Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 04:45 PM

23 posts, read 119,906 times

Advertisements

Can anyone help us with some info about the Elkhorn area and the Fort Atkinson. We are looking to move from Maryland to WI but don't know much. I have family in Menomonie, but that seems soooo far. We really need advice on a nice small town with a warm feeling, to raise our three small children. My husband is a construction superintendent and I am a stay at home mom. So having a larger are close enough by for him to work is helpful. We really want to get away form the east coast area. WI winters make me a bit nervous but I think the quality of life and the wholesome ppl. are what is drawing us. Sorry to go on any info is appreciated!. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 05:03 PM

295 posts, read 546,662 times
I would Recc. Fort Atkinson all the way. Very clean, great schools, Nice homes, no crime, River and lake right in and around town. Fort will offer more to do than elkorn and fort has a really nice downtown. Upscale feel without the price. Plenty for children to do.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:09 PM

Thanks! After I posted I looked around a bit and many ppl. agree with you. Is the winter all ppl. say it is. Do ppl. get out and do things? Here everyone is trapped and we do not have many indoor places to go. Also what about employment in the construction business, I know it is ruff but My husband luckily can do lots of things. thanks kate

Old 12-03-2008, 06:13 PM

295 posts, read 546,662 times
My uncle owns a fastner company and His business is booming, he supplys a bunch of construction companys. people in milwaukee get out a lot, smaller towns tend to be different. Our streets get clean very quick in WI we are used to it so we dont let any snow bother us. I used to live in Fort Atkinson for 4 years, I currently live downtown Milwaukee.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:18 PM

Well thats what I figured, we get 6 inches and they cancel school, I am not kidding....If you had a choice between FA and LaCross, which many on this forum also like,What would it be? kate

Old 02-05-2009, 10:12 AM

14 posts, read 23,443 times
Fort Atkinson is in a real down-turn right now. An employer with 225 employees just sold to a place in Janesville where GM closed down. Not too much in the way of construction here. Best thing to do is go towards Madison or Milwaukee, not Fort Atkinson. I live here and my husband is laid off from union concrete finishing. The only thing to do in the winter is go to a bar or bowling.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:53 PM

10 posts, read 23,987 times
I work in Elkhorn and the biggest employer is the County of Walworth. It's an extremely small town with little to offer for entertainment. However, Lake Geneva is 15 minutes away and has plenty to offer for fun.

But it's beautiful!! Most people living here commute to Milwaukee which is an hour on the highways.

Winter is DANGEROUS. Lots of wind and snowdrifts on even days it's not snowing.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:02 PM

603 posts, read 2,358,366 times
I don't know too much first hand about either town but we have good friends who live in Elkhorn and they love it. Her husband commutes to Illinois. They have lived there for a few years and they also have children. La Cross is also very nice. It has a lot more nature with the bluffs over the Mississippi River and lots of places for camping, cross country skiing, etc.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:44 PM

746 posts, read 2,175,601 times
I lived in Ft. Atkinson and Jefferson several years ago. I hated it there. There is nothing to do and it's very boring. The countryside is all flat and uninteresting as well. I would never move there again. La Crosse, Madison, or possibly even Eau Claire would be much preferable as they all have plenty of activities as well as outdoor recreation.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:22 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,101,403 times
What do you expect from a town with 11,200 people(fort)???? It's a great place to raise your family with a great school system and if you are involved in your child's life your kid will be plenty busy. For adults yeah Don't waste your time to drive to madison 40min away just drive the full hour to Milwaukee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin