Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should WI make Medical Marijuana Legal?
Yes, we should provide patients all medications that help their diseases 5 17.24%
NO - Marijuana has no place in current Western Medicine 3 10.34%
Yes - but not yet, more information on marijuana use and benefits is needed 1 3.45%
JUST MAKE IT LEGAL FOR ALL TO USE & GROW 24 82.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 03:49 AM

261 posts, read 944,149 times

Advertisements

I would be interested in what other Wisconsinites think of legalizing marijuana and to what degree. Currently 13 states allow medical marijuana use, 1 other state allows medical use as a defense in court, and 1 more allows Dr.'s to prescribe medical marijuana.

If Wisconsin were to legalize for the purpose of medical use, we could gain in taxation tens of millions of dollars a year. The overall social effect IMO of this type of legalization would be minimal after the initial bumps and kinks were worked out during the first 18 months to 2 years of implementing the proper regulations over the physicians who would provide the recommendations and the pharmacies that would provide the product.

IMO in WI where using the land to grow is more prevalent than using it to build, it would seem a natural choice for creating an additional income source for approved farmers to grow the medical marijuana.

I know if people only look at this issue as marijuana is a drug, therefore it is wrong and you have a moral objection to it, then this discussion will go nowhere. I am curious what other peoples thoughts are on the economic, social, and land effects would be with the possible legalization of marijuana in Wisconsin.

Thank you again for your opinions and time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 10:06 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,076,056 times
I'm all for it. I think it would be great for the state of Wisconsin and it could single-handedly save the paper industry in the Northern part of the state. Hemp can be used to make everything from rope to paper to clothing to flooring to tofu! A car has already been developed that runs hemp seed oil through a modified diesel engine.

As far as recreational use is concerned, cannabis has been proven to be safer than alcohol, and we all know how Wisconsinites feel about their booze. Ironically, the Partnership for a Drug Free America is mainly supported by the pharmaceutical industry, the big tobacco companies, and beer makers like Miller. Basically any company that wants you to buy your dope from them instead of being able to grow your own. Can you imagine the decline in beer and aspirin sales if cannabis were made legal?

Old 07-09-2009, 10:13 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,596,187 times
Oh sweet Jesus Yes, I am in favor of medical marijuana use and think Madison would be the perfect spot to set up shop. Don't know if our quality would be that great...but we could work on that.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
Oh sweet Jesus Yes, I am in favor of medical marijuana use and think Madison would be the perfect spot to set up shop. Don't know if our quality would be that great...but we could work on that.
Madison NORML
Madison already has medical marijuana laws in place. Our neighbor Michigan just approved medical marijuana last fall. I'm actually surprised Wisconsin and Minnesota don't already have it.

FYI, I don't think quality will be an issue whatsoever. Just call it a hunch.

Madison HempFest (Madison Hempfest) | MySpace.com

Old 07-10-2009, 06:33 PM

65 posts, read 292,437 times
I'm totally in favor of legalization; I actually hate marijuana (dear God it stinks!) but it's no more dangerous than alcohol and it seems to me that dealing with it wastes law enforcement/court resources that could be put to much better use.

Also the industrial potential of hemp and medical potential of marijuana make it a no-brainer to me.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:54 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,596,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Madison NORML
Madison already has medical marijuana laws in place. Our neighbor Michigan just approved medical marijuana last fall. I'm actually surprised Wisconsin and Minnesota don't already have it.

FYI, I don't think quality will be an issue whatsoever. Just call it a hunch.

Madison HempFest (Madison Hempfest) | MySpace.com
What I don't know my own city I knew of NORML a long time ago but certainly wasn't aware we can obtain legally with a prescription for medical purposes and we don't have clubs on street corners so what gives?

Old 07-11-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
What I don't know my own city I knew of NORML a long time ago but certainly wasn't aware we can obtain legally with a prescription for medical purposes and we don't have clubs on street corners so what gives?
Only Madison allows for the use of medical marijuana, the rest of the state is another story.

As far as dispensaries go, aside from California, most states don't have them out in the open. At least that's how it was when I lived in Colorado. You needed to be referred by a doctor. It's really a safety issue, so the place doesn't get robbed by thugs or raided by the feds.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:15 AM

261 posts, read 944,149 times
Default WoW!

I am very surprised by the poll results. Thank you all for the feedback and your votes. I wonder how long it will take the Wisconsin legislative government to realize how progressive their constituents are. I hear CA is gaining even more in tax revenue for the medical marijuana distribution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin