Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 01:33 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,997,344 times

Advertisements

I don't see anywhere in the original poster's post, where she mentions that she lives in Oshkosh. She doesn't actually state where she lives.

Anyway, Oshkosh really isn't the "armpit of Wisconsin". You all know by now I just moved to Oshkosh from San Diego, and while I can definitely complain about a few things in this city, there are just as many good things to point out.

No one single city is perfect. For every great city attribute, there's something to complain about. Oshkosh has its problems, but it has its good points too.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:26 PM

456 posts, read 1,398,953 times
FormerCaliforniaGirl has a point here. IndigoAmour, could you tell us what city you live in? Not to bash it, but to give us a sense of geography, size, etc.?

Old 12-23-2008, 02:29 PM

387 posts, read 1,333,805 times
She does mention in some other posts that she lives in Oshkosh.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:20 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,604,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Let's see... from Puget Sound, to Oshkosh, WI.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?????

Did you inherit the place or something? I'm sorry you don't like your life, but there had to be a whole bunch of red flags that went up when you started thinking about moving to Oshkosh. In fact, I'd think that almost aspect of the relocation would raise a red flag. Small town, no ocean, totally different landscape, different weather, different people. It's not as if Oshkosh is known as the "Seattle of Wisconsin" or anything. I wouldn't move to Oshkosh from Sioux Falls, SD, much less Puget Sound.

Old 12-23-2008, 05:05 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,875,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
I don't see anywhere in the original poster's post, where she mentions that she lives in Oshkosh. She doesn't actually state where she lives.

Anyway, Oshkosh really isn't the "armpit of Wisconsin". You all know by now I just moved to Oshkosh from San Diego, and while I can definitely complain about a few things in this city, there are just as many good things to point out.

No one single city is perfect. For every great city attribute, there's something to complain about. Oshkosh has its problems, but it has its good points too.
We'll have to agree to disagree

Old 12-27-2008, 01:17 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,086,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoAmour View Post
I moved here a year ago and I really am suffering. I can't figure out how to meet other lesbians. I don't drink alcohol like the rest of this state seems to be so heavily into so bars are out of the question. I think they are all hiding from all the conservative people around here. Afraid to be singled out and attacked by the religious right or the red neck mafia!
What the hell are you talking about? Red neck mafia? Seattle isn't exactly immune to random acts of red neckery. Check out this article in the Seattle Times from a couple years back. The Seattle Times: Local News: Enumclaw-area animal-sex case investigated

Quote:
I am so unhappy here, the weather sucks and there is nothing to do. The highlight of the summer seems to be an airshow and a country drunk-a-thon.
Judging by the "airshow" and "country drunk-a-thon" remarks I'm going to assume you live in Oshkosh too. You think the weather sucks compared to Seattle? Sure we have had a snowy winter but at least the sun shines here and it doesn't rain every other day. Your highs in summer are like 65 degrees. The main reason you think there's nothing to do is because you don't drink. The town is nicknamed Sloshkosh for a reason.

Quote:
Flat, Hot in summer, Frigid and buried in snow in winter, no tall trees, no fresh seafood, nothing to do.
If you think WI is too hot in the summer, then I urge you to never visit Florida or Missouri or Texas or anywhere else that isn't in the Pacific Northwest. No tall trees? Maybe in the city of Oshkosh (which I doubt because it has an arboretum), but Wisconsin has more forest land than Washington does. We also have more coastline than WA too, 16,000 lakes in the state of WI. As far as seafood goes, that's relative. I know plenty of people who go icefishing in the winter.

Quote:
If you are not Catholic or Lutheran forget finding a nice church.
All Rust Belt and Northeastern states are majority Catholic. There are Unitarian Universalist churches in Appleton and Ripon, they're pretty open-minded.

Overall you sound really bitter and snobby, like most people I have encountered from Seattle. They've all seemed to think Seattle is world class and that Seattle is equivalent to NYC, Chicago, SF, Boston, DC, etc. Perhaps you're experiencing the opposite of the "Seattle Freeze" right now.

Old 12-27-2008, 03:31 PM

178 posts, read 361,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Overall you sound really bitter and snobby, like most people I have encountered from Seattle. They've all seemed to think Seattle is world class and that Seattle is equivalent to NYC, Chicago, SF, Boston, DC, etc. Perhaps you're experiencing the opposite of the "Seattle Freeze" right now.
yeah, I agree, I've read so many posts from ppl either from Seattle or Portland and they act like the PNW is god's country and the rest of the country, esp. the midwest, just can't understand their greatness. Not really sure what it is but it's very much there.

no fresh seafood? really , you're first coming to that conclusion now?

there is a drinking culture in Wisc. given -- but to move across the country and then complain about the weather in the internet age is pretty silly. there's simply no reason not to be informed and know what you're getting into. If I decide to move to Georgia and then complain about the summer humitdity - well that's pretty stupid IMO.

in terms of the EAA Airshow, it's very unique, people from all over the world come every year. I don't like planes much, went once years ago and don't have plans to return, but it's a pretty neat festival that's very popular.

we don't have any tall trees in Wisc., no woods in fact. (except for the majority of the state)

enjoy your trip back to god's country. we can consider ourselves blessed to have you impart your Pacific Northwest knowledge on us for this short period of time.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:33 PM

14,334 posts, read 14,658,646 times
I can't resist doing this, in response to the tall trees remark! Just in my area, there are so many parks, so many trees, unreal. Manitowoc County has this huge cottonwood tree, I heard about it thought they were kidding me, until I saw it for myself!

Big Tree

Last edited by susancruzs; 12-27-2008 at 07:37 PM.. Reason: Label

Old 12-28-2008, 05:49 AM

69 posts, read 194,540 times
Default More to Bash in Wi

Quote:
I think they are all hiding from all the conservative people around here. Afraid to be singled out and attacked by the religious right or the red neck mafia!
I've been bashing Wi. for years. In general Wisconsin is very Homophobic. As my two children entered their twenties and weren't married I could see the eyebrows raise after they asked things like "... when those kids of yours going to give you some grandchildren"? "... oh, she doesn't have a boyfriend."
I can tell of many ignorant examples of how you are suppose to dress and act to avoid being suspected of "gay", or as many still call it, "*****". Even a young man interested in acting and dance and show business was sure to mean gayness in Wisconsin!
The happiest moment in my life was on Highway 29 traveling West with Green Bay's smoke stacks and church steeples in my rear view mirror. I've since read stories of other media people exiting Wisconsin. One of which was a successful female TV anchor in Minneapolis. She wrote of her days in Green Bay and when the call came from Minneapolis she and the kids were in the van heading West on highway 29 and they cheered in unison, "Were Out, Were OUT OF HERE!" That's a true story but I won't name anyone you'll have to research more on your own.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:47 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,471,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Let's see... from Puget Sound, to Oshkosh, WI.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?????

Did you inherit the place or something? I'm sorry you don't like your life, but there had to be a whole bunch of red flags that went up when you started thinking about moving to Oshkosh. In fact, I'd think that almost aspect of the relocation would raise a red flag. Small town, no ocean, totally different landscape, different weather, different people. It's not as if Oshkosh is known as the "Seattle of Wisconsin" or anything. I wouldn't move to Oshkosh from Sioux Falls, SD, much less Puget Sound.
Puget Sound isn't that blissful of a place, so I can't imagine why she is complaining to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin