Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 09:19 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,994,034 times

Advertisements

I have a question to throw at all you Wisonsinites.

I am just not doing very well with the profound amount of cigarette butts I see in the Fox Cities area. It's amazing how many cigarette butts litter Wisconsin!

I walked out of Walgreens today, and if I'd taken the time, I could have counted several hundred cigarette butts in their small parking lot.

The parking garage in the downtown building where I work is so littered with cigarette butts that you can't even see the asphalt anymore.

I went to the movies with my husband a few weeks ago, and in just the small area out in front of the theater, there were hundreds of cigarette butts.

About two weeks ago, late at night I went to the parking garage where I work and spent almost 2 hours picking up all the cigarette butts (and that was just on one level of the parking garage, and only about half of the level), and it's now back to the way it was before.

I carry garbage bags and rubber gloves in my car, and whenever I have time, I stop to pick up cigarette butts when I see them, but it's futile. One person, all by herself, cannot resolve this.

In San Diego (where I'm from), there are city ordinances against dropping cigarette butts in public areas. If you are caught throwing a cigarette on any of the beaches, you will be fined $271.00.

So here is my question. How would I go about getting some sort of petition or ballot or whatever (I'm not very savvy with city politics) to make it illegal to throw cigarette butts in public areas. And do you even think it's worth it? There is such a ridiculously high rate of smoking in this state, that I wonder if the non-smokers are the minority here? In California, the smokers are in the minority (outnumbered 4-1), so anti-smoking legislation passes easily.

Or, on a less political scale, how would I go about organizing events where people would volunteer to get together and pick up cigarette butts...which would not only clean up the mess but hopefully shame those who are tossing them into stopping?

Thanks for any input or wisdom you can offer. My poor back is getting so sore bending over and picking up cigarette butts. And I just have to believe that Wisconsinites care more about their cities than what I've seen. WHY would you want to litter them up with disgusting cigarette butts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 09:53 PM

335 posts, read 1,208,613 times
bringing CA to WI.........gotta love transplants......hey, lets ban and fine everything so we can be more like CA

Old 03-18-2009, 10:15 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,593,504 times
For someone who claims to hate their native state so much...your preoccupation with wishing the one you currently live in was more like your former, is a dead give away you are homesick and will be hitting the high road soon

Old 03-19-2009, 06:26 AM

261 posts, read 943,867 times
OMG!!!! ROFLMAO!!! Cali girl just can not get a break. As much as I agree with your distaste of cigarettes and cigarette butts you seem to stay at least one step out of line with your current surroundings and environment. YES, WI has too many smokers and some day we may all be blessed with the freedom to go to the local bar for a game of pool without filling our lungs with other patrons vices. Until then, I would suggest you keep the rubber gloves in your car, and start with a more local approach to your desire to clean up, possibly other people who work and park in your same parking garage. Good luck with your efforts and consider a K.I.S.S. policy.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:48 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,875,385 times
Why on earth would a couple of you bash Cali Girl for wanting to reduce litter? My home State has the same policy and a fine in place, and has had for years. It doesn't eliminate the problem completely, of course, but it does help. The State-wide smoking ban helps as well.

As Qwerty suggested, perhaps start with something really small like a group of neighbors, perhaps a church youth group or the scouts? Or maybe a "beautify our town" type of organization that includes picking up litter, but also perhaps planting some flowers or doing window boxes in an area that may need a little Spring color. You might find more volunteers if they can do something fun, in addition to the litter patrol.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:57 AM

387 posts, read 1,331,441 times
We adopted a roadway and help clean it. Now that the snow has melted I think we will be cleaning it up in the next few weeks.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:06 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,994,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoNE View Post
Why on earth would a couple of you bash Cali Girl for wanting to reduce litter?
Maybe they're smokers??

Really, I have no idea why I'm being bashed by some people here.

I'm not going back to California. It's a state in turmoil, and it's going downhill fast. I like Wisconsin (well, the winters are beating me up...but that's another story).

But it really wouldn't matter where I'm from, or where I live...litter is litter. And litter is bad for any city/state. I was just bouncing some ideas off of people here about how to reduce cigarette butt litter in Wisconsin. Maybe that was a bad idea?

Old 03-19-2009, 08:10 AM

647 posts, read 1,663,249 times
I applaud your efforts Cali, but as other have suggested, start small and work your way up from there. If you cleanup groups start attracting more people, then maybe the media will catch wind and maybe some political people will hear about it and do something.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:30 AM

14,321 posts, read 14,613,373 times
I haven't paid much attention because Wisconsin is so much cleaner than Illinois. I'll have to pay more attention to the parking lots, which to me are clean, no pop cans, lottery tickets, shopping carts are in the racks. I did notice that Wal Mart looked bad the other day but I think that is due to winter left overs rather than careless people.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:11 AM

335 posts, read 1,208,613 times
here is the problem with your post and no I am not a smoker or a fan of litter.........

How would I go about getting some sort of petition or ballot or whatever (I'm not very savvy with city politics) to make it illegal to throw cigarette butts in public areas. And do you even think it's worth it? There is such a ridiculously high rate of smoking in this state, that I wonder if the non-smokers are the minority here? In California, the smokers are in the minority (outnumbered 4-1), so anti-smoking legislation passes easily.

LITTERING IS ILLEGAL IN EVERY COUNTY AND CITY IN WISCONSIN.

Another problem is your judgmental nature. You claim that there is a ridiculously high rate of smoking in WI..... THis is a legal activity and whether or not you like smoking this is WI and Not california. We have all seen where californias regulations laws and lack of common sense have gotten them.....and we don't want it here.

GO back to picking up the butts, and don't complain about other peoples lifestyles....that is the problem with your post

Cheers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin