am a senior at Penn State and received a really really great job offer with Kimberly-Clark in Neenah. I want to know what it's like as a 21 year old living in the area. I heard it's a fast-growing area and I visited once but I feel like I need to hear more opinions from people. It's a tough decision so any input would be great!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2007, 03:42 PM

56 posts, read 369,806 times
The greater Appleton area, which includes Neenah, is nice and just about everyone likes it, whether married or single, young or old. The area is small enough so that you won't have to experience many "big city" hassles, yet, not so small that you can feel stiffled.

While K-C is a good company, I'd be cautious before I'd get too entwined in the paper industry---it's been on the downhill slide for a good 10 years now and the prospects for it certainly do not appear to be too bright.

Old 02-11-2007, 02:04 PM

426 posts, read 1,736,356 times
I grew up for 20 years in Oshkosh, and some of my family lived in Neenah. I would recommend living in Appleton instead, it's really not a long commute, and Appleton is a nice, small town, that perhaps feels a tad bit bigger than it actually (maybe more like 100,000). If you are used to smallish town living in Pennsylvania, then the move shouldn't be that hard. If you grew up in Philadelphia, you will probably have an extremely hard time adjusting, as the closest sort of big city is Milwaukee, and that is about 2 hours. Also, if you ever visit Neenah again, I'd recommend the Chinese restaurant Bao Ju (or something), which is downtown. If you move there, definitely try it out some time- and if you do every try it out and hate it- I'm sorry.

Old 03-01-2007, 03:06 PM

2 posts, read 9,675 times
I would take the job offer, K-C has had some upheavals as of late, but as a corporation I don't think that it's in any danger of completely pulling up stakes anytime soon!

You say that you are 21 and you would like to know more about fun things to do in the area, but maybe you could give us some of your intrests (sports, clubbing, shopping, volunteering?) and we could better match you up with the local activities.

Old 03-02-2007, 03:28 PM

136 posts, read 459,540 times
Most of the IT is being outsourced and they are closing a couple of their plants. I have a friend who works at one of the plants that is scheduled for closing within the next year. I have a couple of friends who are in IT at K-C and they have been told it's just a matter of time.

On the plus side, Neenah is a nice town.

Old 03-20-2007, 09:49 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyNumb View Post
I grew up for 20 years in Oshkosh, and some of my family lived in Neenah. I would recommend living in Appleton instead
Why is that? Is there something in particular you don't like about Neenah, or do you simply prefer Appleton?

Old 03-20-2007, 10:51 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,866,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Why is that? Is there something in particular you don't like about Neenah, or do you simply prefer Appleton?
(i'm not the person you quoted) but pesonally i think neenah is a nice, small town. however, its a small town with the small town mentality. (plus many of the neenah people are a bit snooty lol). appleton is where all of the shopping is (almost) all of the good restaraunts in the area, all of the best nightlife, all of the... you get it.

my wife and i lived in oshkosh (she grew up there, we both went to UWO) and one day we said "well, whenever we go shopping, to dinner, out at night, we go to appleton. lets just move there".

so to the OP, basically unless you really like a small town like neenah, most everything you do will be in appleton so why not just live there. sure, neenah is about a 10 minute drive, but there is still the mentality and the sense of community belonging which is different (if that is important to you).

appleton is a clean city, lots of smooth roads, very low crime, low traffic, it has the majority of shopping and eating in the area (including green bay), all of the best bars/clubs are on college ave (and appleton is smoke-free, btw, neenah is not). its not a huge city; 112K people according to cnn money (this includes the township of grand chute) and the entire area includes at least another 112K.

p.s. my wife works for SCA tissue which has just come off of two recor profit years. the paper industry isnt going anyhere, though KC has had some hard times lately.

Old 03-27-2007, 07:33 PM

653 posts, read 3,408,831 times
Default Appleton

Lots of "SMOOTH ROADS" in Appleton. Man, what are you smoking?? That is the most Inaccurate statement about Appleton, that could ever be uttered. With a few excetions (new roads), Appleton's streets are TERRIBLE. The traffic configurations are lousy as well. I know-lived there for over 30 years.

Old 03-28-2007, 04:39 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,866,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggB View Post
Lots of "SMOOTH ROADS" in Appleton. Man, what are you smoking?? That is the most Inaccurate statement about Appleton, that could ever be uttered. With a few excetions (new roads), Appleton's streets are TERRIBLE. The traffic configurations are lousy as well. I know-lived there for over 30 years.
LOL whens the last time you were out driving in appleton, like 10 years ago old timer? theres lots and lots and lots of new roads now. in fact the only old crappy ones i can think of right now are outagamie near alicia park, and wisconsin ave.

Old 03-28-2007, 05:44 PM

653 posts, read 3,408,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
LOL whens the last time you were out driving in appleton, like 10 years ago old timer? theres lots and lots and lots of new roads now. in fact the only old crappy ones i can think of right now are outagamie near alicia park, and wisconsin ave.
MY FRIEND, I have been out of Appleton for less than a year. Was Driving there just a few months ago as well. My family history in Appleton goes back to 1905. When it comes to Appleton, I truly know a thing or two about a thing or two--as far the city is concerned. You must not drive around much there--I can give you a list of crappy roads in that town that would fill a small book. If you want to know what "Good Roads" really are like, I suggest you experience places such as Rapid City South Dakota, Henderson Nevada, Tampa Florida, to name just a few places. As an OTR driver, I've seen all kinds of road conditions. In Big cities, In small "Hick" towns, and a lot in between. Appleton city streets, for the most part, are CRAP!! You will realize that some day when you experience a bent rim or suspension damage on your car, due too a foot deep pothole or a road with busted up concrete. I will argue this case to the end--simply because what you are saying is FALSE!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin