Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 09:12 PM

204 posts, read 752,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
I would be ok if it was a localy controlled ban. Ie Des Moines can ban their bars and Cedar Rapids won't. But the stupid state wide ban improsed itself on communities that were perfectly happy with the way things were going. In fact some bars in NW Iowa ignored the law because nobody complained. That is until out of town busy bodies showed up and fined the crap out of them.
Enacting the law statewide prevents bars in participating communities from losing customers to neighboring municipalities that would allow smoking. All or none is as fair as it gets, and considering the health consequences smoke brings, 'all' is the only reasonable choice. It's about time.

Old 05-09-2009, 05:03 AM

1,085 posts, read 3,568,079 times
I think it's more important for the people working there, who have to spend eight hours breathing in second hand smoke.

The non-smoking areas in restaurants were a joke. We just stopped in one last week. Two tables away this lady is puffing away like a freight train. One bite of food, one drag on the cigarette. Yuk!!

Old 05-09-2009, 07:59 AM

14,327 posts, read 14,623,274 times
You're right! My problems as a child came from being around smoke all the time, when I started working, smoking was allowed, everyone around me smoked. Fortunately for me, VW put in the no smoking rule, which was a big help. Second hand smoke if you are in it all day long is not a good thing and for someone with lung issues already very bad.

I really had less health issues when I started going to an allergist and he told me, if you want to be healthier in your 40s and 50s you have to change your lifestyle, your lungs are like a smoker and you've never smoked. He told me no more bars, bowling alleys or bingo!!! Now you can play bingo smoke free, but years ago it was smoking everywhere, hard to get away from it!

Old 05-09-2009, 08:41 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,124,101 times
Yep, we just have to make it fair for everybody, don't we.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:38 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,867,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekduo View Post
The weather is waaayyy different in Wisconsin than California.
yeah, people are a bit different though. most wisconsin people, myself included although i'm not a smoker and i do hate winter, can stand to be outside on the coldest of days. the smokers just smoke faster

i'm also surprised that 26 states have already put this into effect, i didn't know it was so many

Old 05-11-2009, 12:44 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,143,090 times
Thank goodness. Wisconsin is a progressive state and certainly belongs in the
list of states that ensures non-smokers don't have to endure hair and clothes that wreak like ashtrays. I'm surprised Wisconsin has taken this long.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:57 PM

2,663 posts, read 3,860,262 times
Il has this law. From what I have read, a lot of rural town establishments blatantly violate the law. Local police are in no mood to enforce what the local people (their bosses in effect), do not want enforced.

Good for these IL folks. I give them credit for not allowing Springfield and Chicago to dictate everything to them.

Hopefully WI has some people with backbones who will tell Madison to **** off and that you can't tell everyone how to live regarding this issue.

Having grown up and lived there for years though, I don't hold a lot of hope. The typical WI resident is a true wimp when it comes to allowing and even encouraging excessive gov't control.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:49 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,143,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Good for these IL folks. I give them credit for not allowing Springfield and Chicago to dictate everything to them.
Forget it, it will be a law everywhere, thankfully. If smoky Ireland and Paris have done it, it can be done everywhere. Boston, NY, Chicago, California all have it. The only states that don't have it are the backward states.

It's funny how smokers don't light up in restaurants when they're eating because they don't want to ruin their meals. But they're happy to ruin everyone else's.

I don't care what smokers do in their own home, they're not infringing on everyone's else's right to remain stink free. But when they go out in public, it's another story.

They don't get this though, so now we have to enact laws. The world has spoken.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:04 PM

14,327 posts, read 14,623,274 times
I don't get the backbone part and this oh woe is me attitude blame the government for excessive control is lame, as is saying, tell Madison to back off that's what you meant by the ****'s right, of course you weren't being rude! Telling people how to live, please, what a stretch!

People in other countries way more heavy duty smokers compared to here and yet as Quickdraw said, things have changed.

I'm sorry, smoke in your car, smoke in your home, smoke outdoors but not in my face or place where I might be.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:08 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times
Hooray...Government Tells Me How To Run My Business.

I hate smoking and I don't go to smoky bars but it should be up to bar/restaurant owners to decided if they want to become a smoky bar or not. What ever happened to personal choice and free market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin